Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2016, 05:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Spare Tire

I am having trouble finding a 19.5 10 lug wheel to use as a spare on our 2015 Windsport 27K. According to the specs for our 18000#chassis, the wheel is 19.5 x 6.75. We have 245 70 19.5 tires. I can find 6" wide wheels, but not 6.75. I am also finding a lot of wheels with 225 70 19.5 tires on them which I am assuming have 6" wide wheels.

THREE QUESTIONS:
1) Has anyone used Chevy 3500 wheels? I was told they are 6.75" wide and supposedly will fit. I haven't seen one yet to compare measurements.
2) Can a 245 70 19.5 tire be mounted on a 6" wide rim?
3) What is the downside to using a 225 70 19.5 tire mounted on a 6" rims a spare for limited use. I am aware of the difference in the diameters but both of the spares for our cars have spares which are much smaller than the regular tires.

Thanks in advance for your advice and thoughts.
John

Old 04-13-2016, 10:41 PM   #2

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
There should be no downside to using the 6" wide rims and the 225 vs 245 tire
should be fine for a spare.

I've been wondering about this same subject (carrying a spare) since my MH
does not have a spare either.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:10 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
A good plug kit with a nice compressor, if that cant do the trick a good road side assistance insurance, kick back and relax after all you are in your house on wheels.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:56 AM   #4

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
Have your tried a Ford truck dealer for your spare wheel/tire?

Bruce
Old 04-14-2016, 11:55 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
I too have given thought to the need for a spare. I suppose just because 60 years ago I started driving with a spare tire and back then occasionally had need of a spare. Tires must be better today because I have not needed to use a spare in maybe 20 years. My MH has no good place for a spare. Furthermore, I'm not really sure I want to try jacking up and changing a tire. Spare, jack, wrenches, all that is a lot of weight I'd rather use for other stuff. If I were headed up the Alaska Highway or into Mexico I might rethink having a spare. Otherwise, I am going to call for roadside assistance if needed. Sure, I might have to wait. But with a bed and a refrigerator, I can handle a wait.
Chuck Peck in the CasaLoca
Old 05-01-2016, 04:42 PM   #6

THOR #2204
Since we are taking a long trip this summer I decided to purchase
a take off or used tire of the correct size to carry in the bed of my
toad for a spare.

Also found GCR Tire Centers who have mobile road service trucks
pretty much all over the USA. 1-800-541-8473

I have AAA road service for my MH, but I figured that having additional
info would not hurt.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:38 PM   #7

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Personally I wouldn't mix tire and rim sizes on a vehicle with dual rear wheels. If going to the trouble of carrying one at all, I'd get the right size even if it costs a little more.

Specs show 225 tires on 6" rims and 245 tires on 6.75" rims. Plus offset and load ratings are different too. Even if it works why take the risk?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1922  
Old 05-01-2016, 05:48 PM   #8
DNS

Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Ohio
THOR #2222
After making several trips without a spare with our previous RV, I started reading several places that if you carry an unmounted spare you could get a roadside service company to change it. I bought a tire just prior to heading out for Florida one year. We were underway for 2 hrs when we blew a hole about an inch in diameter in the left front side wall. AAA didn't have a roadside service in the area, but they sent a wrecker that towed us to a shop about 30 miles away that changed it in their parking lot. When I replaced the spare I decided to have it mounted, but couldn't find a used rim. I ordered a new one from Rickson Wheels for about half the price of the Ford dealer. Six months later we were traveling through Virgina when we had the same type of blow out on the left inside rear. Called a Travel America Travel Plaza about 10 miles away and was back on the road in about an hour. The tires were less than 4 years old and apparently they had a manufacturing defect.
After that, we will not travel anywhere without a spare.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:33 PM   #9

THOR #2204
Yesterday I went to the truck tire shop (GCR Tire Centers) and
bought a take off tire of the correct size for $80.00 out the door
to carry as a unmounted spare for our upcoming trip to Canada.

I have two choices as to where to carry this tire, there is one out
side compartment on my Thor Hurricane 34E that will hold it or
in the bed of my truck which has a locking lid on the bed.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:55 AM   #10

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Unmounted Spare for Axis 24.1

I want to carry an unmounted spare for our Axis 24.1 with the thought that I would hate to spend a day waiting for a tow service to find one in the event of tire damage while underway. Anyone have a good idea where I could stow it? I am still thinking of a way to store it underneath in front of the tow bar and behind the last cross member.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:42 AM   #11

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
I want to carry an unmounted spare for our Axis 24.1 with the thought that I would hate to spend a day waiting for a tow service to find one in the event of tire damage while underway. Anyone have a good idea where I could stow it? I am still thinking of a way to store it underneath in front of the tow bar and behind the last cross member.
You can take a look at post #1 here http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...egas-1322.html
Easy to mount, but if you mount it without a rim, you may want to fit some blank ply rim disk to keep road debris out of the tire. I have a few more pics if you think it would help.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:26 AM   #12

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
You can take a look at post #1 here http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...egas-1322.html
Easy to mount, but if you mount it without a rim, you may want to fit some blank ply rim disk to keep road debris out of the tire. I have a few more pics if you think it would help.
MCR1010,
Thanks for the picture.... that is what was running through my mind. Gives me an easy direction. All the best to you.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:59 PM   #13

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Earl, if you are worried about the weight, the tire will weigh approximately twice as much as the wheel, so most of the damage will be done regardless. I would personally go with a mounted wheel/tire and accept the extra 25 pounds or so (my 16-inch tires are slightly larger and weigh about 50 pounds for tire versus 75 pounds mounted on steel rim).
Old 06-07-2016, 01:47 PM   #14

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Earl,

if you are not towing you can use the trailer receiver with a Curt hitch and have your mounted sparetire....
WP_20151226_13_27_53_Pro.jpgWP_20151226_13_28_32_Pro.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20151226_13_27_53_Pro.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	2196   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20151226_13_28_32_Pro.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	2197  

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:21 PM   #15

THOR #3483
Spare Tire Stowed

Thanks to all for the input about carrying a spare. I decided to go ahead with stowing an unmounted spare tire between the rear frame rails. I also used a length of 2x6 wood just behind the fuel tank, securing it in place with some 5/16 carriage bolts utilizing holes already in the frame. For now, I wrapped the tire in saran wrap used for wrapping furniture and also used two heavy duty rubber bungies around the tire and the 2x6. It isn't going anywhere and gives me a little more piece of mind.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:40 PM   #16

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Thanks to all for the input about carrying a spare. I decided to go ahead with stowing an unmounted spare tire between the rear frame rails. I also used a length of 2x6 wood just behind the fuel tank, securing it in place with some 5/16 carriage bolts utilizing holes already in the frame. For now, I wrapped the tire in saran wrap used for wrapping furniture and also used two heavy duty rubber bungies around the tire and the 2x6. It isn't going anywhere and gives me a little more piece of mind.
I carried an unmounted spare to Alaska and back in the back compartment, passenger side. You have to "squish" it a bit, but it fits.