Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2016, 04:29 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1249
Another bad elec. connection

Pulled into campground today just before dark, plugged into shore power and nothing. Started checking and made sure had power to cable. Checked the transfer switch and nothing. Started the gen. and had power. Checked the outside receptacle on side of coach and noticed a little melted area and crack near where the hot leg post goes thru the back plate. Pulled the receptacle off and found the wires were loose and were only held in by the strain relief. The wires had about an 1/8" of copper showing. I removed insul. to reveal about 1/2" wire, reinserted, tighten and reinstalled receptacle.

Point is, you would be prudent to check those connections and not wait until you pull into a campground after a hard day on the road for it to fail. This is the second bad connection I have experienced on the Vegas, the first being the transfer switch.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:16 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Thanks for the heads up on this. Was the bad wiring connection on the shoreline cable or coach connector? Glad you were able to fix the problem.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:37 PM   #3

State: Florida
THOR #1249
The problem is on the coach. You can remove the receptacle for access by removing the 4 screws under the cover. Once you remove the screws you can pull the receptacle out to access the wire clamp screws and strain relief.
It has a rubber gasket, but mine showed signs on not sealing very good, so I am going to put some sealant around it. Once I loosened the strain relief, the black, hot wire slipped out of the clamp. Was held in only by the strain relief in the wire clamp and I am surprised that it has not failed before now.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:43 PM   #4

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Had the same thing happen on my Thor Ace 30.1. Camping World fixed it under my extended warranty. I actually got an updated transfer switch at the same time because they thought it was the problem.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:57 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #1812
Had the opposite , but scary problem with my Vegas. When I went to leave the campground ( conveniently Lazy Daze ), the shore power connection would not come apart - plug was melted to socket ! Taking it apart and diagnosing problem, looked like one wire was loose - tight enough to make contact, but loose enough to cause a lot of resistance and heat , melting assembly. It was a hot weekend, and we were running air all the time, as well as water heater, so we were loading it pretty well....😰. Replaced both the plug and socket - tightening everything ..😆 - and have not had any further issues.

Conveniently, could take the shuttle to Lazy Daze parts department for new parts. Told me if I had bought it there ( I bought it used) they would have given me the parts free -instead they charged me an arm and a leg ....
Old 12-14-2016, 11:41 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4919
The power connection on THOR products appears to be just another chronic electrical problem with the coaches.

So far, the one on my coach was with the plug that connects to "shore" power. There is also the intermittent reverse camera problem that seems to be on the top 5 list. Time will tell if more crops up.

Electrical and cabinetry seem to be the biggest Achilles heels of THOR products.