Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2015, 01:27 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: chateau 23U
State: Florida
THOR #1241
Plumbing leak under shower 23U

One of several leaks in 2015 23U was at the street water fitting connecting under the shower, which is almost impossible to get to. Removing the street-side tail light and cutting through the 1/8" luan panel, the under-shower plumbing is accessed.

I replaced the plastic (and leaking) street fitting with a brass one. Problem fixed (and delamination possibly prevented).

Old 11-30-2015, 11:55 PM   #2

State: New Mexico
THOR #761
I've found one under the sink....so far.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
Is there any way to remove the shower walls to get to the plumbing? I notice several locations where there is no RTV/silicone to seal the open seams.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:37 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #2486
We also appear to have a leak under the shower. We have a new 2015 Hurricane 31 S. I reported it the last time I had it in for warranty repairs and was 'told' it was fixed but it was not. When we take a shower there is a water leak on the floor.

We're a bit frustrated with the quality of our new Thor in that it has been in for warranty repairs longer than we have had it for camping. We purchased it in August. We had the previous warrant work performed where we purchased the RV America Choice in Ocala. I am now taking it to Camping World in St Augustine
Old 12-01-2015, 11:12 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikoriko View Post
Is there any way to remove the shower walls to get to the plumbing? I notice several locations where there is no RTV/silicone to seal the open seams.
I had same thing in ours around the bottom of the surround, I went ahead and caulked it. It would be nice to have layout of where the plumbing and the electrical runs.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:20 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
I had same thing in ours around the bottom of the surround, I went ahead and caulked it. It would be nice to have layout of where the plumbing and the electrical runs.
Have you sent Thor an email message asking for the electrical and plumbing diagrams? I received mine within 3 days of sending the request.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:22 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
Not sure about the layout of you unit. I noticed on mine yesterday, as I was blowing out the lines, there is a gap in the chalking where the shower door frame meets the wall of the shower. I placed caulking that on my short term to do list.
FMCA - F432054
Old 12-01-2015, 11:25 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Again not sure about your layout.

In my coach immediately below the shower is a storage compartment and on the ceiling of that compartment is a metal plate held on with 6 screws. According to the plumbing diagram if I removed that plate I would have access to the shower drain. Based on my diagram I have 3 of those access plates throughout the coach.
FMCA - F432054
Old 12-02-2015, 02:52 AM   #9

THOR #3222
cheary27k

]Had water coming out by wall by the step up to the toilet. W as told it was coming from the door railing (track). The repair tech sealed it, have not been able to test it, coach been in and out of the shop for past three months. Will post update when we get the oath back.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:00 AM   #10

THOR #1249
Found a leak under my shower today as I was cleaning it getting ready for a trip. The pipe broke clean at the nut and flange where it mates up to the shower drain tail piece. Reason it broke; trap was to close to rear wheel well cover and I would guess each time we took a shower and put weight on the drain area, it pushed the trap down against the curved well and put a side force on the fitting. I have a rubber coupling to fix the broken connection which should give some flex and prevent anymore leaking. Will know more tomorrow. There is not much space to work under there reaching thru the small panel opening. It baffles me why Thor would use a 2" drain trap when there is not much room under the shower. 1 1/2 would have done the job very well.
First pic is broken fitting. Second pic is rubber coupling. attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3222.JPG
Views:	823
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1129 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3223.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1130
Old 12-03-2015, 08:09 PM   #11

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
Did not know the shower pan had that much flex? I thought it would be more rigid.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:24 PM   #12

THOR #1249
The shower pan is very flexible and would guess about 3/32" thick. The pan is supported with plywood and Styrofoam, but not in the area of the drain. I am going to add a floor to pan stiffener and see it that will help. The p-trap sits on the floor and any weight in the area of the drain will transfer to the flex coupling and the trap, stressing the area around the drain. I had a shower pan crack years ago, but it was near the middle and not near the drain and was easy to fix with Eternabond. A crack around the drain would be difficult to fix and may require a new pan.

Tags
leak, plumbing, shower, street fitting