Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Georgia
THOR #5927
Question about tripping circuit breakers

We just got back from our regular trip from our second house in Utah to Atlanta and I have a question about circuit breakers for the Axis 25.2 owners out there.

Twice on the journey, we tripped circuit breakers. Once was in camp and we tripped the circuit breaker in the post. Once was on the road and we tripped the circuit breaker on the generator. I'm certain we were running the AC and the microwave when we tripped the generator circuit breaker. I'm beginning to think we might have been doing the same when we tripped the circuit breaker in the post.

I've been thinking about this (which you get lots of time to do when you cover 400-450 miles a day!). The circuit breakers in the distribution panel are 20A for AC and 15A for the microwave. If they were both pulling the full amount of amperage, that could account for the tripped circuit breakers.

In our previous RV, there was no issue running the AC and microwave at the same time. Just wondering if other people are having this issue?

Or, is this a sign of an issue with a loose connection somewhere?

Our 25.2 has the 15K BTU AC.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
If you are running off 30 AMP service, you should be able to run a single AC unit and the microwave at the same time without tripping a breaker. I have done that many times in my coach without issue. First thing I would do is check all wire termination points to make sure they are all secure.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:46 AM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Those two alone should run ok on 30A - but what else was on??
As example, if the water heater was on electric - would easily put you over if that cycled on as well... Anything else that might have been in use?

If you have a surge suppressor - many have a display that will tell you what you are drawing (on each leg for 50A - on the single leg for 30A). Turn on both the AC and microwave and see what it reads... Will tell you how much more you can use.... (note that the 'startup' needs of the AC are more than the 'running' needs...)

Never hurts to check for loose connections as 'stuff happens' when we bounce down the lovely roads...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:13 AM   #4

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
If your A/C is a 15,000 BTU unit then your total current draw could be around 16 Amps +/-, and the microwave mighr draw as much as 10-12 amps but I don't know the type/size of your microwave. As the A/C units cycles off and on there will be some "inrush" current upon restart that, combined with a microwave running at maximum wattage, could be enough to exceed the upstream breaker's (pedestal or generator breaker). The previous post about knowing the actual loads running and having a way to neasure that load would go a long way in diagnosing the problem.

You may not have a loose connection but it wouldn't hurt to have all electrical connections checked either by a knowledgeable friend or a licensed electrician/technician.

Good luck,
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:53 AM   #5

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSexton View Post
We just got back from our regular trip from our second house in Utah to Atlanta and I have a question about circuit breakers for the Axis 25.2 owners out there.

Twice on the journey, we tripped circuit breakers. Once was in camp and we tripped the circuit breaker in the post. Once was on the road and we tripped the circuit breaker on the generator. I'm certain we were running the AC and the microwave when we tripped the generator circuit breaker. I'm beginning to think we might have been doing the same when we tripped the circuit breaker in the post.

I've been thinking about this (which you get lots of time to do when you cover 400-450 miles a day!). The circuit breakers in the distribution panel are 20A for AC and 15A for the microwave. If they were both pulling the full amount of amperage, that could account for the tripped circuit breakers.

In our previous RV, there was no issue running the AC and microwave at the same time. Just wondering if other people are having this issue?

Or, is this a sign of an issue with a loose connection somewhere?

Our 25.2 has the 15K BTU AC.
Sorry, I may be an exception to the other comments with our 24.1 Axis. We have never been able to run both the A/C and the microwave without throwing the circuit breaker. We were also told during the PDI that we couldn't. So we don't.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:19 AM   #6

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I agree. Running the AC and the microwave are pushing the limits of the generator. The converter will be drawing more current as well. I always turn off the AC when using the microwave.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:43 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Available power is marginal so whether main breaker trips depends on specifics. Obviously not all microwaves or A/Cs are the same or pull the same current.

Typical RV microwaves in the 1,000 cooking-watt range can pull 13 Amps easily. Mine did. And with air conditioners there is an even wider range of power. High efficiency 15k BTU/hr units run at less than 15 Amps under standard conditions, but less expensive units often installed by manufacturers can easily go over 15 Amps.

To make matters worse, in very warm climates air conditioners pull more power/current. Warm temperature inside and or outside makes A/C work harder, making it more likely to trip breaker. A/C manufacturers list extreme of this information under desert conditions.

Low campground voltage may also play a part. The difference between 110 and 120 Volts can be significant.

And as others have said, other loads like water heater or converter charging batteries can take total over 30 Amps.

On a cooler day after motorhome has cooled down, turning the microwave on for a few minutes while A/C is running "should" be OK most of the time. I've often gotten away with it. On hot days when inside of RV is still warm I usually turn off A/C first.

Likely outcome is not black and white in my opinion.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:20 AM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
As it was already said your converter may have kicked in plus the refrigerator and or water heater. There are a lot of devices that could pull on the 30 amp circuit, starting the microwave may have been the one straw to many.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:26 AM   #9

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
in hot weather we ALL can have issues with tripping breakers ... for various reasons, but most likely:

- we mention only the 'large' appliances, but forget that the water heater, fridge, 120v outlet items like fans and devices, as well as lights are all ALSO drawing amps
- your Charger can be a silent culprit - if you can turn it off, or down at least(to 5 amps or so), it will also save you some amps.
- breakers do not work on 'exact' amps for tripping, but are measured by HEAT that is generated for that particular breaker wiring - too much and it trips. During hot times the wires are already hot just from the ambient(surrounding) temps, and therefore require LESS 'extra' heat(amps) to trip the breaker.

... what to do? remember to cut off/unplug all unessesary items when needing to make use of the 'big' items. Sometimes you may need to forego the AC while microwaving, or even visa versa.

In hot times, be ready to man the breaker box, and prepare to step out to the generator - it happens to all of us at times.

a note: while most of think that the generator can supply just as much power as the shore power can, it could be less than that - check your generator size and maximum amps output.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote