Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2018, 10:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #8054
Ongoing Schwintek Saga

A few months back I reported that the slide rail screws on the Schwintek slide system had a tendency to come loose and cause problems.
I found another Trojan horse. The motors are kept in place by a screw called the Motor Retention Screw. If this works loose (like mine did) it allows the motor to dislodge from the Bearing Block and will then allow the motor to spin and destroy the wiring harness. this was the same motor I just had replaced. Either the tech that did it didn't tighten the screw or it worked its way out. That little 1/4" screw just cost me another $500.00.
Please check and monitor those Retention screws. You can see them when the slide is extended. They are at the top of each side of the slide and go right through the rubber guard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	12815   Click image for larger version

Name:	slide2.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	12816  

Old 09-15-2018, 05:01 AM   #2

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Thanks for the heads up. I will check mine tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:37 PM   #3

State: Texas
THOR #12533
Ongoing Schwintek Saga

The motor retention screw may be in the wrong place. Mine wasn't hitting the opening in the motor so it was just putting sideways pressure on the motor. I added a second retention screw on the inside to be sure it hit the motor opening. Also the soft aluminum of that rail may have stripped. Consider putting in a larger diameter self tapping screw as well. Mine stripped as well.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:53 AM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #8054
Quote:
Originally Posted by houche View Post
The motor retention screw may be in the wrong place. Mine wasn't hitting the opening in the motor so it was just putting sideways pressure on the motor. I added a second retention screw on the inside to be sure it hit the motor opening. Also the soft aluminum of that rail may have stripped. Consider putting in a larger diameter self tapping screw as well. Mine stripped as well.

Thanks. I will do just that.