Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2018, 12:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Florida
THOR #11425
Water pump running continuously

I notice on my 2014 Thor Hurricane that when connected to shore power and with the water selector valve in the normal position (on-board tank feeding plumbing appliances) that the water pump is running continuously. No faucets are on or dripping. Toilets are not running either. Still, I can hear the water pump running and when I turn it off at the panel, it goes silent. I have water in the fresh water tank and waste tanks are mostly empty.

Should the pump run continuously? And btw, where is it located?

Old 09-02-2018, 02:56 AM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
The coach water pump should only run when the high pressure side of the pump falls below a set pressure threshold, which typically occurs when you open a water tap, flush toilet(s) etc....... OR if you have a leak somewhere. I own an ACE so cannot help with your water pump location.....follow the pump noise. Do you have normal water pressure flow when you do open a water tap?

If there are no obvious downstream leaks (taps closed etc) maybe make sure the shutoff valve is “open” from the fresh water tank to the low pressure side of the water pump (so that you are actually supplying water to the LP side of the pump). You might also check the water filter screen (usually near input to the water pump) to make sure no plastic bits are causing a blocked low pressure side water flow to the pump? (If you check the filter make sure the filter cap is replaced correctly to provide an air tight seal (no cracks in cap or bad cap seal) or the pump will draw air instead of pumping much water). Failing that, make sure that there are no leaks anywhere else in the coach......hot water tank area; dog wash taps off any check other plumbing cubbies etc. Check under the coach for drips.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:32 PM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
The other possibility of course, which I did not mention in my original post is that the pressure switch in the pump is defective and needs replacement. I think some pump makers have pressure switch replacements available and there are videos on the net on how to do that. The following link is a good source for RV water pump failure solutions:

https://www.smithsrvcentre.com/page/...the-water-pump
Old 09-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
water pump should only 'run' when you turn on a faucet or the shower - otherwise, it's an air leak that is causing it. An air leak basically makes the pump 'think' you have a faucet open. It's usually a water line attached to the water pump that is not tightened, or the pump itself has an issue with a seal/filter.
Water pumps are usually located either in the water bay, or on the other side of the water tank, or sometimes even under the bed.

'Where' do your hear the sound coming from?
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:30 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
The other possibility of course, which I did not mention in my original post is that the pressure switch in the pump is defective and needs replacement. I think some pump makers have pressure switch replacements available and there are videos on the net on how to do that. The following link is a good source for RV water pump failure solutions:

https://www.smithsrvcentre.com/page/...the-water-pump
This would also be my best guess.

Good luck in finding the source of the problem.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:25 PM   #6

THOR #11425
And now...

Now I notice it isn't running continuously any more. But every 20-30 seconds, I can hear it cycle on for about 2 seconds and then stop. I'm developing a love-hate relationship with my MH.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
This kind of reinforces the thought that it's the pressure switch...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
mine did this... it was a slight/slow leak of water into the toilet - I replaced the toilet valve and no issues since. Of course, while I was at it, I also added a shut off valve behind the toilet, where there was none from the factory.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:49 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairfieldwizard View Post
Now I notice it isn't running continuously any more. But every 20-30 seconds, I can hear it cycle on for about 2 seconds and then stop. I'm developing a love-hate relationship with my MH.
On the Surflo water pump there are two adjustments. The one in the center of the pump head is the high pressure cut off. It regulates the water pressure in the coach. The second one (on the left as you look at the pump head) is the high pressure bypass. It relieves the pressure in the pump and water lines. The pressure switch should be set at about 55 psi and the relief at 62 psi. The relief should start to open at about 42 psi so the pump will continue to run normally even if the faucet is not fully open. That said, the reason for the pump cycling when the faucets are all off and there are no water leaks in the lines; is the pump's back-flow valve is bad. There are three solutions: replace the pump, replace the pump head or install a one-way valve in the line before the pump. I chose solution number three.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:45 PM   #10

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
On the Surflo water pump there are two adjustments. The one in the center of the pump head is the high pressure cut off. It regulates the water pressure in the coach. The second one (on the left as you look at the pump head) is the high pressure bypass. It relieves the pressure in the pump and water lines. The pressure switch should be set at about 55 psi and the relief at 62 psi. The relief should start to open at about 42 psi so the pump will continue to run normally even if the faucet is not fully open. That said, the reason for the pump cycling when the faucets are all off and there are no water leaks in the lines; is the pump's back-flow valve is bad. There are three solutions: replace the pump, replace the pump head or install a one-way valve in the line before the pump. I chose solution number three.
Do you mean the supply side?
The Remco 55 AquaJet RVA water pump on our 17 Challenger 37 TB is running costantly.
I've checked everywhere I know to check, no leaks. I did pull the Kantleak valve and clean an Teflon tape all threaded connections ( which stopped the leak, from my Kantleak)
While doing that I noticed the pump was shoved against the wet bay wall, almost completely crimping the supply line.
I repositioned the pump, moving it away from the wall. My wet bay is finally Dry, but the pump still runs,and never shuts off. Also installed a cut off switch in the wet bay so I can control the pump from there when working on it.[ATTACH]13226
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181002_125917.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	13226  
Old 10-04-2018, 02:59 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Sometimes the simplest things can bite us in the kiester. Are you assuming water is in the tank based on the gauges? Can you physically see the water tank? It may be that the water level is just low enough to still activate the sensor but the pickup for the pump is below the water level or just at it. This is an older thread so you've probably already checked this.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #12

THOR #11425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr758 View Post
The Remco 55 AquaJet RVA water pump on our 17 Challenger 37 TB is running costantly.
I've checked everywhere I know to check, no leaks. I did pull the Kantleak valve and clean an Teflon tape all threaded connections ( which stopped the leak, from my Kantleak)
While doing that I noticed the pump was shoved against the wet bay wall, almost completely crimping the supply line.
I repositioned the pump, moving it away from the wall. My wet bay is finally Dry, but the pump still runs,and never shuts off. Also installed a cut off switch in the wet bay so I can control the pump from there when working on it.[ATTACH]13226
I'm back with idea of solving this. Anyone know where, exactly the water pump is on my 2014 Hurricane?
Old 10-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #13

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairfieldwizard View Post
I'm back with idea of solving this. Anyone know where, exactly the water pump is on my 2014 Hurricane?
What model Hurricane do you have ? Location is dependent on model sometimes.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:27 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr758 View Post
The pumps run continually because it doesn't sense 55 psi at the pump. It could be a bad pressure switch, but in my case it was because the pump was leaking back into the fresh water tank. To stop the back flow, a one way valve was installed in between the tank and the pump
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote