Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2022, 04:51 AM   #1
dlt

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #23753
is there a drain hole on back window

It is Chateau 22e. On the cold winter morning, there is a lot of water/moisture on the back window, then fill the bottom gap, and overflow to the bed.

I noticed there is a drain hole on the outside, but not inside. Does your RV has the same issue? Or is this just the manufacture flaw on my unit?

Picture is the drain hole outside of the back window
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3704.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	40427  

Old 12-23-2022, 11:55 AM   #2

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlt View Post
It is Chateau 22e. On the cold winter morning, there is a lot of water/moisture on the back window, then fill the bottom gap, and overflow to the bed.

I noticed there is a drain hole on the outside, but not inside. Does your RV has the same issue? Or is this just the manufacture flaw on my unit?

Don't think that is a drain hole. Atwood makes plugs to keep them from whistling when they are mounted on the side of the coach. If your window is wet on the inside it is from condensation. When it gets cold outside moisture in the air inside your RV will condense on the cold window. Sometimes a quite large amount of water will deposit in the bottom frame of the window. The best fix for this is double pain windows but they are usually only available on more expensive RV's
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 06:54 PM   #3

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:

Turn on your exhaust fan or the moisture can cause damage. Many times it can go into the insulation in the walls and ceiling and ruin it
Old 12-23-2022, 11:31 PM   #4

Model: Challenger
State: Maryland
THOR #25281
Quote:

Hello and sorry for your issues. You are correct in that the slot you showed in your picture is a slot to allow rain water and moisture to drain from around the outside of the window. Now , lets talk about the inside. If you are having a moisture problem inside the coach it would probably be best if you used a dehumidifier to control this moisture. That is a sure fire way to start mold in an rv and in your insulation behind the wall and in the roof. Something too think about anyway. Good luck and safe travels sir.
Old 12-24-2022, 07:41 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds Siesta 24 SA
State: South Carolina
THOR #13919
I had the same problem with my 2007 Four Winds Siesta when we bought it.
I drilled an 1/8" hole from the outside drain to the bottom of the inside track and it was big enough to keep the track drained. I had to really be careful not to hit the bottom of the window but still come out in the bottom of the track.
Be careful, but if you hit the glass and it cracks you can then replace the window with a dual pane unit.
GoodLuck;
Harry