Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2017, 07:34 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 38sq
State: California
THOR #4598
Recommendations for Service

I have a 2016 Thor Tuscany XTE 34st that is due for its 6000 Mile or 6 Month service on the Freightliner chassis. I am in the Los Angeles/Orange County area, and I’m looking for a Freightliner authorized service provider that is competent and ethical. Yes, in the perfect world I would just do it myself, but I’m getting a little long in the tooth and lacking in motivation to take on these tasks.

Based on my research I’m concerned that my desirements/expectations may be unrealistic. I can’t find any service providers with reviews that most RV owners would be comfortable. I’m willing to drive a substantial distance; haven’t defined what that equates to in miles to obtain this service.

In my research and personal experience, it appears to me that most service providers have implemented a model wherein they grossly over estimate the cost on the labor side, be their work competent or otherwise. I would greatly appreciate it if the audience in this forum could speak to this issue and provide referrals that they would be comfortable using. Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #2

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
One thing I have learned in 40 plus years on the road, avoid out of town maintenance and repairs like the plague! If your looking to have maintenance done you hopefully are looking around home as well as looking for referrals there. Where do RV owners in your neighborhood go? Google repair places then google the BBB and on line comments and recommendations about them. You probably already did that but that's what I generally do in your situation. I agree with you about the charges. They see RV and they think deep pockets so the price gets stupid. I had a run in with a large truck facility in a repair and eventual replacement of an Onan generator. When it was done I saw they had charged me $500 to completely check out the old one before charging me hundreds more to replace it with a new one. I argued the cost of the supposed "diagnostic $500" and they dropped it entirely off the bill. Second thing I learned in 40 plus years on the road, don't be afraid to question and even politely argue your case for unreasonable fees. I have saved more money by chatting up the service director types and being friendly than in any other way. The dumbest and yet simplest way to save? Be nice. I make it a habit (on purpose) when service will take awhile I let the service mgr know I'm walking to eat or get coffee and offer to bring them something with a smile. Unless he is a sociopath this makes it hard for him to deliberately get out the screwdriver when completing your bill.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #3

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Don't know where in LA county you are, but when I had a freightliner chassis I took it to M&M in Chino.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:55 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Dave,
Have you talked to the Thor rep you met in Az. He might have some suggestions.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:15 PM   #5

THOR #4598

DogLovers, thank you for taking the time to provide me with some very thoughtful advice. The “Be Nice” portion is definitely not my strong suit but something I will work on. I’m in the process of joining an organization that has an RV camping group; so, maybe I will be able to get some guidance from some of them with respect to local service providers. Again, much thanks.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:40 PM   #6

THOR #4598

LACO, thanks for your feedback. I've heard of M&M. Colton Truck Terminal Garage was recommended to me by a couple individuals on the iRV2 board. In doing my follow-up research and speaking with them I have decided to give them a try. I haven't been able to find anyone with as good of reviews as Colton Truck Terminal Garage. I'll post a follow-up after I have worked with them, which could be a couple months out. Again, thanks for making the effort to help me.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:22 PM   #7

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Colorado
THOR #1497
Sundance,

Freightliner has an app that lets you search for all approved freightliner service centers. The app is called Freightliner Custom Chassis 24/7 Direct. The app used to not only identify the authorized list of service centers, but also identified the preferred centers. I'm not sure what the difference was. It appears it no longer does that.

It doesn't provide you with reviews, but it does provide you with a starting point.

Good luck,
Old 01-23-2017, 12:32 AM   #8

State: Arizona
THOR #6329
For those in AZ, we found a place that seemed reasonable, called "the Tire Factory" in Coolidge. We had them check our brakes and they didn't charge us. Also had them another time, change the oil. Seemed like good guys.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:19 AM   #9

THOR #4598

Thanks to each of you for the helpful feedback. I love the RV forums, the camaraderie and support for each other is amazing. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:23 AM   #10

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
LACO, thanks for your feedback. I've heard of M&M. Colton Truck Terminal Garage was recommended to me by a couple individuals on the iRV2 board. In doing my follow-up research and speaking with them I have decided to give them a try. I haven't been able to find anyone with as good of reviews as Colton Truck Terminal Garage. I'll post a follow-up after I have worked with them, which could be a couple months out. Again, thanks for making the effort to help me.
If you are interested in the Colton, Ca area... then you should try Redlands Truck and RV in Redlands, CA. I have been there twice with my new Axis. Oil change and also to put rear metal wheels below the tow bar so I can get up my driveway. Excellent service. Also had them do the first alignment and the Saf-T-Plus install.