Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2019, 02:55 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #16758
Outside Television Power

We recently purchased a used 2015 Thor A.C.E 30.2 The outdoor television has no power to it??? The power chord goes through a small opening where the rest of the cables pass and then disappears. I have no idea where this power chord goes and figured I'd ask before I start drilling holes.

I have checked every fuse and circuit breaker I can find. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

Old 09-18-2019, 02:59 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
It plugs into an outlet on the other side of the wall. No need to drill holes.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:42 AM   #3

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Nevada
THOR #11264
Quote:
Originally Posted by trwgunny@yahoo.com View Post
We recently purchased a used 2015 Thor A.C.E 30.2 The outdoor television has no power to it??? The power chord goes through a small opening where the rest of the cables pass and then disappears. I have no idea where this power chord goes and figured I'd ask before I start drilling holes.

I have checked every fuse and circuit breaker I can find. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Tom I don’t have the same model but mine goes through the wall and it comes through under the bathroom lavatory. From there it strings over a separation wall into another small compartment where there is an electrical outlet it plugs into. Hope it helps, I just changed out all 3 Sucky TVs and got rid of the Axxera trash too. Life is now much better when “roughing it”. Lol
Old 09-18-2019, 04:48 AM   #4

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Nevada
THOR #11264
Also I know this sounds crazy, however you might check your GFI outlet to see if it’s popped. I had a similar problem with my old Axxera and I checked the store/use switch several times and every breaker at least twice and finally noticed the GFI in the bathroom had popped. I reset it and the power came on to the Axxera. It shouldn’t have anything to do with it but it did.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:13 AM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn1 View Post
Also I know this sounds crazy, however you might check your GFI outlet to see if it’s popped. I had a similar problem with my old Axxera and I checked the store/use switch several times and every breaker at least twice and finally noticed the GFI in the bathroom had popped. I reset it and the power came on to the Axxera. It shouldn’t have anything to do with it but it did.
Yes
The outside TV is connected inside to a hidden GFI outlet
Generally on inside wall directly behind outside TV, hidden by cabinets.
Because it’s on the GFI circuit, the one & only GFI breaker is generally the bathroom outlet which controls the 6-8 GFI outlets.

So, if you have an Inverter that came stock with the Coach, generally the GFI circuit is not connected to the Inverter line and can only be powered via genny or 110 volt shore power.

That is, if you want your outside TV to run off the Inverter you’ll need to add an extension outlet with junction box off the standard outlet line. Then plug in outside TV to the new Inverter powered outlet.

It’s a fairly straight forward process. You just gotta think it thru.

That’s what I did in my Vegas.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:40 AM   #6

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #16529
I have the same model and just went thru the cabinets while installing a sound bar and subwoofer for the outside tv. Removed the drawer directly under the stove and there is an single outlet attached to the cabinet on the right. Check it with an electrical meter then try the GFIs and make sure they and or the breaker is not tripped .

Armando
Old 09-19-2019, 10:58 AM   #7

State: New York
THOR #16758
Outside Television Power

Thank you all, Everyone of your suggestions has been helpful.
After being stumped for a couple days I found the outlet by removing the cupholders situated behind the couch and directly behind the outside television.
The outlet has no power and as one of the reply's pointed out I've checked every breaker and fuse twice.

BUT the GFI in bathroom suggestion makes total sense. I will try that after work today and let you all know.

Thank you
T
Old 09-17-2020, 05:19 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34j
THOR #20207
Outside Television Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by FstopMiami View Post
I have the same model and just went thru the cabinets while installing a sound bar and subwoofer for the outside tv. Removed the drawer directly under the stove and there is an single outlet attached to the cabinet on the right. Check it with an electrical meter then try the GFIs and make sure they and or the breaker is not tripped .

Armando
Hi Armando,

How did you install your subwoofer? Did you hook it straight to the battery? Or is it ran through an inverter? I purchased a powered sub and would like to install it to the outside TV of my RV. Anything helps thank you.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:20 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 34j
THOR #20207
Quote:

Armando
Hi Armando,

How did you install your subwoofer? Did you hook it straight to the battery? Or is it ran through an inverter? I purchased a powered sub and would like to install it to the outside TV of my RV. Anything helps thank you.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:30 PM   #10

THOR #16529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauzers View Post
Hi Armando,

I installed in one of the storages next to and below the tv, right above it is my Kitcheners cabinets which has an ac outlet under there, I drilled up from the storage sealed the hole and plugged it in as it is connect to the sounder by way of bluetooth. 180.00 dollars later it Sounds amazing

Armando
Old 09-17-2020, 08:18 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by trwgunny@yahoo.com View Post
Thank you all, Everyone of your suggestions has been helpful.
After being stumped for a couple days I found the outlet by removing the cupholders situated behind the couch and directly behind the outside television.
The outlet has no power and as one of the reply's pointed out I've checked every breaker and fuse twice.

BUT the GFI in bathroom suggestion makes total sense. I will try that after work today and let you all know.

Thank you
T
If you have an inverter the TV receptacle will be powered through the inverter. If it is Xantrex inverter then the inverter DO NOT need to be on.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:30 PM   #12

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
FYI on the 30.2 the outside TV power is behind the sofa. Remove the right side cup holder under the window and look to the right in the cubby. There’s an outlet there. Had to have my daughter plug in the new tv as her hands were small enough to fit in the tiny space. It’s a dual outlet so you can plug in a sound bar or woofer and feed the cord down to the hole on the left side of the TV.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:19 PM   #13

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
Quote:
I installed in one of the storages next to and below the tv, right above it is my Kitcheners cabinets which has an ac outlet under there, I drilled up from the storage sealed the hole and plugged it in as it is connect to the sounder by way of bluetooth. 180.00 dollars later it Sounds amazing

Armando

Have you gone outside of your coach while using the subwoofer? I’m curious as to the extent to which the sound from the sub would be noticeable outside. I’ve thought about installing a sub, but don’t want to be a nuisance to my RV park neighbors.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:58 PM   #14

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn1 View Post
It has everything to do with it. The TV is plugged into a ground-level storage compartment which must be GFI protected.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:08 AM   #15

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
It has everything to do with it. The TV is plugged into a ground-level storage compartment which must be GFI protected.

Not on the 30.2 it’s not. The plug is located in the coach behind the sofa under the window. Pull the right side cup holder and look to the right and it’s there. It’s a standard plug not GFCI. I change the outdoor TV in my 30.2 just this summer.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:01 AM   #16

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnemarc View Post
Not on the 30.2 it’s not. The plug is located in the coach behind the sofa under the window. Pull the right side cup holder and look to the right and it’s there. It’s a standard plug not GFCI. I change the outdoor TV in my 30.2 just this summer.
Is it a standard outlet controlled by a GFI?. Only one is needed at the head of the string. The outlet may not be outside but the device it controls is.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:14 AM   #17

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
My outside TV is on the 1/2 bath GFI
Old 01-07-2021, 12:10 AM   #18

THOR #16529
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTig View Post
Have you gone outside of your coach while using the subwoofer? I’m curious as to the extent to which the sound from the sub would be noticeable outside. I’ve thought about installing a sub, but don’t want to be a nuisance to my RV park neighbors.

Sorry, Just saw this. The subwoofer is for the outside TV, so no issues with any neighbors as we only use it during the day.

Armando
Old 11-03-2022, 06:54 PM   #19

THOR #28403
Thanks so much for this tip. Put a brand new TV outside that wasn’t working. Seen your comment, flipped the bathroom breaker and it turn back on. Saved me hours of trouble shooting.