Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-13-2019, 04:26 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
The_Breeze's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 663
THOR #12189
Propane Fill Valve - Getting Desperate

I am trying to find a propane fill valve for my Armebe 12.2g propane tank. Manchester 80% valve are a dime a dozen out there but not one hit on Armebe.

Some may remember my post about it only accepting a gallon. After much searching and reading, I'm pointing at the OPD valve as the culprit.

I have an extend-a-stay so I'm not completely out in the cold but I can't keep the fridge cold when traveling and I have to leave in about 2 weeks.

Has anyone had to deal with this and if so, where did you get the part? I have a propane supplier who'll install, purge and leak test but I have to come up with the part.
__________________

__________________
The_Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:59 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
Posts: 971
THOR #2631
If the big Propane companies (not the refillers) can't source one for you it's time to contact the manufacturer and see if they will supply a part for you (or to your retailer that will install it). Looks like this brand is made in Mexico.


https://armebe.mx/en/contact
__________________

__________________
javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:02 PM   #3
Member
 
OldWEB's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 33T
State: England
Posts: 40
THOR #16471
Re-seal tank fittings

OP, your other post stated "There is/was a gauge mounted to a float but that leaked and had to be turned to the 5’oclock position to stop the leak.".
Now just turning a fuel fitting to stop a leak IS NOT the proper repair. Also, "turned to the 5’oclock position" is not too technical as I dunno how many turns were done...

I suggest you go to the gas fitter (propane supplier) and ask him to remove the fittings and reinstall them properly with new sealant. Your fill valve may have a float on it and for sure your "gauge" will have one, so turning the gauge may have flipped its float and hit/damaged the float on the fill valve. This should be done with the complete tank out and 'pointing up' so the floats will hang down and not swing all over while being turned. My two cents.


Stay cool


__________________
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:33 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
The_Breeze's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 663
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
I suggest you go to the gas fitter (propane supplier) and ask him to remove the fittings and reinstall them properly with new sealant. Your fill valve may have a float on it and for sure your "gauge" will have one, so turning the gauge may have flipped its float and hit/damaged the float on the fill valve. This should be done with the complete tank out and 'pointing up' so the floats will hang down and not swing all over while being turned. My two cents.
That's lined up. I just want to be in once and done - at least for now. These OPDs have a bad habit of going south so I'll probably be back in there in a year or more.

Stay Cool and be safe. If you can't be safe, be careful.

p.s. I caught that post on another forum. If I felt competent, I'd tackle it but this is gas and I know my limits. I also don't have the alum flange.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191109_134406.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	21428  
__________________
The_Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:39 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
The_Breeze's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 663
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
If the big Propane companies (not the refillers) can't source one for you it's time to contact the manufacturer and see if they will supply a part for you (or to your retailer that will install it). Looks like this brand is made in Mexico.
https://armebe.mx/en/contact
Called Thor. They have it but it has to be sent to an authorized dealer. Liability issues I guess? Anywho, I'm working through the red tape to get one appropriated to a propane guy where I'm based for now and will have him fix both issues: valve and gauge.

Thanks.
__________________
The_Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:54 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 475
THOR #12751
Propane Fill Valve - Getting Desperate

The issue is Thor has an agreement with their dealers not to sell parts directly to customers and cut the dealer out of the sale and heir margin.

They will send you parts under warranty without a problem but once you need to pay for the parts they won’t ship / sell them to the end user customer.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:26 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
The_Breeze's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 663
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
The issue is Thor has an agreement with their dealers not to sell parts directly to customers and cut the dealer out of the sale and heir margin.

They will send you parts under warranty without a problem but once you need to pay for the parts they won’t ship / sell them to the end user customer.
I was running down the road, hit debris and it tore my jack pad off. It was out of warranty. They sent me parts.

That exact question was asked of me. When the answer was 'no' - they can tell by the last 8 of the VIN - it was find a dealer and they can send it to where ever you tell them to send it. I think it's a liability issue (propane) or labor and part markup are also part of their new agreement.
__________________
The_Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:20 AM   #8
Member
 
OldWEB's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 33T
State: England
Posts: 40
THOR #16471
So what is the actual level in the tank? Could it be full??

Stay cool
__________________
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:16 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
The_Breeze's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 663
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
So what is the actual level in the tank? Could it be full??

Stay cool
Gauge got out of whack a long time ago. Tank only accepted 1g of propane on two refills but acted like it was dead out of fuel (i.e. no range top). Got to FL, hooked up with a propane guy. He said get the part (he'd have to markup the part) run the tank empty and he'd come out and install the replacement (for fee).

Ran fridge and water heater exclusively on gas for 2 wks straight. It's still pushing gas.

Searched for a week. Couldn't locate the part. Finally found it but Thor-only part (to authorized dealer). Need gas to run fridge on the road. The rest precedes this, here and elsewhere.
__________________
The_Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:41 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
Posts: 336
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Gauge got out of whack a long time ago. Tank only accepted 1g of propane on two refills but acted like it was dead out of fuel (i.e. no range top). Got to FL, hooked up with a propane guy. He said get the part (he'd have to markup the part) run the tank empty and he'd come out and install the replacement (for fee).

Ran fridge and water heater exclusively on gas for 2 wks straight. It's still pushing gas.

Searched for a week. Couldn't locate the part. Finally found it but Thor-only part (to authorized dealer). Need gas to run fridge on the road. The rest precedes this, here and elsewhere.
This from post #2
https://armebe.mx/en/contact
__________________
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:48 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
The_Breeze's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 663
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I don't speak latin (mexican), not in the least and they're straight out of Mexico.

I need a solution. Not a language barrier.
__________________
The_Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:16 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
Posts: 336
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
I don't speak latin (mexican), not in the least and they're straight out of Mexico.

I need a solution. Not a language barrier.
They are the tank builder and the one's that put the valve in the tank. I'll bet you a six pack that they have at least one employee that speaks English. Most likely an American company with a factory in Mexico for the cheap labor and low taxes
__________________
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
gnach's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
Posts: 604
THOR #6582
Having a similar issue, the tech at the gas supplier said he could replace mine with a common valve, in stock, not a one-of-a-kind from Mexico. _2¢
__________________
I'm wearing trifocals now but my hindsight is 20/20.
*************
Bilsteins and Sumos front and rear...HUGE! FatMat and Hoodliner...HUGE!
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Entegra Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 3,570
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
I was running down the road, hit debris and it tore my jack pad off. It was out of warranty. They sent me parts.

That exact question was asked of me. When the answer was 'no' - they can tell by the last 8 of the VIN - it was find a dealer and they can send it to where ever you tell them to send it. I think it's a liability issue (propane) or labor and part markup are also part of their new agreement.
Thor is not licensed for retail parts sales and they don't want to be. They told me that back in 2015.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:46 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
The_Breeze's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 663
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Thor is not licensed for retail parts sales and they don't want to be. They told me that back in 2015.
I know but they're still willing to help. They gave me the part number. I called a local dealer. They talked to Thor. She brought back all the info I needed and even told me it was more expensive for her to buy than I could get online, since it would be installed by someone else (because of where I'm located).

I'd name the place but don't want to get anyone in trouble with Thor.

The part's on order. We'll see. For anyone else you wants or needs the info, here it is. Just make sure you have the same tank as I do, though I've learned this stuff is pretty standard across the board.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ValveInfo.png
Views:	17
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	21454  
__________________
The_Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:48 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
The_Breeze's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 663
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Having a similar issue, the tech at the gas supplier said he could replace mine with a common valve, in stock, not a one-of-a-kind from Mexico. _2¢
Please don't do this. If you run into a refiller without a lot of experience and the tank gets overfilled, you run the risk of sending liquid propane down the appliance line and the lesser cost could cost you the ranch.
__________________
The_Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:00 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
The_Breeze's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 663
THOR #12189
Tucson AZ RV Repair References

All,
Need your help locating a trusted and reliable Tucson repair shop. Save me from getting raped by some two bit ho. Please?

I finally emptied the tank to the point where it could be repaired and the guy I chose to fix the fill valve problem couldn't break the old valve loose. Neither could I. The valve 'nut' is smaller than the fill opening and you can't get a decent swing on it with a wrench. I fear one may have to drop the tank? I have the part on hand.

I need to get the fill valve and fuel gauge fixed and I'm looking for recommendations in the Tucson area that can handle it, or at least you would trust them with your rig to fix the problem and not get raked over the coals.

All input is appreciated. I'm looking for consensus? Thanks in advance.

As an aside, he was able to put about 6g of propane in the tank using a low pressure gravity feed and she took all he had. That leaves me scratching my head. Two prior attempts using a machine shut down after 1g. He said he's seen that before - too much pressure - and the attendant has to slowly fill the tank and open the bleed valve. While that workaround gets me back on the road, I need a permanent fix, knowing I could be back in there again somewhere down the road. After all, it's an RV and more so, a Thor.
__________________
The_Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:17 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
Posts: 282
THOR #2053
I didn't know thor built propane tanks or valves
__________________
If you are afraid to speak the truth out of fear of what others may think, it says a lot about who you are and what you will settle for.
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:40 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
The_Breeze's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 663
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
I didn't know thor built propane tanks or valves
I don't believe they do but they source them based on...?

Quality can't be one of their criteria.
__________________
The_Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:16 AM   #20
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Tennessee
Posts: 36
THOR #3372
Propane fill valve

I had to replace my propane tank due to damage. I have the exact same tank you have and got it online from Home Depot in a few days with free delivery. It weighed about 50 pounds and my cost was $298 plus TN sales tax. I lot to pay to get a valve but it would solve your problem. It arrived in four days. Hope this helps. Nick104 Southeast TN. Axis 24.1 2016.
__________________

__________________
nick104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×