Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2019, 06:09 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
The 32 foot rigs should have had 19.5 inch wheels and then you could put on a much better tire

I have seen two 32 foot rigs blow tires and one was weighed later and was over loaded so if your not running maximum inflation which on the sidewall is actually the minimum psig or the maximum load, you probably have hot tires and will eventually blow them out

Old 10-17-2019, 08:26 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post

.....cut.... I understand they are a bit rare and hard to get....but from what I could find at the time the load range E was the highest option for that size. ....cut.....
I had no problem getting one. The E-350 and E-450 Ford chassis use the same size tire as the RAM ProMaster van, where the 225/75R16C is an option. On the ProMaster the lower capacity LT225/75R16 tire is standard. The commercial tire is optional.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:28 PM   #23

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Recurring tire issues, class C

You can all but forget about getting the Rickson 17.5” wheels.

I intended to go that route with my Outlaw 29H and called them in March. They could not give me any date of when they might be available. They said maybe July but no guarantees.

I checked with them in June and was told that “no news was bad news”..... eventually the sales girl who had been there for a long time even quit over the summer..... she sounded very frustrated.

I got no further response to emails or voicemails. That’s when I decided I would go with a commercial rated 16” tireless like the Goodyear Fortitude with a 3100lb rating and more durable sidewall. I was going to pull the trigger in those next spring till I traded her in.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:05 PM   #24

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Thanks Judge, good to know. I find it nearly unbeleivable that they wouldn't keep an inventory of at least one set on hand and keep it rotating.... Not sure how the expect to sell any that way. A person isn't likely to order at the same time they put new tires on, in preparation for the next cycle a year or three down the road!

This thread has me thinking.... I need to do a little research to remember how many miles and years were on my tires when I had my blowout... and start planning to find a set of those C-Type

It was mid april 2017 when I had the blowout. We bought the thing June 2014... so basically 3 years of running + a year sitting on the dealership lot. I'll have to look at how many miles were on them compared to this set now...My feel is that we haven't put as many miles on this set as we did the last, but not by much. These tires are looking a lot better on teh outside, not that that means much I suppose. I've kept them covered and I don't think there's any surface cracking like the michelin's had. Think I'll take a closer look at them today!
...so at about 2-1/2 years on this set I'm getting fairly close to a new set of tires I guess. Ugh.... it's always something...

anyway, thanks for the thread... a good reminder for me.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:58 PM   #25

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Not sure if it applies to you but parking/storing any thing on dirt or grass surfaces for an extended period will dry out tires in the area touching the ground quickly. Unsealed concrete can do the same thing but to a lesser degree over a longer period of time. It's why most garages and carports have very smooth surface, sealed concrete.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:52 PM   #26

THOR #16072
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
Check the mounting bracket for your mud flaps. I had the mud flap bracket that is mounted to the front of the rear tires cut down a tire a couple weeks ago on the inner dual.
I've often wondered why they put those mud flaps in front of the back tires. A couple years ago I went to get the propane filled before a trip and on the way I heard an intermittent bang type if noise above 45 mph. Found it to be the sliver of front mud flap that wasn't worn out was catching between the tires. When I got to Ace hardware to fill propane the guy loaned me a pair of tin snips, I cut off both sides.
I would think those mud flaps might restrict air flow to keep the brakes cool..
Old 10-19-2019, 10:53 PM   #27

Brand: Keystone
State: North Carolina
THOR #5391
I'm not a big fan of Hankook and do not like GY at all. Sailun makes commercial tires but I believe all are 110 psi or higher. For LT I'd start with these
LT265/75R16
S2000053
123/120 R
3415@80
BUT I'd call the company and ask for suggestions.

Edgewater 205 EXP
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:21 AM   #28

Model: Four Winds 28Z
THOR #14059
Where did you have the dually valves installed? Tire place or rv place?
Old 10-20-2019, 01:14 PM   #29

State: Maryland
THOR #15737
Taking a guess

I would have to look inside the tire but there are 2 things that it sounds like to me.
1. Rock in the tire (but if it has happened more than once I doubt it.). This usually happens when the pressure is too low and the rock gets trapped between the shoulders and pinches each time it hits the road.
2. Ford / Firestone issue. Paying attention to the door sticker and not determining the correct inflation based upon the weight on that axel. Excessive flexing of the sidewalls and the sidewalls rubbing at the point of road contact. This causes excessive heat buildup and blows tires.

Both are related to under inflation of the tires. Changing the brand will not change the problem unless you also address the pressure issue. Please note NOT EVERY TIRE uses the same pressure. So the doors are wrong the minute you change a tire or add weight to the vehicle.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:27 PM   #30

Model: Axis 27.7
State: Ontario
THOR #13204
E450 chassis tire load information

The OEM tires on the Ford E450 chassis are Hancook Dynapro HT.
The size is 225/75R16 115/112S (load rating 2680/2484lbs)
Tire diameter is 29.2""

Options for increased load rating are:

Hancook Dynapro HT C235/85R16 120/116Q (load rating 3169/2806lbs)
Tire diameter is 31.7"

Hancook Dynapro HT C235/65R16 121/119R (load rating 3267/3074lbs)
Tire diameter is 28.0"

As you can see, the diameters are different & will affect your overall gear ratio a small amount, but there are no "C" tires available in the original size.
I'm maxed out on my tire & axle weights with the OEM Hancooks, I have not had any issues yet in about 7000miles. but an upgrade may be in order....
Daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:22 PM   #31

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Don't get to hung up on the "c" rating for it being a 'commercial' tire. Do a quick search on tirerack.com for your size tire and filter the results by load range "e". There are plenty of tires in your original size. On my last coach, a class c with your size tires, I ran a Goodrich Commercial T/A. Had good luck and the tire wasn't real expensive. The load range of the tire is what you should be looking at, as that tells you how much weight the tire can carry.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:06 AM   #32

State: South Carolina
THOR #17179
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
Your tires were junk when they were new and they're also overloaded.

Ditch them all and replace with decent, preferably larger tires and you won't have anymore blown tires. My 27.7 Vegas was easily overloaded with just full gas and water and basic camping cargo, I'm betting your 32' Class C is also overloaded.

I went with taller tires, on a 32' I would strongly suggest doing the same. You'll have to get your ECM tuned to correct the speedo if you go bigger on tires. Stock tires are 225/75/16. I'm running Michelin XPS Rib 235/85/16's. They have significantly higher load ratings and run way quieter and smoother than the Hankook junk. I got rid of those stock tires before our Vegas had 3k miles on it.

Take my advice, get rid of those tires NOW! And don't replace them with the same ones.

I agree with this. The XPS Rib tires have a steel cord casing and are serious commercial tires. That said, the pic (I could not blow it up) looks like air infiltration leading to separation. This would have been a "soft" bulge before it failed. Check the beads carefully for mounting damage.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:38 PM   #33

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Don't get to hung up on the "c" rating for it being a 'commercial' tire. Do a quick search on tirerack.com for your size tire and filter the results by load range "e". There are plenty of tires in your original size. On my last coach, a class c with your size tires, I ran a Goodrich Commercial T/A. Had good luck and the tire wasn't real expensive. The load range of the tire is what you should be looking at, as that tells you how much weight the tire can carry.
the problem as I see it is that range E isn't strong enough for these 31ft+ class C rigs...
Old 11-29-2019, 04:33 AM   #34

Model: Chateau 31E
State: Indiana
THOR #7936
Send a message via ICQ to macgyvr Send a message via AIM to macgyvr
Late to the party. I was going to do the 17.5 rims and tires but went with Nexen's instead.

Here's the thread where that happened.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...tml#post213790

mac 'they're still working out' gyvr
Old 11-29-2019, 01:40 PM   #35

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
The OEM tires on the Ford E450 chassis are Hancook Dynapro HT.
The size is 225/75R16 115/112S (load rating 2680/2484lbs)
Tire diameter is 29.2""

Options for increased load rating are:

Hancook Dynapro HT C235/85R16 120/116Q (load rating 3169/2806lbs)
Tire diameter is 31.7"

Hancook Dynapro HT C235/65R16 121/119R (load rating 3267/3074lbs)
Tire diameter is 28.0"

As you can see, the diameters are different & will affect your overall gear ratio a small amount, but there are no "C" tires available in the original size.
I'm maxed out on my tire & axle weights with the OEM Hancooks, I have not had any issues yet in about 7000miles. but an upgrade may be in order....

There are various manufacturers making the ORIGINAL size in Commercial rating. Google 225/75R16C and you should get more information.

Note there is no LT (light truck) at beginning, and “C” follows immediately after the 16” rim size. Some tire shops are unfortunately butchering the designation on their websites.

I know they exist because I have one as my spare.