Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2018, 12:25 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: Colorado
THOR #11353
Question Palazzo 36.1 water valves

The Palazzo has a 90 gallon tank. It filled slowly while the 4 way valve was on city mode. Anderson said to use RV200 repair valve kit. Having done that it filled again. There are 2 tubes out the top. The first one was draining the first time. Now the back one seems to be draining. What is the next step?

Old 07-12-2018, 12:51 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Not sure how your coach is plumed but on my coach water gets into the freshwater tank by bypassing the water pump. If that is the case, you have three options: replace the pump, replace the valve system on the pump or put one way valve in the line just after the pump. I chose the last option as the most sure fix, plus I already had all the PEX fittings and tools.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:48 AM   #3

THOR #11353
We are on the road so for a quick fix I am going to purchase a shutoff valve before the pump. I just need to remember to turn it on after disconnecting the city/camp water.
Looking the 3rd option. Isn't the water in the tank before the the pump?
Old 07-12-2018, 12:10 PM   #4

THOR #11353
A good nights sleep helps. So by placing the check valve on the discharge side of the pump pressure will not build up inside the pump. Thanks again for the quick response. Off to the RV parts store today for a check valve.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:08 PM   #5

THOR #11353
Smile

There is a strainer before the pump. It had pieces of hard sediment. I replaced the whole part. Added a check valve. The pump slowed but never turned off. Wife had read about just flushing the pump. So took off check valve. Pump has stopped and tank has no additional water after 2 hours.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:07 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
if a 2016 is plumbing like my '14, then the incoming water to fill your tank goes thru the FILTER, then the PUMP, then thru the 4-Way VALVE, and then into the tank(or into the lines if you are staying on pressurized water).
While it goes thru the water pump, the pump only will be used when you have the 4-way valve turned to 'Normal', and you have the water pump switch ON, therefore drawing water FROM the water tank.

When FILLING the water tank, the same path is taken, except the 4-way valve is turned to 'FILL TANK', and the pressurized water then flow thru into the tank. When the tank is full, and you forget to shut off the incoming water, the OVERFLOW tubes allow the additional water a way out, otherwise your tank could burst. This causes no issues with your water system, though, as the tank overflow tubes are there just for that reason. They are also there so that when you use the water pump, pulling water from the tank, a VACUUM is not caused in the water tank, creating the potential for 'implosion' of the tank....AIR is generally your friend!

Now, if you are experiencing what others of us have, which is the filling of the Water Tank when you are not 'expecting' it...then you have a leak within the cartridge of the 4-way Anderson 'KantLeak' valve system. The cartridge is what you are turning when you move the Valve handle. It has 4 'directions', depending on what you are wanting to do, and each has a hole, or holes, with rubber washers. These washers can get out of alignment with the hole, or move completely out of their space, causing either an air leak in the system, or for water to flow into the water tank when you are on pressurized 'city water'.

I decided after changing out my Anderson Cartridge several times, that is would be easier in the long run to just install a standard water 'cut off' valve in the line that leads into the water tank. It works fine, as long as you remember to cut it off when you don't want the tank to 'fill', and back ON when you want to use the water pump.

I actually like it, too, as it now gives me control over filling my water tank at the same time I can use water within the coach. If we arrive at a park and I know I'll want to fill the tank before we leave, I just open the installed cut off valve, and monitor it over the next few hours, turning it off when the tank level is where I want it to be. Nice. : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:03 PM   #7

THOR #11353
Thank-you. My problem was the valve cartridge. Per Anderson I did change it and bought a backup. Worked great for 6 days. Changed cities and the fresh water again did fill. Final solution is the Shurflo pre filter prior to going into the pump. It was gritty. I put in a new one. Flushed out the pump and it seems to be working. I will keep your solution in mind for future problem.