Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2017, 03:10 AM   #21
Kev

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quick question how often do you guys add the Sea Foam?

Old 07-13-2017, 03:36 AM   #22

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Kev, you need to change your model under your avatar, take some pride man! Lol

I always top my tank just before I get home, if I know I'm not going anywhere for a while I add about 3-4 cans to stabilize the fuel. Twice now we've had to sleep in the coach due to power outages, one of the reasons I top off the tank.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:26 AM   #23
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Kev, you need to change your model under your avatar, take some pride man! Lol

I always top my tank just before I get home, if I know I'm not going anywhere for a while I add about 3-4 cans to stabilize the fuel. Twice now we've had to sleep in the coach due to power outages, one of the reasons I top off the tank.
LOL Thanks Dave will do. We are going on a short trip tomorrow and I will take a pic of the new coach and change the avatar.

Kev
Old 07-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #24

Model: 31e Four Winds
State: Delaware
THOR #7159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Quick question how often do you guys add the Sea Foam?

At the end of the season, before a long trip, and if there are any issues. I add 2 ounces per gallon for each treatment. I keep enough in the pass though for any issues.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
The SeaFoam also helps to keep the gas from evaporating out of the carb so it makes it easier to start after storage. I always make sure SeaFoam has been run thru all my engine before I leave them for any length of time.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #26

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Dang....thought I had this generator issue fixed with running the Sea Foam through it. Nope!

On travel days when it is hot, which is about every day this summer out west, we run the generator when we stop for breaks. I will shut down the engine and start the generator to run the airs. We may take anywhere from a 10 minute break to a 30 minute break. Generator runs great. When pulling into a CG I start it when we go into the office to register so the coach starts to cool before going to our site and hooking up. On days when the temps are 90 and below it runs okay. On days when the temps are 93 or 94 and above it may run for 10 minutes but then shuts down when we are checking in at the CG.

Now I am back to thinking it has to be a heat issue or air vent issue. Of course I still get the "36" code so that is no help.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #27

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
Dang....thought I had this generator issue fixed with running the Sea Foam through it. Nope!

On travel days when it is hot, which is about every day this summer out west, we run the generator when we stop for breaks. I will shut down the engine and start the generator to run the airs. We may take anywhere from a 10 minute break to a 30 minute break. Generator runs great. When pulling into a CG I start it when we go into the office to register so the coach starts to cool before going to our site and hooking up. On days when the temps are 90 and below it runs okay. On days when the temps are 93 or 94 and above it may run for 10 minutes but then shuts down when we are checking in at the CG.

Now I am back to thinking it has to be a heat issue or air vent issue. Of course I still get the "36" code so that is no help.
Sounds like you have an overheat issue. There have been others in this and other forums who have reported similar issues both with the RV stationary and moving. There is a lot of heat in the engine, catalytic converter and exhaust system trapped under the RV. It may that under the right conditions, this overheats your generator, causing the shutdown.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:09 PM   #28

Model: 31e Four Winds
State: Delaware
THOR #7159
Mine had same code/issue. Added sea foam and replaced spark plug. Fuel will glaze it over.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:23 PM   #29

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I think I may have fixed my overheat shutdown problem.... knock on wood.

1) I cut an opening in the door strategically in front of the onan's intake, and added a plastic louver I found at west marine
2) using some silicone rubber aircraft engine baffle (rubber sheets) and some aluminum angle, I fabricated up a little baffle to duct the air from the new louver in the door to the generator, and to prevent the air from pulling in from behind the door and under the coach
3) I insulated the fuel hose all the way back to the gas tank, and routed the line to tuck it in against the frame, on the opposite side from the chassis engine tailpipe, and tied it up well. It was hanging loose, down in the hot airflow from the chassis engine, and relatively close to the driveshaft...which isn't all that far from that big muffler

4) while i was at it, I changed the oil, air filter, and fuel filter for the genny....but I don't think this really had anything to do with it.

We didn't get too many really hot days on our recent trip west to the grand canyon, but did have a couple really hot days on the way home up well into the 90's. It ran just fine!
Old 07-14-2017, 10:50 PM   #30

State: California
THOR #8296
Quote:

HI.....Rodger here. We have a 2012 Hurricane..Bought Brand New...Since day one there have been same issue as you are having. HAve gone back and forth with Thor and Cummis..Thor says call Cummis. Cummis say poor installation...5 years later after trying to give more air venlation and dollars spent. Still can't get the 5500 Genset to stay on in ordertorunthe AC in the main cabin while driving on Hot days. THere is no error to the system other than there should have been proper air circulation...This is a Manfacture defect and Thor / Cummins won't own up too it..... WHy should we as consumes have to find a fix to their problem UNHAPPY CAMPER.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:56 PM   #31

THOR #908
for what it's worth, adding to my previous post...
I have no proof, but I'm convinced that the primary issue was fuel vaporization in the fuel feed line.
Increasing the cooling air helps overall, and helps the airflow over the fuel filter and pump
and getting my fuel line insulated and tucked out of the way of the furnace blast form the V-10, as well as away from the roasting hot blacktop just below helps with fuel vapor lock
Old 07-15-2017, 01:14 AM   #32

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Blw2, no idea how you insulated your fuel line so this is just a suggestion. There is a ceramic wrap made for motorcycle headers, it comes in a roll. You wet the roll to make it pliable then wrap, fasten the ends with stainless wire,it is a very effective insulator.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:55 PM   #33

THOR #908
Yeah, i looked into a few of those sorts of options....
but that firewall side stuff is expensive for short lengths.

This is all back along the frame, where it's not getting nearly that hot so I just used plumber's pipe insulation from the hardware store.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:41 PM   #34

Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Alabama
THOR #5880
Have been following your post. I have the same problem with our 2015 hurricane 34f, My son drove it to Florida Saturday, generator was shutting down about every 30 minutes a friend suggested loosing fuel cap Problem solved. The question now is it a bad vent line or fuel cap?
Old 07-17-2017, 11:49 PM   #35

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh22776 View Post
Have been following your post. I have the same problem with our 2015 hurricane 34f, My son drove it to Florida Saturday, generator was shutting down about every 30 minutes a friend suggested loosing fuel cap Problem solved. The question now is it a bad vent line or fuel cap?
You mean you loosened your RV tank gas cap? That could screw up your engine computer and its sensors causing the engine light to come on.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:54 AM   #36

Model: 2017 Windsport 34F
State: Michigan
THOR #7673
I'm having this issue too. Genset shuts down after about 15 minutes of driving. Brand new, only a few hours on the genset.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:49 AM   #37

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
We will still be out on the road for another month at least. Once the temps start staying in the high 80's I will start trying to run the generator while traveling at the end of the day again and see what happens. I guess if it goes back to running okay during cooler conditions then it is probably a heat issue. If not then it could be a combination of too much heat plus fuel venting.

It certainly sounds like this has been a problem that comes up from time to time though.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:33 AM   #38

Model: 2017 Windsport 34F
State: Michigan
THOR #7673
Quote:
We will still be out on the road for another month at least. Once the temps start staying in the high 80's I will start trying to run the generator while traveling at the end of the day again and see what happens. I guess if it goes back to running okay during cooler conditions then it is probably a heat issue. If not then it could be a combination of too much heat plus fuel venting.

It certainly sounds like this has been a problem that comes up from time to time though.

Yeah I will be following this thread with interest. I am on the road right now, can't do much. I plan on buying some seafom. This is a brand new generator, so you can rule out the filter and the fuel pump. It was 80 degrees yesterday when it shutdown after 10 minutes of driving, so not too hot out.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:11 PM   #39

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
3weeks ago we were in New Mexico, 104degrees and genny shut down, got to looking and found my oil filter was a turn to loose. Tightened it up and things are just fine. my 2cents.............Jerry
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:27 PM   #40
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtroop View Post
Yeah I will be following this thread with interest. I am on the road right now, can't do much. I plan on buying some seafom. This is a brand new generator, so you can rule out the filter and the fuel pump. It was 80 degrees yesterday when it shutdown after 10 minutes of driving, so not too hot out.
I wouldn't rule out the fuel pump. Onan had a run of bad fuel pumps a while back and they could still be making appearances. The Onan in my prior class c required a new fuel pump with less than 10 hours on the generator.

I had my coach out this passed weekend and ran the generator out and back home for AC purposes. 95 degrees outside and the generator ran both directions (2 hours each way) with no issues.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote