Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2019, 05:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 37RB (Class A)
State: Georgia
THOR #13653
Outlaw 37RB Inverter Mounting Problem

The ?25? lb inverter on my Outlaw 37RB was mounted to the top of the basement compartment (the fibrous material, not wood or steel) with four wood screws. Needless to say, that design failed miserably in under 5k miles. Thankfully, I had bins underneath, so it had a soft touchdown and those supported the piece, until we landed. I'm looking at remounting options and other than two-sided adhesive tape and larger screws (not longer, but wider), looking to see if anyone a) has had this same experience and if so, b) how did you approach the fix? thanks.

Old 11-24-2019, 06:52 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
What about stainless steel toggle bolts if there is space on top of the bin for the toggle portion. You will likely need to enlarge the hole to get the toggle end through and use a washer under the head of each bolt used. Stainless suggested only for insurance of no rust occurring above the bin assuming it is open to weather and road grime.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:55 AM   #3

THOR #13653
That's a pretty good idea, thanks. Given the type of material to which I'm mounting it, I'm concerned the movement when driving could have those cut through, but maybe those and the double sided tape to dampen movement. Really bad design is bugging me.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:30 PM   #4

THOR #2631
I guess I suggested toggle bolts because they would allow inverter mounting without needing access to the top side of the bin, like a bolt and nut/washer solution would require. I was also concerned (after thinking about it) that with toggle bolts, you have to enlarge the bin holes to get the spring loaded toggles through (then they pop open on the top side)......but, if the space on the top side of the bin is subject to road debris and water intrusion you might also need to add a large rubberized metal flat washer (or separate metal washer and rubber washer facing the up side) on the “inner” top side of the bin.......to act as a seal at the mounting hole openings. If you are concerned about toggles cutting through the bin top, perhaps taping the toggle arms a little prior to installation would help prevent any toggle metal edges from cutting back through the bin top.....although I would think once snugged up, the inverter would not move very much. You could also file any sharp edges on the toggles prior to install.

Probably a suitably thick piece of pressure treated plywood on the top side of the bin, that would accept inverter mounting screws (suitable for use into treated wood) would be a solution too, but I "assumed" that you don’t have easy access to the top of the bin from underneath the coach; and that you also can’t slide a piece of treated plywood into that space either.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:01 AM   #5

THOR #13653
javelin. Thanks. Ended up going with a Molly screw and double sided 3M tape to remount. We'll see if it holds up. If not, may go toggle. Didn't want to go larger diameter hole....yet. thanks again.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:42 AM   #6

THOR #2631
Hi, glad to help when possible. Your Molly Bolt solution is probably better than the toggle bolt because you can remove the threaded screw and the collapsed molly nut/body stays put (depending on thickness of the cubby wall and molly selected)......so you could drop the inverter in future and then remount it using the same in place hardware and removable bolt. Not having to enlarge the mounting hole is also a better solution too (reducing chance of water intrusion). So you should now be able to enjoy a few more trouble free miles ahead. Good job!