Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2018, 04:24 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: Colorado
THOR #11353
Popping noises

We have been having noise issues with our 2016 Palazzo. It occurs when the temperature drops to 65 and below. It is from below. Mostly when we walk. My service center thinks its air in the line of the leveling system. In Redding they said it was fine but that was during the day. It appears the resivour is at the proper level (if I am looking at the correct tank). Anyone else have something like this? It is a Lippert Ultra Level System.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:34 AM   #2

Brand: DRV
Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/support/sheets/TI___191_Adding_Anti_Stiction_Fluid_To_Hydraulic_S ystems.pd

Often applying a film of light silicone to the cylinder rams, wiping them and retracting them up and then down will calm the popping down also.
Best of luck
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:12 PM   #3

THOR #11353
Thank-you. Found the manual last night. Sounds like something to do today. I will look for the fluid in the next town.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:22 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
we've had those sounds, off and on, at various times, but usually when in very hot months. I've always assumed that it was the chassis 'settling', or even expanding/contracting, or something similar, but have yet to see any change in the leveling legs during that time - I would not think that's what it is.
I've crawled under the chassis, during these times of sounds, and still could not 'put my finger' on what was actually making the noises, though they seem quite loud at moments.

Most of the year, I never hear anything... so it certainly seems to be temperature related, at least for me.

I've also never sprayed or wiped down my legs with anything - and they've performed flawlessly for over 4 years and many, many extractions and retractions, over 85,000+ miles and many off-grid parking nights.

It seems if the legs had any issues with the hydraulics, they would only lose some height very slowly, not in pops or pows, and the loss would start to become noticeable as you would also be becoming 'unlevel' within the coach.

also, if you drop you air bags before you level, your legs will have less height to maintain, and you'll be on more of a stable, and lower 'foundation'.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:41 PM   #5

THOR #11353
Ours performed well in Arizona and no noise during the day. I do lower the rig prior to leveling. After a few days I did put a 24" level on the floor and it is still level. After the first comment that included the link, we are in the process of ordering the oil. Also saw a YouTube video in which a 5th wheel with a Lippert system had the same issue and fixed it with this recommendation. Will keep this link updated on results.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:16 AM   #6

Brand: DRV
Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
Just research "stiction". It's a phenomenon common to hydraulic systems of all types. Not exclusive to RV's, leaks, or settling etc. Could be temp. triggered?
Old 10-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
I placed rubber pavers Nader the pads on my jacks. Almost completely eliminated the popping
Old 10-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #8

THOR #11353
Yes, the silicone spray did lessen the noise
The oil arrived via the mail. I was able to add it yesterday. Last night no noise. Today is travel so we will have another first night. If I did not post it a week it works. I notified the two RV shops that were trying to help about this solution.

Thanks for the quick and proper response.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations! It's good to hear that the only popping will now be from the popcorn in the microwave!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote