Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2016, 11:01 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #4764
Controlling Sewer Gas

I have a Thor Challenger KT37. I am using it while building a new home. I have to empty the black water holding tank every few weeks. But during the interim, the sell from the tank backs up into the bathroom area. I added microbes and deodorant to stop the smell. Is there a way to vent the gas so that it does not build up in the bathroom area. Currently, I have to keep the vent fan running all the time. Any help is appreciated.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
That really shouldn't be happening: Are you keeping some water in the toilet bowl (which you should do anyway to keep the gasket there wet).

Not sure if the Challenger's have those anti-siphon trap vents in the plumbing like our Axis does. We have one in the bathroom and if it is broken it would vent right into the bathroom.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:05 PM   #3

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
There will be a vent running from your black tank all the way up to the roof of your unit. Make sure the cap is in place and free of obstruction. Also, is your toilet seal holding water in the bowl? If not, either put some plastic gloves on, turn the water off, and clean the seal. If the seal still will not allow the bowl to hold water then replace it.

Also, by running the bathroom ceiling vent fan, or fantastic fan, you will tend to pull odors out of your black tank if your toilet seal isn't in perfect condition. You may think you are venting your stinky bathroom but in fact could be creating the problem.

Next time you empty your black tank make sure you flush it several times. Keep flushing it until the water runs out completely clear. Remember to always add extra water with each flush cycle. We hold the pedal down for at least a count of 5 each time to make sure we are getting plenty of water in the tank.

Hope this helps.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
good bet is that it's your air admittance valve under the sink. (assuming your lavatory drains to black tank)

I found mine were not even hand tight, and later that they were not sealing. Bought replacements at Lowes hardware and haven't had issue since.
Seems a lot of folks have issue with them
Old 09-07-2016, 01:01 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Joe-FL may have something on keeping fan running. I just installed cover for vents so we could keep them open while motoring or when there is rain etc. DW flushed toilet while we where moving and because of the air suction from vents we immediately smelled the black tank. I have never had any odors till this happened once we closed vent there was no more odor when we flushed. On our way to FL panhandle.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:31 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
As BLW2.stated check the anti-siphon vent on the bathroom sink. Not sure about the KT but my ND black tank vent is shared with the kitchen and bathroom sinks. I can see where that valve could cause odor if it was malfunctioning.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:19 PM   #7

THOR #4764
Thanks for all the responses. Very helpful and good ideas. I have the anti-siphon valve under the sink. Should it be open (easily twists to left or right) or should it be tight? I will mess with it to see if the odor is reduced. And I will not run the vent fan unless not using it makes it worse. The odor is confined to the bathroom and on the outside where the flush values are located. There are no drips and my toilet bowl holds water. I also let water run into the tank to be the fecal matter is covered by water. This is my first motor coach and don't want it to be my last. My wife is ready to bail. Thanks again and any further help is appreciated.

Rodger
Old 09-07-2016, 05:37 PM   #8

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
it's not an anti-siphon valve.

It's called an Air Admittance valve. It lets air in but nothing out.... if it's working right. If it moves it might be loose.....
It should be threaded into the plumbing pipe tight enough to seal. It' wouldn't need to be super tight, but tight enough to seal, and moving with your fingers isn't sealed.
but
it has a cap over the diaphragm that just fits over the valve and that could be a little bit wiggly.

Inside it's just a simple diaphragm. Like a flap that closes. Lets air in but nothing out. I found that if you unscrew the whole, flip it upside down so that the stinky side is up forming a cup, you should be able to fill it full of water and it should hold. If water is getting out this way, then stinky air certainly can get out too.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:05 PM   #9

Model: A.C.E. 27.1
THOR #2240
Hi,
I added these to my MH, seemed to do the trick

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40595-W.../dp/B003P64XU4

Rgds
Tex.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:37 PM   #10

THOR #4764
Air Admittance Valve

I took the valve off and turned it upside down and filled it with water as explained. No water came out, so I assume that the valve is ok. I drained the grey water and the smell went away as it should have. I will monitor this for a week and see how it goes. The vent that uses the wind to suck the smelly fumes looks like a nice feature for venting on the move. Thanks again to all who have contributed.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:21 PM   #11

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
Hi,
I added these to my MH, seemed to do the trick

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40595-W.../dp/B003P64XU4

Rgds
Tex.
Yes indeed, I installed one of the Cyclone vents first off in all my RV's. They do a good job of making sure there is neg. press. in tank. Inexpensive and easy install.
Although, on the Vegas, due to the proximity of the bathroom ceiling vent cover to the sewer vent; air turbulence at hwy. speeds caused the Cyclone to rattle up and down. I added a horz. stabilizer to the vert. fin which smoothed it out.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:07 AM   #12

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Well covered here, but I would add that if the trap under the sink dries out, you'll get bad odors from that, too. Our previous coach had a double sink in the kitchen, one was rarely used and we always knew when that trap had dried out. "What's that smell?"
Old 09-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #13

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #1592
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgerc1967 View Post
Thanks for all the responses. Very helpful and good ideas. I have the anti-siphon valve under the sink. Should it be open (easily twists to left or right) or should it be tight? I will mess with it to see if the odor is reduced. And I will not run the vent fan unless not using it makes it worse. The odor is confined to the bathroom and on the outside where the flush values are located. There are no drips and my toilet bowl holds water. I also let water run into the tank to be the fecal matter is covered by water. This is my first motor coach and don't want it to be my last. My wife is ready to bail. Thanks again and any further help is appreciated.

Rodger
you mention this is your first motor home,are you properly cleaning out your black tank?Check out some videos on tank dumping,it could be as simple as not properly cleaning tanks.After I empty mine,I fill it with water and empty it again.Then I add a cup of laundry detergent,fill it again and empty it. Then I flush it one more time to make sure the tank and the sensors are thoroughly cleaned! Yes I'm anal about it but have never had a problem with years of boats and motor homes!There are also new chemicals available that don't perpetuate that old holding tank smell of years ago.Some of the older formaldehyde type toilet chemicals made the smell worse! good luck
Old 09-10-2016, 12:32 AM   #14

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4119
controlling sewer gas

Rodgerc1967,

We did the same thing as Texan. We added the vortex device to increase the flow of air out of the vent stack. The venturi effect created by this device from a cross wind works well. Cheap too.

And, check the seal on your adjacent fantastic vent lid. Our was not set right and created sewer gas to migrate into the RV.

Machlin