Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2017, 05:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #9164
Problem with the factory microwave mounting and overall build quality!

On our maiden Voyage home from taking delivery of our brand new Chateau 23U
we experienced a very loud rattle noise while driving the rig home.
Upon quick glance I could see that the mounting facia that attaches the microwave to the cabinet face had two small cracks in it.
I called to make appointment to have this repaired under warranty and was told there is a three month wait till first appointment is available. I made the appointment because I need the cracked piece replaced however upon further investigation I found that most of the noise was from behind the microwave.
I have 14 hour trip planned before the scheduled repair date and cannot live with that very loud noise. So I pulled the microwave myself and became very concerned with the overall quality that this coach was built.
The microwave was not installed correctly, the four legs were supposed to be set on the 1x2 wood boards stapled to the bottom of the cabinet however 1 of the 4 slats was missing and the ones that were there did not line up under the legs causing the entire weight of the microwave to be supported by the front facia.
I added another 1x2 slat and relocated the other 3 so the lined up with legs and then had to add 1/2" thick felt pads to bottom of legs to make it level with no tension on front mounting facia.
The other thing I saw when I pulled the microwave out was a total mess of wiring with wires under the area where the legs of the microwave would sit.
I zip tied the mess into something cleaner. Also all the screws mounting the cabinets in place were way too long and couldn't be screwed in all the way so they all had about 3/4 of an inch of threads showing with none of them seated against the heads of the screws.
Makes me think I may have to open everything up and make things right - Not what you should have to do with a brand new vehicle. "FEELING A LITTLE DISAPOINTED"

Old 09-13-2017, 08:35 PM   #2

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
With all the work you just mention, did you not void your warranty on the microwave? I would believe you did. Probably best to cancel your appointment for warranty work.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:48 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Welcome to the final assembly point club for Thor Motor Coaches. Each time you remove a panel you will discover something else to put on your final assembly list. Keep a shop vac handy, Thor doesn't have any on their assembly lines. You will be able to collect a few lbs. of extra screws, sawdust, remnants of hole saws, hose clamps, and if you are lucky the grand prize, double bubble bubble gum wrappers. In the end, you will get to know your coach better and make many more preventative repairs.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:51 PM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmath View Post
With all the work you just mention, did you not void your warranty on the microwave? I would believe you did. Probably best to cancel your appointment for warranty work.
I didn't read anything that opened/altered or otherwise impacted the microwave - so don't know what bearing that would have.
Everything referenced was the mounting of the microwave - and the RV wiring in the way.

Nothing should impact getting the cracked facia repaired either...
I would argue he took the steps necessary to prevent/protect from further damage.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:41 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #9164
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmath View Post
I'm just going to have them order the obviously cracked facia and not mention the other crap.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:59 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
It's a good idea to check behind other panels and look around, I have a 2016 Chateau 31w and have found many things loose and improperly mounted. Not much different though from past 5rs and TT we have owned. We took the three Thor factory tours and Jayco's and if you seen how fast they put these things together you would understand why they are the way they are. We have the res fridge and they have it sitting on a nice piece of 3/4" plywood, the problem is the plywood was sitting on two 1x1's stapled into the sidewalls of the cabinet. After a couple of trips the top brackets started squeaking and I couldn't get them to stop because the bottom was starting to give out. I shored it up with some 1x4 legs going to the floor around the inverter, front, back and sides and now it hasn't squeaked in over a year.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:45 AM   #7

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
We had that rattle in our '17 Challenger 37LX. No way I could drive more than a short time without losing my marbles listening to that! Took it back to CW. After a week, CW told me they needed to add some insulating material and re secure their loose microwave mounting. After another week, CW said they were still waiting for Thor authorization for the warranty work. Next day I called Thor, who had just approved it after receiving the request from CW the day before (when I called for the second time).

But it is fixed, and I'm happy about that.

I've also found some very unsatisfactory things when removing access panels, pulling the residential refrigerator out for Whirlpool to replace the non working fans, etc. They really have no pride in their workmanship at Thor's assembly line, they seem to just throw things together as fast as possible and go home. You'd think there would be some QC folks there who spot check things, at least, but based on comments in this forum, I don't think so.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote