Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2018, 06:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: West Virginia
THOR #10450
Slide leak

I have a 2014 Thor Chateau. I have tried everything but still have leaks onto the floor from the front and back of the slide. It happens when travelling in the rain. Seems that water is carried by the tires from the pavement and it goes on the floor inder the slide. Now going between the floor and liinoleum. Anyone have an idea?

Old 01-13-2018, 06:59 PM   #2

State: California
THOR #10354
If the leak is truly ate front AND the back of the slide, maybe this is normal in heavy rain. RVs are not hermetically sealed units. Could you install wheel splash guards? Check the entire seal length for levelness. Make sure, if you have the new track system that you re-synchronize it and follow the instructions, leaving the switch on for a couple of seconds (they suggest 5 seconds) after the slide is fully extended and when retracting it as well. There are two separate motors driving these tracks and they are not perfectly matched, so leaving the switch on after closing and opening makes sure both motors have reached their stalled, higher current limits that only happens when both motors have pulled the slide in or out all of the way to their "stops".
Old 01-17-2018, 04:07 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
If you only get the leak with the slide in my guess is the face trim on the low part of the slide needs caulking.

I had the same issue on my Miramar and after spending days with a garden hose finally discovered the entire length of the slide had no caulking on the top of that lower trim. Most of the time the water that would leak in would evaporate on the floor before I saw it. I actually discovered the leak by sleeping in the RV in a truck stop during a thunderstorm, with the slides in. I got up when a garbage can blew past the RV and walking through to the front I stepped into a small puddle of water.

I spent the next several days discovering and solving the problem.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
If you only get the leak with the slide in my guess is the face trim on the low part of the slide needs caulking.

I had the same issue on my Miramar and after spending days with a garden hose finally discovered the entire length of the slide had no caulking on the top of that lower trim. Most of the time the water that would leak in would evaporate on the floor before I saw it. I actually discovered the leak by sleeping in the RV in a truck stop during a thunderstorm, with the slides in. I got up when a garbage can blew past the RV and walking through to the front I stepped into a small puddle of water.

I spent the next several days discovering and solving the problem.
I have the same model as you. I'm trying to picture what you mean by "top of the lower trim". I'm assuming this is on the living room slide behind the driver seat.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:22 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 28z
THOR #5725
I had this problem as well- while it seemed that the caulk there was lacking, that didn't work. We ended up caulking BEHIND the corner of the slide where it attaches to the "box". i had lots of gaps there as well, and we figured it followed the track in. I don't have pics now, but take a look behind the wall when it is extended and caulk what you see. We used dicor for it, really got about 1/4 of a tube in there. This has worked for us.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:50 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
I have the same model as you. I'm trying to picture what you mean by "top of the lower trim". I'm assuming this is on the living room slide behind the driver seat.
Yes...when looking at the slide from the outside you will see face trim all the way around the slide. The lower one had no caulking at all. I also found missing caulk around the outside tv as well. I got water in there once when I encountered a rainstorm while traveling.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
Yes...when looking at the slide from the outside you will see face trim all the way around the slide. The lower one had no caulking at all. I also found missing caulk around the outside tv as well. I got water in there once when I encountered a rainstorm while traveling.
OK thank you, I'll take a look.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote