Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Maryland
THOR #16979
Offside Awning or reflective sun shade on Vegas/Axis

We have a 2016 vegas. It has a slide out on the offside We were at a track over the summer and sat near an Axis. The owner said the air conditioning could not keep up well at all when on the pavement in that heat (95+). Just looking at the Axis you could see the framing lines due to the cold inside and the hot outside and no real insulation.

What we want to do is attach something on the offside, not necessarily an awning but a reflective type of material to help offset heat in the summer, especially when on pavement. Big enough to hang over the slide out and hang down. Something we would put on only when needed in extreme temps.

I don't know if we could install an awning with the slide. Even if we could, we dont really want to spend the money on that for a space we would never use. We were thinking of installing some sort of snaps we could attach the reflective material to on the roof edge.

But looking at the edge of the roof we noticed a plastic track type strip that looks just like the same track that holds the awning material on the door side of the vegas. That got us wondering if we could just get some awning material and side it in and drape it over the slide and side of the vegas on those unbearable days.

I have a few other questions running through my mind.

Would snaps (or something else) be better then the slide on track? In the case of sudden high winds snaps would unsnap perhaps faster then the material could be slid out of the track.

If the track is the same and we could slide an awning material in, would the hardware for that be available off an awning anywhere? That way I could just attach it to the fabric I wanted.

Any other thoughts about this project?

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2019, 05:05 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Welcome!

I have thought about something like this for my Axis as well. I think if installed snaps or hooks on the the Drivers side you could attach a mesh material (you see this on some RV to block the sun.... its attach to the awning when its out). Plus it would allow you to see out the window and let more air flow in the RV.

I ended up tinting all my windows with cermic tint. They have a "Clear" tint (well 15% tint) that you put over ALL of your window - even the tinted ones (and including the front windshield). This rejects a ton of heat and UV rays (keeps interior looking like new longer).

Do a search on Cermic Window tint on this forum.

Plus there is many tips and trick to make your exsisting AC unit cool better so do a search on AC cooling as well.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:12 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Maryland
THOR #16979
Thanks! I will check out the ceramic tint for the heat. Not that the inside is anything to try and maintain. We really do own the brickyard special

I was wondering about those awning wall additions, if one of those would work hung up on the drivers side. Thats a really great point about being able to see out.

I was talking to someone last night and they suggested good suction cups to hold something on rather than trying to install snaps.

We've started working on all the little tips we have found on youtube and here to help the ac. None of us want to deal with another one of those insanely hot to the point you just want to cry but its too hot weekends by the track without being overly prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Welcome!

I have thought about something like this for my Axis as well. I think if installed snaps or hooks on the the Drivers side you could attach a mesh material (you see this on some RV to block the sun.... its attach to the awning when its out). Plus it would allow you to see out the window and let more air flow in the RV.

I ended up tinting all my windows with cermic tint. They have a "Clear" tint (well 15% tint) that you put over ALL of your window - even the tinted ones (and including the front windshield). This rejects a ton of heat and UV rays (keeps interior looking like new longer).

Do a search on Cermic Window tint on this forum.

Plus there is many tips and trick to make your exsisting AC unit cool better so do a search on AC cooling as well.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You may also want to put a cover on the front window if you haven't already (something like a Magneshade).

There is ton's of heat coming in from that big fishbowl out front. A cover on the outside knocks that down a lot.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Also you can purchase a big roll of reflective bubbles (at like Home Depot) and cut to fit to each and every window in the RV. It make it dark inside (which can be a good thing if your trying to sleep) but it sure does cut down the heat and dont cost much.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote