Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2019, 04:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Propane Fill Valve - Getting Desperate

I am trying to find a propane fill valve for my Armebe 12.2g propane tank. Manchester 80% valve are a dime a dozen out there but not one hit on Armebe.

Some may remember my post about it only accepting a gallon. After much searching and reading, I'm pointing at the OPD valve as the culprit.

I have an extend-a-stay so I'm not completely out in the cold but I can't keep the fridge cold when traveling and I have to leave in about 2 weeks.

Has anyone had to deal with this and if so, where did you get the part? I have a propane supplier who'll install, purge and leak test but I have to come up with the part.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:59 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
If the big Propane companies (not the refillers) can't source one for you it's time to contact the manufacturer and see if they will supply a part for you (or to your retailer that will install it). Looks like this brand is made in Mexico.

https://armebe.mx/en/contact
Old 11-13-2019, 09:02 PM   #3

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Re-seal tank fittings

OP, your other post stated "There is/was a gauge mounted to a float but that leaked and had to be turned to the 5’oclock position to stop the leak.".
Now just turning a fuel fitting to stop a leak IS NOT the proper repair. Also, "turned to the 5’oclock position" is not too technical as I dunno how many turns were done...

I suggest you go to the gas fitter (propane supplier) and ask him to remove the fittings and reinstall them properly with new sealant. Your fill valve may have a float on it and for sure your "gauge" will have one, so turning the gauge may have flipped its float and hit/damaged the float on the fill valve. This should be done with the complete tank out and 'pointing up' so the floats will hang down and not swing all over while being turned. My two cents.

Stay cool

Old 11-14-2019, 12:33 AM   #4

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
I suggest you go to the gas fitter (propane supplier) and ask him to remove the fittings and reinstall them properly with new sealant. Your fill valve may have a float on it and for sure your "gauge" will have one, so turning the gauge may have flipped its float and hit/damaged the float on the fill valve. This should be done with the complete tank out and 'pointing up' so the floats will hang down and not swing all over while being turned. My two cents.
That's lined up. I just want to be in once and done - at least for now. These OPDs have a bad habit of going south so I'll probably be back in there in a year or more.

Stay Cool and be safe. If you can't be safe, be careful.

p.s. I caught that post on another forum. If I felt competent, I'd tackle it but this is gas and I know my limits. I also don't have the alum flange.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191109_134406.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	21428  
Old 11-14-2019, 12:39 AM   #5

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
If the big Propane companies (not the refillers) can't source one for you it's time to contact the manufacturer and see if they will supply a part for you (or to your retailer that will install it). Looks like this brand is made in Mexico.
Called Thor. They have it but it has to be sent to an authorized dealer. Liability issues I guess? Anywho, I'm working through the red tape to get one appropriated to a propane guy where I'm based for now and will have him fix both issues: valve and gauge.

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:54 AM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Propane Fill Valve - Getting Desperate

The issue is Thor has an agreement with their dealers not to sell parts directly to customers and cut the dealer out of the sale and heir margin.

They will send you parts under warranty without a problem but once you need to pay for the parts they won’t ship / sell them to the end user customer.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:26 AM   #7

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
The issue is Thor has an agreement with their dealers not to sell parts directly to customers and cut the dealer out of the sale and heir margin.

They will send you parts under warranty without a problem but once you need to pay for the parts they won’t ship / sell them to the end user customer.
I was running down the road, hit debris and it tore my jack pad off. It was out of warranty. They sent me parts.

That exact question was asked of me. When the answer was 'no' - they can tell by the last 8 of the VIN - it was find a dealer and they can send it to where ever you tell them to send it. I think it's a liability issue (propane) or labor and part markup are also part of their new agreement.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:20 AM   #8

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
So what is the actual level in the tank? Could it be full??

Stay cool
Old 11-14-2019, 04:16 AM   #9

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
So what is the actual level in the tank? Could it be full??

Stay cool
Gauge got out of whack a long time ago. Tank only accepted 1g of propane on two refills but acted like it was dead out of fuel (i.e. no range top). Got to FL, hooked up with a propane guy. He said get the part (he'd have to markup the part) run the tank empty and he'd come out and install the replacement (for fee).

Ran fridge and water heater exclusively on gas for 2 wks straight. It's still pushing gas.

Searched for a week. Couldn't locate the part. Finally found it but Thor-only part (to authorized dealer). Need gas to run fridge on the road. The rest precedes this, here and elsewhere.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:41 AM   #10

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Gauge got out of whack a long time ago. Tank only accepted 1g of propane on two refills but acted like it was dead out of fuel (i.e. no range top). Got to FL, hooked up with a propane guy. He said get the part (he'd have to markup the part) run the tank empty and he'd come out and install the replacement (for fee).

Ran fridge and water heater exclusively on gas for 2 wks straight. It's still pushing gas.

Searched for a week. Couldn't locate the part. Finally found it but Thor-only part (to authorized dealer). Need gas to run fridge on the road. The rest precedes this, here and elsewhere.
This from post #2
Old 11-14-2019, 04:48 AM   #11

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I don't speak latin (mexican), not in the least and they're straight out of Mexico.

I need a solution. Not a language barrier.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:16 AM   #12

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
I don't speak latin (mexican), not in the least and they're straight out of Mexico.

I need a solution. Not a language barrier.
They are the tank builder and the one's that put the valve in the tank. I'll bet you a six pack that they have at least one employee that speaks English. Most likely an American company with a factory in Mexico for the cheap labor and low taxes
Old 11-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #13

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Having a similar issue, the tech at the gas supplier said he could replace mine with a common valve, in stock, not a one-of-a-kind from Mexico. _2¢
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #14
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
I was running down the road, hit debris and it tore my jack pad off. It was out of warranty. They sent me parts.

That exact question was asked of me. When the answer was 'no' - they can tell by the last 8 of the VIN - it was find a dealer and they can send it to where ever you tell them to send it. I think it's a liability issue (propane) or labor and part markup are also part of their new agreement.
Thor is not licensed for retail parts sales and they don't want to be. They told me that back in 2015.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:46 AM   #15

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Thor is not licensed for retail parts sales and they don't want to be. They told me that back in 2015.
I know but they're still willing to help. They gave me the part number. I called a local dealer. They talked to Thor. She brought back all the info I needed and even told me it was more expensive for her to buy than I could get online, since it would be installed by someone else (because of where I'm located).

I'd name the place but don't want to get anyone in trouble with Thor.

The part's on order. We'll see. For anyone else you wants or needs the info, here it is. Just make sure you have the same tank as I do, though I've learned this stuff is pretty standard across the board.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ValveInfo.png
Views:	95
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	21454  
Old 11-15-2019, 03:48 AM   #16

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Having a similar issue, the tech at the gas supplier said he could replace mine with a common valve, in stock, not a one-of-a-kind from Mexico. _2¢
Please don't do this. If you run into a refiller without a lot of experience and the tank gets overfilled, you run the risk of sending liquid propane down the appliance line and the lesser cost could cost you the ranch.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:00 AM   #17

THOR #12189
Tucson AZ RV Repair References

All,
Need your help locating a trusted and reliable Tucson repair shop. Save me from getting raped by some two bit ho. Please?

I finally emptied the tank to the point where it could be repaired and the guy I chose to fix the fill valve problem couldn't break the old valve loose. Neither could I. The valve 'nut' is smaller than the fill opening and you can't get a decent swing on it with a wrench. I fear one may have to drop the tank? I have the part on hand.

I need to get the fill valve and fuel gauge fixed and I'm looking for recommendations in the Tucson area that can handle it, or at least you would trust them with your rig to fix the problem and not get raked over the coals.

All input is appreciated. I'm looking for consensus? Thanks in advance.

As an aside, he was able to put about 6g of propane in the tank using a low pressure gravity feed and she took all he had. That leaves me scratching my head. Two prior attempts using a machine shut down after 1g. He said he's seen that before - too much pressure - and the attendant has to slowly fill the tank and open the bleed valve. While that workaround gets me back on the road, I need a permanent fix, knowing I could be back in there again somewhere down the road. After all, it's an RV and more so, a Thor.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:17 AM   #18

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
I didn't know thor built propane tanks or valves
Old 11-28-2019, 12:40 AM   #19

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
I didn't know thor built propane tanks or valves
I don't believe they do but they source them based on...?

Quality can't be one of their criteria.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:16 AM   #20

State: Tennessee
THOR #3372
Propane fill valve

I had to replace my propane tank due to damage. I have the exact same tank you have and got it online from Home Depot in a few days with free delivery. It weighed about 50 pounds and my cost was $298 plus TN sales tax. I lot to pay to get a valve but it would solve your problem. It arrived in four days. Hope this helps. Nick104 Southeast TN. Axis 24.1 2016.