Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2015, 10:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Cold Weather 12 volt light on

It is very cold here in Ohio, as it is everywhere this week!

My wife told me yesterday I had left the porch (outside door) light on in the motorhome when I came home from work yesterday. I was in the RV that night before and thought I must have hit the switch by accident. This morning on my way to work the light was on again - no one had been in the RV. Strange right!?

This time the light would not turn off with the switch, nor does the 12 volt power switch for the entire RV turn it off! Also, the switch for the steps stopped working and the steps are now out and will not retract!

Anyone else had / seen this problem!? I had to take the light out of the porch light to prevent it from burning out. The steps are out and not in the way so I will attack this issue when the deep freeze ends.

Another reason for me to hate Thor and scream again very loudly that THOR SUCKS!!!!!

Old 01-08-2015, 10:41 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Your motorhome is a 2015 Thor 34J? And it's electrical system is wacky?

The aftermarket thanks you for what you are experiencing! At some point, you will identify and fix all of the weird and wacky imperfections. Then, the next owner will have a nice functioning motorhome without all of the depreciation that you just paid for.

I hate to be so blunt. However, these types of weird things happen to all brands of motorhomes, not just Thor.

To ease your pain a bit, here is a tidbit from someone who is paying significantly more for their depreciation than you are:

Last weekend I'm setup as a brand new 2015 black and shiny graphics Tiffin Allegro 32ca motorhome pulls in. My new neighbor is screaming within seconds of pulling in and shutting of the motor. His windshield shade will not come down and the sun is blaring into his face. About twenty minutes later he finds the selector knob to his water system was missing, (with a little more yelling to accompany his frustration).

He had used vise grips to switch over to city water and damaged the valve stem. Yesterday he personally replaced the entire valve so that the newly acquired knob would slide on properly.

And these are just things that I noticed.

He was also telling me that he is going to take in his new motorhome for warranty repair, (he is scheduled for the first week of February, the next available date), of the heater thermostat, broken drawer slides in the kitchen and bedroom, the shower door is broken, his rear camera is acting "funny", and he noticed loose electric outlets.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:50 AM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Since I couldn't get a schematic from Thor, and since I don't fully understand the circuit of relays behind that use/store switch..... and since I'm paranoid having replaced too many batteries in other rv's and boats from neglect.....
so one of the first things I did was to install disconnect switches on both the house battery and on the chassis battery. Every time I park to store, the batteries get disconnected.
Something I would suggest to almost everyone....
Regardless, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. Good luck
Old 01-09-2015, 09:33 PM   #4

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Beacher, thanks for the story, made me chuckle!

blw2, the old 2003 Sunseeker had a manual battery cut off switch that worked great! I will most likely install one of these this spring!

Funny thing, I started the RV this afternoon, closed the door and the steps did retract, as they are supposed to. Tried it a couple of times and worked fine. Turned off the motor, locked and closed the door and the steps stayed out! Arggggg! So it is electrical as they are definitely not frozen. I am going to say it again, why can't the Japanese build motorhomes!?
Old 01-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Ugh.....
I actually saw a MH going the opposite way on the highway the other day.... I was screaming at them, but of course they couldn't hear me. they had their steps deployed travelling don the interstate!
Is there a safety or bungee you could lock them in with?