Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2019, 12:39 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29H
State: British Columbia
THOR #13889
Outlaw 29H Winterizing Question?.

I have an old RV water pump and was wondering if I can use the city water connection to fill up the pipes with antifreeze or do I have to crawl under the fridge and fill the pipes from the onboard pump?

Old 10-23-2019, 01:56 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagimp View Post
I have an old RV water pump and was wondering if I can use the city water connection to fill up the pipes with antifreeze or do I have to crawl under the fridge and fill the pipes from the onboard pump?
It will work great for all of the coach but the water pump. The pump's one-way valve is after the diaphragm and will stop the antifreeze from getting into the pump.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:35 AM   #3

THOR #13889
Well how does using compressed air blow out part of the line?
Old 10-23-2019, 11:00 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
See if you can find your water tank. There will likely be a place to hook into just before the pump to feed in antifreeze (open panels, lift up the bed, etc.).

If none of that works you can always simply dump a gallon or two into the fresh tank and turn on the pump.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:10 PM   #5

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
Winterizing

In the past I have blown out the water lines with a bike pump hooked up to a blow out plug but got an Air Hawk cordless pump and it worked perfectly but put the water regulator on first to control the pressure and then the plug. Had all of the lines done in 10 minutes, most of the time was going back and forth in and out of the coach turning taps on and off. Used my antifreeze extension pipe for the first time that screws into the water pump bypass hose and was all done in another 10 minutes.
The by pass hose that comes off the pump is only a foot long , the extension is 5 feet allowing me to put the jug of antifreeze on the ground.
Coveman2
2018 Compass 23 TB
Old 10-23-2019, 02:07 PM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Well how does using compressed air blow out part of the line?
I've had no issues (when I was in the north and needing to) with either antifreeze or blowing out lines...
Reality for blowing out lines - you don't need to get every drop of water out. the problem with freezing is expansion - ice takes more room than water. As long as there is no point that can't safely expand - a little water freezing isn't an issue...
Antifreeze down drains is important as traps can freeze in a way that expansion has no place to go - but the normal feed lines being 'mostly empty' is perfectly fine.
I typically drained fresh water tank, bypassed and drained water heater, connected airline (regulated to 35psi) to city connection and opened each faucet (don't forget toilet and outside shower) one at a time until only air came out. I poured a gallon of antifreeze - splitting between each drain and toilet - getting into each trap, toilet bowl, and flowing into gray and black tanks (again tanks themselves not being an issue - lots of room to expand - but wanting antifreeze in line between tanks and dump valve.)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:13 PM   #7

THOR #13889
So my uptake of blowing out using city water inlet could also be used to put antifreeze into the lines. Correct?
Old 10-23-2019, 11:06 PM   #8
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
So my uptake of blowing out using city water inlet could also be used to put antifreeze into the lines. Correct?
Well.. there is nothing to 'push' the antifreeze through the city water inlet and into all the pipes...
Using the water pump side of things gives that 'push'.
The air pressure from compressor is the 'push' for blowing out lines with air.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:59 AM   #9

Model: Outlaw 29H Class C
State: California
THOR #7010
Quote:

On my 29H there’s a bypass behind the panel under the fridge, between the fresh water tank and pump. I haven’t used it, but it looks to be a simple setup to allow you to put a hose into a bottle/bucket of antifreeze and let the pump suck it up.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:59 AM   #10

THOR #13889
My problem with going under the fridge panel is that I’m in a wheelchair and have problems getting on and off the floor. (Paraplegic)
This is why I was thinking of pumping (35psi) through the city water connection.
Do you think the antifreeze will mix with the water from the house pump. I live in Vancouver BC and temp only reaches 10*C minimum.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:02 PM   #11

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I have used the camco RV Antifreeze pump to pump antifreeze through the water pipes
and also to fill the fresh water tank when a water hookup is not available. It works great for either just remember to run clean water to remove any antifreeze
Coveman2
Old 10-29-2019, 05:11 AM   #12

THOR #13889
Yup got my brother to give me a hand using the conventional way. Going to have to take a second look at the system next spring.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:42 PM   #13

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
I don't understand why anyone would blow out the lines OR put freeze in the FW tank. Put a camco bypass kit ( about $15.00) on the suction side of the pump. I do a 32' trailer and a 27'. It takes two gal and 15 min for each trailer by myself. No going in and out. Run each faucet and toilet until the pink comes out. Empty the low point drain if you have then. My 32' Keystone does not have them. Don't forget to do the small hose between the pump and the city water connection. Release this from the outside connection with a screwdriver. push in the check valve behind the removable screen

Don't forget to bypass and drain the WH first.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:47 PM   #14

THOR #15553
Quote:
No you need to pump ONLY antifreeze into the lines using a pump bypass kit.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:51 PM   #15

THOR #15553
Quote:
My problem with going under the fridge panel is that I’m in a wheelchair and have problems getting on and off the floor. (Paraplegic)
This is why I was thinking of pumping (35psi) through the city water connection.
Do you think the antifreeze will mix with the water from the house pump. I live in Vancouver BC and temp only reaches 10*C minimum.
In your case I would get some help with the pump. Yes water will mix the antifreeze. Not good. Put straight anti freeze in the lines nothing in the tank.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:42 PM   #16

Model: Freedom Elite 28h
State: Colorado
THOR #16027
This is our first year dealing with winterizing our RV. Just purchased our freedom elite in July. I decided to use air to clear things out because we liked to camp in cooler weather. Using air allowed us to take out the rv a few times in October without having to fill the lines with antifreeze. Then blow out the lines again when we got back.

We probably camp later into the year than some do.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:29 AM   #17

THOR #13889
I’m in a wheelchair and do not want to bother to my brother or have to pay for it to be done. Does anyone have an idea on how to put this bypass and suction in the outside storage under the FW tank?
Old 11-02-2019, 03:24 AM   #18

THOR #15553
You can have the pump put where ever you want. You will need someone to do some plumbing for you to locate the bypass valve at a location you can access. The t and valve go between the water inlet and the pump. leave the pump where it is and have a long loop run or relocate the pump so you can access it in the future.