Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2019, 12:54 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Propane Tank

I’m at rest in north FL.

I have on-board propane. It will only accept ~1g of propane. Once the 1g ends, the refrigerator indicator light flashes. No fire to the stove top.

I have an Extend-a-Stay. I can connect 20lbs and run the tank dry – heat included. I moved the regulator and lines out of the way. It has to be somewhere in the tank. Or not. There is/was a gauge mounted to a float but that leaked and had to be turned to the 5’oclock position to stop the leak. I filled the tank in north FL. Some 5300 mi had passed before the tank started acting up.

Has anyone experienced this and solved it?

Old 10-25-2019, 01:09 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
I’m at rest in north FL.

I have on-board propane. It will only accept ~1g of propane. Once the 1g ends, the refrigerator indicator light flashes. No fire to the stove top. Is that 1 gallon? If so - that's a problem.

I have an Extend-a-Stay. I can connect 20lbs and run the tank dry – heat included. I moved the regulator and lines out of the way.
Out of the way of what? The Extend-a-stay should be permanently mounted between the onboard tank outlet and the regulator inlet.
It has to be somewhere in the tank. Or not. There is/was a gauge mounted to a float but that leaked and had to be turned to the 5’oclock position to stop the leak. I filled the tank in north FL. Some 5300 mi had passed before the tank started acting up.

Seems like there are several problems that need to be sorted out.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:40 AM   #3

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Seems like there are several problems that need to be sorted out.
I eliminated the regulator and gas lines as a variable. Everything works fine on a 20lb.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:48 AM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Twice my coach tank wouldn't fill.
Operator error I guessed.
No need in belittling a person who has a job filling rv's.
Next place filled it just fine.

But
There's an antifill mechanism inside.
I don't know how it relates to the Guage you turned...but it's a float of a sort...
Old 10-25-2019, 04:10 PM   #5

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I would suggest taking your coach to a commercial propane dealer (one that can re-certify even though a coach mounted tank does not need it), so they can check your RV propane tank out and resolve your problem safely. You paid a lot for your coach; you don't want to scrimp a few bucks for a proper fix and have it or its irreplaceable contents (you or family) burn up. There is lots of info on line about this kind of trouble (I am sure you are already finding it):

Propane tank won't fill - Winnebago Owners Online Community
Old 10-25-2019, 04:26 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree: this is a job for the folks that have seen it all... and still have their eyelashes attached to their eyelids!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:08 PM   #7

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
I would suggest taking your coach to a commercial propane dealer (one that can re-certify even though a coach mounted tank does not need it), so they can check your RV propane tank out and resolve your problem safely. You paid a lot for your coach; you don't want to scrimp a few bucks for a proper fix and have it or its irreplaceable contents (you or family) burn up. There is lots of info on line about this kind of trouble (I am sure you are already finding it):

Propane tank won't fill - Winnebago Owners Online Community
In reading your suggested link it states that sometimes there’s excess air inside the tank that needs a “bleed” before it’ll take the propane.
That’s good info, thanks.

I’m going to ask the attendant to bleed it out before my next fill.
That is, my last two fills each took 4 gal or less, even though the gauge on the tank indicated near empty.
It’s a 12 gal tank, so I was expecting 7-8 gal.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:39 PM   #8

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
In reading your suggested link it states that sometimes there’s excess air inside the tank that needs a “bleed” before it’ll take the propane.

That’s good info, thanks.

I’m going to ask the attendant to bleed it out before my next fill.

That is, my last two fills each took 4 gal or less, even though the gauge on the tank indicated near empty.

It’s a 12 gal tank, so I was expecting 7-8 gal.

FYI from ‘09: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/overf...nk-128826.html
Old 10-25-2019, 08:21 PM   #9

THOR #12189
Thanks for all the info and feedback. If I can get the tank emptied by Monday, I have a propane dealer who'll come out and look at it.

I'll try to let you know what, if anything, he finds.

Thanks again.

p,s. this is the second time it only took a gallon.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:05 PM   #10

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Thanks for all the info and feedback. If I can get the tank emptied by Monday, I have a propane dealer who'll come out and look at it.

I'll try to let you know what, if anything, he finds.

Thanks again.

p,s. this is the second time it only took a gallon.
So, where is the level actually at on the tank in question? If you are using propane from it you can feel or use a temp gun and find the liquid level.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:08 PM   #11

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
I’m at rest in north FL.

I have on-board propane. It will only accept ~1g of propane. Once the 1g ends, the refrigerator indicator light flashes. No fire to the stove top.

I have an Extend-a-Stay. I can connect 20lbs and run the tank dry – heat included. I moved the regulator and lines out of the way. It has to be somewhere in the tank. Or not. There is/was a gauge mounted to a float but that leaked and had to be turned to the 5’oclock position to stop the leak. I filled the tank in north FL. Some 5300 mi had passed before the tank started acting up.

Some onboard tanks used to have both liquid and vapor connections? Was anything changed when the modifications were performed other than inserting a tee? Maybe a photo or two would really help
Old 10-28-2019, 12:32 AM   #12

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Some onboard tanks used to have both liquid and vapor connections? Was anything changed when the modifications were performed other than inserting a tee? Maybe a photo or two would really help
I'm assuming that the tank was filled on the liquid line and if you did or do have a small leak that the pressure is bleeding off and the tank is still full just no pressure, mine did the same thing and it was leaking around the threads on the fill port, I called my dealer and they said to drive it to them, and I said you want me to drive this with a propane leak that I found with soap and water besides I could smell it, dealer said then they will have to tow it, so I hung up and called thor on call mechanic he said the only way to safely move it was to bleed off the tank, which was full so I called my propane company and they came out here and backed the fitting out far enough to reseal and tighten back up no leaks and they did it at no charge.

I would call a propane service company before anyone else.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:57 PM   #13

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
No other mods.