Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2017, 06:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: RS26
State: Alberta
THOR #8480
Angry Quality Control of Thor

I am not happy about the quality of The new Thor I purchased, nor the customer support!! Here is a list of problems that have had to be fixed by the dealer. These are not dealer issue; but are quality control issues from Thor;
- Replaced water pump
- Replace/re-engineer leading mud flaps as they came off
- Repair roof leak around A/C unit
- Repair no A/C air flow through ducts
- Clean under and behind all panels, drawers, openings as full of sawdust, wiring ends, drilled out hole plugs, styrofoam coming from all ducts (after fixed), etc.
- Toilet water line under tension due to pipeline hole in wrong place
- All holding tank wiring hanging down, had to be re-routed
- Gas line hanging down had to be re-routed
- Fresh water drain line had to be re-routed due to hanging to low to drain properly
- Flooring pealing in spots
- Had to remove screwed down panels to access winterizing valves
- Had to re-cillicone molding on roof as it had peeled away
- Had to have the main drain pipe cut and raised so it would not drag so easy
- RV door not sealed, could see light through the door when closed
- Last but not leased the awning will extend; but will not retract. Dealer replaced the motor; but no fix. Thor has disowned the problem so the dealer is absorbing the cost of a new awning!!! Love the dealer, hate Thor customer care. Thor has zero quality control, and will not follow through their own quality issues!!! On top of all this the Ford E450 had a massive oil leak that Ford fixed on warranty.

I hope no one asks me what I think of Thor customer care!!!!! Never have I seen so many issues on a new unit. I have owned two 5th wheels, a truck camper, a pull trailer, and now this motorhome....I have had more issues with this unit than all the other units put together. Thor should stand by the lemon law...they can have it back!!!

Old 07-25-2017, 10:03 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Sorry you are so unhappy with your RV experience. My 2017 Freedom Elite has had its share of problems but none that I required going back to the dealer - my awning has the same issue and might be my first warranty item if I can't get it to work. I have contacted Thor for a couple of things and have found their response and support to be exemplary. I'm really happy with my unit.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:39 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Just curious if you've spoken with someone at Thor or is that what the dealer is telling/blaming their lack of skill/want to for not taking care of your issues. Usually that's the case "we're waiting on parts" that they haven't ordered yet & blaming the manufacturer.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:12 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Just curious if you've spoken with someone at Thor or is that what the dealer is telling/blaming their lack of skill/want to for not taking care of your issues. Usually that's the case "we're waiting on parts" that they haven't ordered yet & blaming the manufacturer.
I think the list of defects that left the factory speaks volumes about Thor Quality Control. It's great to have good customer service for things Thor can't control, but really!!! Have some pride in producing a product without all these manufacturing defects in the first place.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:36 AM   #5

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Someone posted this document (attached) on a different thread and it makes for great reading if you want to understand what's wrong with the RV industry. As long as we keep buying RV's at the current pace, they won't be doing much to fix what will interrupt their great revenue stream.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV-Industry-Death-Spiral-compilation.pdf (1.47 MB, 682 views)
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:25 AM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Damn. That's depressing.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:13 AM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
Although I have not contacted them, I had the dealer deal with the issues, I have to agree, their QC and workmanship sucks. We have had several issues that were just someone doing a poor job, or ridiculously poor design.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:29 AM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
Does Thor have quality issues, yes they do. Do other companies have quality issues, yes they do and some are much worse than Thor. If you think Thor is the only company with quality control problems then you haven't checked any of the other companies sites!

Quality control is an RV industry problem as a whole. Go to the Forest River or Tiffen sites, many, many problems noted, and Tiffen is supposed to be a better coach, NO.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:58 AM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Does Thor have quality issues, yes they do. Do other companies have quality issues, yes they do and some are much worse than Thor. If you think Thor is the only company with quality control problems then you haven't checked any of the other companies sites!

Quality control is an RV industry problem as a whole. Go to the Forest River or Tiffen sites, many, many problems noted, and Tiffen is supposed to be a better coach, NO.
So it's OK to let a crappy product leave your assembly line because everybody else is doing it?

That's not OK in my book.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:05 AM   #10

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
So it's OK to let a crappy product leave your assembly line because everybody else is doing it?

That's not OK in my book.
That's not what I said! I said quality is an industry wide problem!

No it's not or should not be acceptable but the RV industry has no reason to change. Sales are at an all time high and are being sold faster than they can be made, regardless of the quality. The RV industry has NO incentive to change, none.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:28 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
THOR #7993
Quote:
That's not what I said! I said quality is an industry wide problem!

No it's not or should not be acceptable but the RV industry has no reason to change. Sales are at an all time high and are being sold faster than they can be made, regardless of the quality. The RV industry has NO incentive to change, none.
So we should all just shut up and be happy with all the problems that came with our $100,000 motor home? A lot of us are first time owners, including me and were shocked with all the crappy design and workmanship that is only noticed once we bought it, brought it home and actually used it. Don't try to justify a whole industry pushing crap on the unsuspecting public. Remember the late '70s and early '80s American automobiles? They were pretty nice compared to the current RV industry.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #12

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
I was just talking to a younger person about how lousy the autos in the 70s and 80s were compared to today. One big difference was that at least people had the option to buy a cheaper foreign car that was built much better. We don't have that option with the RVs.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:06 PM   #13
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
So we should all just shut up and be happy with all the problems that came with our $100,000 motor home? A lot of us are first time owners, including me and were shocked with all the crappy design and workmanship that is only noticed once we bought it, brought it home and actually used it. Don't try to justify a whole industry pushing crap on the unsuspecting public. Remember the late '70s and early '80s American automobiles? They were pretty nice compared to the current RV industry.
Unfortunately SuperD is right... they have no incentive to change... Its not justifying it - just hard facts...

The auto industry didn't change until the Japanese imports took away their sales with better quality cars... It takes a economic impact to force change... I don't see foreign imports competing for RV's - but it would be a wake up call for the industry if they did.
If people stopped buying RV's because of the quality - it would force a change - but that doesn't seem to be happening...

I've had friends interested in RV'ing - and I encourage it - but insure they come in with their eyes open... If I can't fix the industry - I can at least let my input into the 'unsuspecting public' make them aware before they leap...

Should we 'shut up and be happy about it' - certainly not... but there isn't a high quality choice out there that we can choose to spend our money on instead... They ALL have the same quality issues...

If even ONE manufacturer would step up and address it - it would force a change... but it is a risk, expensive, and I'm not holding my breath...
But if you are reading this Thor - think about the competitive advantage you would have if you took the lead...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:48 PM   #14

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Unfortunately, it is what it is. Whether's a "cheap" $100,000 RV or an expensive half million to million dollar RV, quality control is varying levels of crap.

It only takes about five minutes of research on the internet to know that. So, it's very unfortunate when people are blind sided by it, because it's much better if people know going in they are going to deal with anywhere from minor to major problems related to quality control.

Twice now I've researched Forest River models (because I like the semi local dealer) and both times within an hour or so the horror stories are so bad that I don't think I have the stomach to buy a Forest River. It makes the complaints on here look like the Thor's are perfect.

Every time I walk through Winnebago's on the lots, they are already falling apart with trim falling off, etc.

Everyone wishes it wasn't the case, but unfortunately the demo for RV's has massively expanded and they are selling them faster than they can, or should be, making them. There are no other manufacturers sitting out there to woo buyers away with quality (like Japan in the 70s/80s) and there is zero chance that there is going to be any massive boycot.

So, hopefully most people go in with their eyes open and know that if you buy a new coach, you WILL have problems, regardless of manufacturer. Some advocate buying used and letting someone else deal with warranty nightmares, but that also assumes they did actually deal with the issues and created a problem free coach, and didn't instead just let mold, dry rot and other new problems occur from unfixed leaks.

It is what it is.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:06 PM   #15

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
One of the studies I find most interesting is that since the mid to late 90's, the number of active RV owners has not changed. They assume that that means just as many folks are bailing on RV'ing once they experience the frustration as are entering the RV'ing world. I know from owning an RV (12+) since the 70's that this one is my last. Once its gone, my wife and I will completely convert from RV'ers to hotel'ers. I will not miss the stress of owning an RV.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:11 PM   #16

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
One of the studies I find most interesting is that since the mid to late 90's, the number of active RV owners has not changed. They assume that that means just as many folks are bailing on RV'ing once they experience the frustration as are entering the RV'ing world. I know from owning an RV (12+) since the 70's that this one is my last. Once its gone, my wife and I will completely convert from RV'ers to hotel'ers. I will not miss the stress of owning an RV.
That's not what I read. I know I read one study that indicated that there were a million new RV owners from 2005 to 2011, going from I think 8 million homes with RVs to 9 million.

A quick google shows that that trend is continuing or increasing.

YEAR RV SHIPMENTS

2016 430,691
2015 374,246
2014 356,735
2013 321,127
2012 285,749
2011 252,300

The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: Business Indicators

That's a massive increase in units shipped per year.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:57 PM   #17

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
That's not what I read. I know I read one study that indicated that there were a million new RV owners from 2005 to 2011, going from I think 8 million homes with RVs to 9 million.

A quick google shows that that trend is continuing or increasing.

YEAR RV SHIPMENTS

2016 430,691
2015 374,246
2014 356,735
2013 321,127
2012 285,749
2011 252,300

The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: Business Indicators

That's a massive increase in units shipped per year.
those are not all new RV owners, lots of repeat/trade up customers. However, seems reasonable that the total owners is increasing, especially with demographic changes in this country. Lots more 20-40 year olds than there were 15 years ago. Baby boomers are still here in force. In a decade, expect baby boomers to be less of the marketing focus.

Those build numbers are heavily weighted to the TT units, about 2/3s of this years builds. Likely more skewed to first time buyers. Class A production really have not changed much in the last 3 years, so they should not be seeing as much production pressure as even the Class C, and could focus more on quality. Class B is increasing, but I suspect there may be new players and additional manufacturing infrastructure supporting it, the product prices seem to justify an investment.

Travel trailer quality would really scare me today. I dont know how they do it, to put nearly as much hardware into a 15k trailer as they do in a 40k fifth wheel and a 100k motorhome. Something has to suffer.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:01 PM   #18

THOR #5196
Quote:
So we should all just shut up and be happy with all the problems that came with our $100,000 motor home?
I didn't say that either!!! I'm just stating what I thought was the obvious, I'm just as frustrated as everyone else with the poor quality!
Old 07-26-2017, 05:11 PM   #19

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
Quote:
I didn't say that either!!! I'm just stating what I thought was the obvious, I'm just as frustrated as everyone else with the poor quality!
Give it up "D" sometimes its a loosing battler in today's world nobody should be blindsided a singe search of the internet will tell you everything you need to know OK MY TURN PILE ON

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:14 PM   #20

Model: challenger 37YT
State: Michigan
THOR #6874
I told a Thor rep if they were like the auto industry where they have good inspectors and TAG problems and have a special repair line like the auto companies do, things would be better. Right now they push them out to the dealers, the dealers push them off on the buyers leaving it to the buyers to find all the issues, therefore end up paying $150 per hr for repairs instead of paying a worker $15 . They could drastically reduce their price, their costs and their customers. But sad to say, it's like the oil companies and hospitals, they charge what the market will bare.