Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2019, 02:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: New York
THOR #8035
Replace step

Has anyone replaced the step on a Thor Windsport 27k. Single Kwikee step. The 4 mounting bolts are turning when I try to loosen the nuts and I can't get to the top of the bolts.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:24 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Welcome to the forum.....and you have an ugly situation. If you cannot absolutely get to the bolt heads above then there are not a lot of options unless someone else can suggest something clever.

So I assume you have no space between the head of the bolt and the nut you are trying to remove and the nuts are frozen onto the bolts (probably from road grime exposure). Start with some PB Blaster or other rust release spray on the nuts. If there was some space above the nut you could try prying down on the nut with a flat screw driver or other flat tool to put the bolt head in tension and try to break the nut loose with a wrench while prying down on it. This is subject to slippage and not a great option.

If there is enough of the bolt threads exposed below the frozen nut, you might try another method below (you can’t grab the bolt with vice grips or you will damage the threads and sounds like you won’t be able to replace the bolts from above). The other approach if there is enough bolt below is to use two appropriate nuts and thread them on below and jam them together (tighten them onto themselves) but not against the frozen nut. Try and break the frozen nut loose with a wrench while holding the jam nuts with a wrench or vice grips. That is a PIA situation but under the steps is a double PIA. My sympathies.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #3

Model: Windsport
State: New York
THOR #8035
Thank you for the reply. I got the bolts out with a bit of work:

The studs had specially made carriage bolts with thin flat heads about 1 1/4" diameter. The heads of the bolts were laminated into the wooden step about 3/16" below the surface. (After removing the rubber tread glued to the board/step.) I measured to find the approximate location of the bolt heads from above. Then I took a 3" hole saw and cut down about 1/4" ant pried the laminate off the top of the bolt. Then I drilled a small hole off center near the edge of the head and put a small drywall screw through it then I removed the nuts from below.

I will now replace the bolts with 3/8-16 flat head machine screws with washers on the heads. Then I will use the wood disks I removed or floor leveler to fix the holes and reglue the rubber tread.

I do not recommend anyone do this unless the step structure itself is ruined. It would have been much easier to replace the electrical and mechanical Kwikee components!
Old 05-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #4

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Congrats. Sounds to me like you are fully qualified to own an RV.....you passed the "do whatever it takes to get the job done" safely and with most of your knuckles (and the RV) still in tact.