Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2019, 12:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Texas
THOR #1403
One Jack leaking fluid while down

We have the 2015 Challenger. The right rear jack has leaked fluid while down sitting in the RV park.

I have heard the Lippert jacks cannot be rebuilt and or there is no repair kit available

I have seen the videos on YouTube of one being replaced

I have seen posts here on other leak situations but not with the jack so posting this as new

I emailed Lippert for information on the correct part. I was asked two questions ,how many mounting holes on one side and what color was it. I said 13 and black.

I was then given the part and cost

$465.95

8,000 lbs Aluminum Jack with 9" Footpad and Full Mounting Holes

I am curious if anyone else has had this situation and if you replaced it yourself or had it done and if so what was the cost ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	18167  

Old 06-14-2019, 01:49 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
THOR #12434
Check to see if the cylinder is leaking, or a fitting
Old 06-14-2019, 03:32 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #1403
Thanks LC. It seems to have run down the leg from a defective seal and not a fitting but will take a closer look as you suggested.

This happened last September after our last RT and back in the RV park. It evidently leak out the fluid when I put the leveling jacks down. I noticed it latter

We are in snow country so waited through the winter to deal with it having no other RT's planned. We had snow in May still but are in the Summer weather now so this is on my Spring to do list

It has not leaked any more since when it was brought down. So now I will be seeing what happens when I retract it.

I needed to get the part cost and info as in case I find it too much of a DIY job I will need to call on a Mobile RV repair guy and have the part for him to install in any case. We are Full Timers so taking it in to a shop somewhere is not the first choice
Old 06-14-2019, 10:11 PM   #4

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
Take the coach to a small hyd, shop and see if they will repair it
Old 06-17-2019, 02:44 AM   #5

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops R View Post
We have the 2015 Challenger. The right rear jack has leaked fluid while down sitting in the RV park.

I have heard the Lippert jacks cannot be rebuilt and or there is no repair kit available

I have seen the videos on YouTube of one being replaced

I have seen posts here on other leak situations but not with the jack so posting this as new

I emailed Lippert for information on the correct part. I was asked two questions ,how many mounting holes on one side and what color was it. I said 13 and black.

I was then given the part and cost

$465.95

8,000 lbs Aluminum Jack with 9" Footpad and Full Mounting Holes

I am curious if anyone else has had this situation and if you replaced it yourself or had it done and if so what was the cost ?
That is the same jack as mine leaking also, I think in my case and maybe yours that the jacks are pushing down to there travel limits is why it leaks so I tried putting a couple of 2x6 under the feet and so far it hasn't leaked any since.

But I would think any company that rebuilds hydraulic cylinders should be able to fix it as the only have O-rings and a dust seal on the end.