Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2019, 03:05 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Ohio
THOR #14952
Recommendation for new tires

We are buying a 2013 Thor ACE 30.1 and believe the tires are original with 36,000 miles on them. Any recommendations on buying new tires? What manufacturer? Buy the same size as original? Where to get the best price? Should we have an alignment done at the same time we have the new tires are put on? When should tires be replaced on MH? Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 04-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #2

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
I cannot answer all the Q's...
But front end alignment would be a good idea when tires are newly installed.
One consideration I would make, on the tires, is a high load rating on the tire, for safety.
e.g. 8 ply, or load range H, something like that.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Recommendation for new tires

Well I’m sure you’ll get lots of opinions to sort through. Here’s mine. A 2013 coach might be on a 2012 chassis. If they are original tires they might be going on 8 years old - you can tell by the date code on each tire which will be a four digit number at the end of a string of numbers down near the rim. They will be the week and year the tire was made. In your case maybe something like 4312 which would be the end of October 2012. 7 years is a long time for an RV tire and you should replace them even if they have good tread left. I’d go with the OE size and rating and I’d personally use an RV specific tire. Some folks use truck tires because they are cheaper but I’ve also heard they can give a harsh ride. It’ll be harsh enough as it is and you don’t need anything making it worse. My dealer recommended Goodyear over Michelin which goes against my historical preferences for cars but he didn’t stock either and said his margin on either brand was the same so I would respect his opinion. I’d get the alignment checked if the old tires show any uneven wear patterns at all. And I’d absolutely certainly replace the valve stems with dually valves. Expect all this to run you in the neighborhood of $2500. Sad but true. Enjoy your new rig!
Old 04-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
You will probably get as many opinions as tire brands. I would use same size tires as originally installed. Most tire manufacturers build pretty good tires. Do. Google search for recommendations
Old 04-08-2019, 03:25 PM   #5

THOR #14952
Ok, will keep that in mind, thanks 10cDust, Pete'sMH and KOLCB for all the information and suggestions.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I like to keep things simple. If those tires held up for so many years: I'd seriously consider staying with the same brand and model...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:50 PM   #7

THOR #14952
@Bob, I think that may be the best thing to do. Have already called our Goodyear guy and he will give us a great deal. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
My local Ford truck dealer has very competitive installed prices, like $2,151.80 for 6 Hankook 245/70-19.5 installed

Package Pricing Includes:
Tire(s), FET, Low Price Tire Guarantee, TireCARE Road Hazard, Mounting, Balancing, Lifetime Rotation, Valve Stems (non TPMS only), Multipoint Inspection, Local Customer Courtesy Shuttle, Customer Lounge with WIFI and coffee, Lifetime Nitrogen With Tire Purchase, Free Alignment Check With Tire Purchase, Taxes (Sales Tax, Tire Disposal).

I had Hankook on previous RV and found they seem to resist cracking better the Goodyears or Michleins.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:48 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
You might check into the FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association) tire discount program. I’ve never tried it but the guy who stores his Tiffin DP next to me in my storage yard (nothing like keeping good company!) tells me it’s a good deal.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:25 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
Stay with the same size and load rating so you don't have to worry about rear dual spacing and rubbing on the tire wells up front. Your placard pressures should be the same but verify with the manufacture you choose to go with. Consider second tier manufacturers such as Kelly, Cooper, Dunlop or Uniroyal.

I've had Kelly Armorsteel tires on the coach for 50,000 miles. No abnormal tread wear, no sidewall deterioration, no cracks or splits and at 1/2 the price of an "RV" tire. The only cleaning agent I've ever used on the tires is soap and water along with keeping them covered when the coach is home. No 303, Armor All, Tire Shine or other so called preservants. No complaints with the ride and driving back to back 500 mile 12 hour days isn't a problem.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:40 AM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by lal22 View Post
@Bob, I think that may be the best thing to do. Have already called our Goodyear guy and he will give us a great deal. Thanks!
Good luck!

Tags
new tires, tire size, tires