Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2018, 12:10 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 34J
State: Alabama
THOR #5645
Inverter 250 Amp Fuse Location

I checked the camper when I got back from a trip and noticed my inverter isn't working. All I see on the wiring diagram between the batteries and the inverter is a 250 amp fuse. Does anyone have any idea where this fuse is located?

WarEagleDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:28 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I don’t know your coach specifics but typically inverters can draw high currents on the DC (coach battery) wiring side (depending on size of inverter). So that usually means large gauge and shortest possible DC power feeder wires from battery to inverter. I would expect either a special high amp rated fuse or a circuit breaker for the inverter, mounted close to the coach batteries. Follow the battery + wire if you can. The coach will likely also have a single 100 Amp cct breaker close to the coach batteries for jack pump motor and generator start power feeds too.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:51 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
are the batteries too low, and it shut down on it's own? Most do this to preserve the batteries from being drawn down too far if you accidentally leave it on too long, or the batteries are not being charged.

Is the Charger on? Are you plugged in?
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:04 AM   #4

THOR #5645
It's not the fuse

I got a chance to take a quick look at it late this afternoon. It's not the fuse. Batteries are fine, converter's fine, everything (except the inverter) works on shore power or on generator power. I'll crawl under it tomorrow and try to figure out if the inverter is getting 12V from the batteries.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:50 AM   #5

THOR #5645
Inverter has input

13 volts are present at the input terminals on the inverter but the monitor panel says the input is 00.0 vdc. Anyone have any idea what I should look at next?
Old 08-28-2018, 02:23 AM   #6

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #11383
How did you determine the Fuse was OK. At the terminals of my Invertor/ Convertor is a fuse. It is a bolted connection using 5/16 or 3/8 studs hidden by a plastic cover.
But reading again that your convertor is working and batteries are 13 volts leads me to ask are the Convertor and Inverter separate units. You may have two fuses. The fuses should be found in the Positive (Red) cables.

Clay
Old 08-28-2018, 03:40 PM   #7

State: Illinois
THOR #12676
You by chance didn't turn off your breaker for the hot water heater did you?
I know what you are thinking. I have a new 2019 30FE and thought my converter was bad because it was not charging my batteries. but what it was I turned off the breaker for the hot water heater and it turned off the converter. Why it is wired that way is because they made a mistake..
Old 08-29-2018, 09:07 PM   #8

THOR #5645
Problem Solved

The inverter is connected to the remote control panel by the door by RJ11 cable. The cable is connected to the panel pigtail by a RJ11 feedthrough connector. The jack on the inverter side was not fully seated so it worked its way loose. It was making enough of a connection to power the panel but not enough to control the inverter. When I reseated the jack the inverter came back online.

MS60ocb - 12 volts on both sides of the fuse. I didn't notice what your RV is but my Windsport has separate converter and inverter. The converter is under the bed and the inverter is in the 3rd box back on the driver side.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:02 PM   #9

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Those 250amp fuses are called mega fuses and they are usually in the battery cable line to inverter or close to the batteries, the fuse is usually mounted in a plastic housing with 2 screws and either a hard cover or a red rubber cover.