Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2016, 05:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Plugging holes and other things

Spent the morning crawling around under the "nest" with a can of expanding foam. Think I got all the holes plugged.
But found two other things.
Cables from the generator were hanging down below the gas tank. Fixed that with ty-raps.
Found a piece of plywood about 2 feet long and maybe 3 inches wide jammed under the frame and partially collapsing the fuel filler hose.

Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:52 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
What kind of rig you have?
Old 12-01-2016, 06:00 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I think Thor hired some of their people from Morons-R-US!!!
Old 12-01-2016, 06:43 PM   #4

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
Found a piece of plywood about 2 feet long and maybe 3 inches wide jammed under the frame and partially collapsing the fuel filler hose.
Redneck "rattle eliminator"?
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #5

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Do any digging around in and out of your coach and you will find all kinds of weird stuff, especially waste/trash that someone was too lazy or in a rush not to take care of. So far, found a bunch of screws, pieces of wire and some pex piping.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:43 PM   #6

THOR #4160
Sorry, couldn't see signature line in the mobile site.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:06 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
Do any digging around in and out of your coach and you will find all kinds of weird stuff, especially waste/trash that someone was too lazy or in a rush not to take care of. So far, found a bunch of screws, pieces of wire and some pex piping.
I haven't found too much of that stuff but I have found an 8 oz ball peen hammer, a flat tip screwdriver, a 12 inch carpenter's square and a 12 inch level. Most these items were under false cabinet bottoms or lower drawers. The level was in the wall behind the television and I found it when swapping out the 40 inch Seiki with the 46 inch Sharp Aquos.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:51 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Wow, you found some good stuff! Almost like a treasure chest. Bet someone is wondering where they left their tools!
Old 12-01-2016, 10:56 PM   #9

THOR #4160
I haven't been so lucky finding gifts from Thor's factory... yet. The only thing I have found so far is a lot of sawdust and broken zip ties. I guess I need to continue searching for treasures.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:06 AM   #10

THOR #4366
Besides debris all I find is more work. That said the coach has worked out great so far.
Wrangler JK dinghy
Old 12-02-2016, 04:20 AM   #11

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post
I haven't been so lucky finding gifts from Thor's factory... yet. The only thing I have found so far is a lot of sawdust and broken zip ties. I guess I need to continue searching for treasures.Erich & Irina
2017 Thor Challenger 37LX
2016 Ford Focus | Blue Ox Towbar
Мы говорим по русски
я не говорю на русском, но я говорю Google Translate

Ken
Old 12-02-2016, 04:19 PM   #12

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
Spent the morning crawling around under the "nest" with a can of expanding foam. Think I got all the holes plugged.
But found two other things.
Cables from the generator were hanging down below the gas tank. Fixed that with ty-raps.
Exploring/investigating under, in, and around these units is an excellent way to head off future issues. You probably corrected two issues that could have caused you repair bills in the future.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:26 PM   #13

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Maryland
THOR #3920
I've dug through all the nooks and crannies in my coach. Mostly found a lot of screws. Kinda wondering where exactly they go or should go. I did dins that almost every cabinet drawer only had one loose screw holding the drawer frame in the rear. Also found some places where cables "could" have gotten pinched. I know there should be room to move when the slides move, so I wire tied them up and away to still allow for movement, but there is no way it could get pinched.

One last thing I did discover was my read A/C did not run on Low fan mode, only high. I found a wire harness that had one wire pulled from the harness. The other side was intact, so I pulled them apart, reset the wire in position and then put the harness back together again. Lo and behold, the fan now works just fine on low.

I can understand now cleaning up the sawdust (not really but from a production point of view, it's out of sight) and maybe a dropped screw (or a dozen), but the dealer in my opinion, as well as Thor, should have checked all of the settings for electronics. If that had happened, then someone would have noticed the A/C not working on low fan mode and fixed it before I got it.

One thing I can say now is that I probably know more about my coach than my dealer does
2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:45 PM   #14

THOR #4919
Please refer to the I Like my Coach section of this Forum. You can't possibly be finding these problems, just because so many others have.

If you are fortunate enough to be close to the THOR Customer Service Center, you will very likely be pleased with the result. However, that is after the fact and does not impact the initial Customer perception of the product, nor does it give confidence in the long term reliability of a product.

Yes, I found the mess inside the coach to be very pervasive, and a clear indication of the care that went into the build. Although, if I sort through all the miscellaneous hardware I could have a good supply for future repairs.

We, also, like the floorplan and it's functionality. Assuming that all aspects of it remain functional. But liking something and knowing that there are build quality issues, are not the same thing.

p.s. my experience has been that THORs biggest Achilles heals are electrical and cabinetry.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #15

THOR #4366
When I was switching the solar over from the temporary install of this smmer to the permanent I moved wiring, added split tubing where needed and added clamps as needed. Even clamped about 5 feet of dangling gas line. S.o those of us who it's not a bad idea to go over things with a fine toothed comb. When I added extra 12 volt outlets to the dash I replaced two improperly made butt splices.
Wrangler JK dinghy
Old 12-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #16

THOR #4919
I will be adding insulation, where there is none, and retrofitting TV's and several other projects, as weather permits, over winter.

After that the plugging of gaps around the various access holes will become my next quest. As soon as winter goes on vacation.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:28 PM   #17

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Steve and Linda,

If you are looking for holes to cover let me recommend two big ones.

If you have an outside TV look on the inside of your RV where the TV mounts. On the Vegas 24.1 it is under the sink and partially covered. I had a 6 ing hole punched thru (or gnawed) and offered insects and things direct access to the inside of the RV. It requried some insulation and Gorillia Tape.

The second hole is in the outside storage bin that, on the VEgas models is the second of the two under the TV, houses the hookup for Video games to the outside TV. It is hard to see the hole as you must lie on your back, flashlight in hand and look up and to the far back of the storage bin just infront of the rear tire. To get an idea of what is up there you well need to extend your right arm with a cell phone to take a picture (see attached). It is another big hole with lots of wires and exposed cables. Again, repaired with Gorillia Tape.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1480861536

Doc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Viewfrombelow.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	3462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Closeupview.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	3463  

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #18

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Here's a good one for 30.1 owners. Heat duct for warming the water pump and black tank area. I filled the duct with fiberglass. Can remove if I ever need because of extremely cold weather but not planning on being in that situation. Also notice the large hole for plumbing pipes. Filled that also.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	3464  
Old 12-04-2016, 03:16 PM   #19

THOR #3952
Here's an area I've been working on. The furnace is located below floor level which means the air return has to go below the floor to be sent back through the ducts. The furnace is located inside the plastic storage container which is exposed to the outside without any insulation. A lot of furnaces are located inside the coaches in conditioned air. Trying to figure some way of insulating the plastic box.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	80
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	3465  
Old 12-04-2016, 03:19 PM   #20

THOR #3952
Don't get me started on the A Pillars. These act like ram air ducts sending hot/cold air from the engine compartment up into the inside roof.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	83
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	3466