Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2024, 04:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum SE27
State: Texas
THOR #31390
Tire wear on one side

2022 Thor Quantum SE27 29'

Folks, I had to replace my driver side front tire because it wore too quickly on the outer edge (about 1.5 inch) at 15k miles. I took it to Southern Tire near Conroe TX and got it replaced in abundance of caution. Now (at 22k miles) the passenger side is having the same issue (also outer edge), it has not lost the tread like the left tire but will eventually. Solution is to get the alignment checked and fixed before my upcoming 4000 mile trip. But the questions are,

Is it common for RVers, is it fixable? Should I go to another tire center (Houston area preferred if you have any recommendations)? I bring my RV to my drive way on a regular basis to do all kinds of fun projects on my RV, the drive way has a 1.5 inch bump up and I wonder the jolt of making a turn as I climb the driveway is causing the alignment to go wrong. Thoughts?

Old 04-22-2024, 05:14 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsraja View Post

Folks, I had to replace my driver side front tire because it wore too quickly on the outer edge (about 1.5 inch) at 15k miles. I took it to Southern Tire near Conroe TX and got it replaced in abundance of caution. Now (at 22k miles) the passenger side is having the same issue (also outer edge), it has not lost the tread like the left tire but will eventually. Solution is to get the alignment checked and fixed before my upcoming 4000 mile trip. But the questions are,

Is it common for RVers, is it fixable? Should I go to another tire center (Houston area preferred if you have any recommendations)? I bring my RV to my drive way on a regular basis to do all kinds of fun projects on my RV, the drive way has a 1.5 inch bump up and I wonder the jolt of making a turn as I climb the driveway is causing the alignment to go wrong. Thoughts?
Unless you are hitting the driveway at ludicrous speed that shouldn't have bothered the alignment. Have you had the coach in for an alignment?
Ford aligns the front end prior to the coach being built on the chassis. It has always been recommended to load the coach for travel then take to a truck shop that can get a MH on the rack for an alignment. The loaded weight is the key for a proper alignment.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 05:22 PM   #3

THOR #31390
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Unless you are hitting the driveway at ludicrous speed that shouldn't have bothered the alignment. Have you had the coach in for an alignment?
Ford aligns the front end prior to the coach being built on the chassis. It has always been recommended to load the coach for travel then take to a truck shop that can get a MH on the rack for an alignment. The loaded weight is the key for a proper alignment.
Yes, Southern Tire did the alignment and fixed the alignment last year.

Wow, you are talking about $200 alignment before every trip?
Old 04-22-2024, 05:40 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Quote:
Yes, Southern Tire did the alignment and fixed the alignment last year.

Wow, you are talking about $200 alignment before every trip?
No, no alignment every trip.
In your original post you didn't say you had it aligned. Have you weighed the loaded coach? Many RVr's blissfully go through their travels not knowing if the coach is overloaded. Tires also wear prematurely from having the wrong tire pressure for the weight they are carrying. In your case, wearing on the outside edge might be a case of too much toe out.
Finally, if you intend to drop the coin for new tires it's always good to check alignment during the tire install.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 06:02 PM   #5

THOR #31390
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
No, no alignment every trip.
In your original post you didn't say you had it aligned. Have you weighed the loaded coach? Many RVr's blissfully go through their travels not knowing if the coach is overloaded. Tires also wear prematurely from having the wrong tire pressure for the weight they are carrying. In your case, wearing on the outside edge might be a case of too much toe out.
Finally, if you intend to drop the coin for new tires it's always good to check alignment during the tire install.
Thanks! Standard stuff for two adults and two kids - 1/3 to 1/2 fresh water, 5 to 10 gallons of RO water (because our city water tastes better than any bottled water), basic clothing, snacks, soft drinks and refrigerator fully loaded with food, two electric scooters for the kids, may be a bicycle rack for the adults, two camp cots, two beach chairs, well loaded tool box. I am against towing behind an RV and I have not done that. Man I am listing things like I am loading a battery operated car Except the human weight, the stuffs I carry cannot be more than 300 pounds. Occasional grey/black water load.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:05 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Maybe the tire company..we had big O tire because of warranty and free replacement
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 07:39 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:

What was the alignment report after you got it aligned after replacing one tire? Sounds like it was toed in too far and the right tire scrubbed more than the left, but both were scrubbed, so yeah, the left tire would show the wear later than the right tire.

Once properly aligned with two good tires on the front you should not need another alignment unless you have bad front end parts or you smack something hard enough to break or bend front end parts, or they wear out.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 09:34 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
You'd be surprised how that couple hundred pounds of stuff turns into 1500 pounds. 50 gallons of water is over 400 pounds. My bike rack is over 50 pounds. My refer holds over 100 pounds of food. Without actually loading and weighing the coach you have no real idea of the weight. Aligning the front end with an empty coach does not mean it is aligned when it's fully loaded. Getting it weighed and aligned is cheaper than new tires.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 11:46 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
I've had two alignments in the nearly 40,000 miles of my class C motorhome. My weight is all over the board for traveling, and i pull everything from a toad 4 down to an 18 ft car hauler with either a utv, jeep, or convertible. If they are not doing the caster/camber alignment (which is not possible without the kit each time you get the alignment) then your alignment will be limited to toe in and will not usually do much for long term wear or overall handling.

I store my Class C in the yard so every time I use it I'm going up or down a 3 inch curb so a normal driveway lip should have no impact on your alignment.

The reason behind my second alignment is a long pot hole on the highway that left the steering wheel off center. If it's scrubbing the outer edges they are likely not putting in a caster/camber kit when they do your alignment.

I run my tires at max inflation all the time and have no issues with premature tire wear or cupping. I'm not a believer it adjusting tire pressures based on corner weights as that goes out the window the minute you start rolling and the wind blows, or you take a corner, and so on.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:44 AM   #10

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Ford told me that Thor was responsible for alignment after the build. Thor told me that Ford aligned it before delivery to Thor. Both said tire/wheel assemblies were balanced. In actuality, neither knew squat about what had or had not been done. This is basic Ford, twin ibeam front suspension. When I put 80 gallons of fuel and 40 gallons of water behind the rear axle and create squat the front tires camber out ( which will cause outside edge tire wear). So when I went to a truck shop I made sure I was full of liquids. 25k miles later all is good. And , those of you with F53 chassis better make sure your king pins are greased as well.
Old 04-23-2024, 04:07 PM   #11

THOR #31390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Ford told me that Thor was responsible for alignment after the build. Thor told me that Ford aligned it before delivery to Thor. Both said tire/wheel assemblies were balanced. In actuality, neither knew squat about what had or had not been done. This is basic Ford, twin ibeam front suspension. When I put 80 gallons of fuel and 40 gallons of water behind the rear axle and create squat the front tires camber out ( which will cause outside edge tire wear). So when I went to a truck shop I made sure I was full of liquids. 25k miles later all is good. And , those of you with F53 chassis better make sure your king pins are greased as well.
This is a very good point to keep in mind. I will make sure I am full with liquid before I do the alignment (again).

Quick question - I am looking to replace the sway bars both front and rear. Humiliating when small passing cars push the RV to the right. Should I wait to do the alignment until I replace the sway bars?
Old 04-23-2024, 04:42 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
This is a very good point to keep in mind. I will make sure I am full with liquid before I do the alignment (again).

Quick question - I am looking to replace the sway bars both front and rear. Humiliating when small passing cars push the RV to the right. Should I wait to do the alignment until I replace the sway bars?
Sway bars should not affect the alignment if properly installed.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote