Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2018, 02:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Replace Cabinet Door Struts

The struts on both of our dining area cabinet door have failed. The doors won't stay open and they sometimes open on the road.

Has anyone changed the struts on a Windsport K-27? I'd like to know the make and model of the struts. I hope they are more suitable for the weight of the doors than the ones that came with the unit.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:02 PM   #2

Model: Mandalay
State: Florida
THOR #11268
My struts were also sagging it seemed. One strut per door. I replaced them with identical looking struts and still sag. I added an additional strut to the door which fixed the problem
Old 01-02-2019, 12:03 AM   #3

THOR #2817
The doors each have two struts, so I will have to find struts with more resistance.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:17 AM   #4

State: Ohio
THOR #989
Ours did the same thing a few years ago. I can't remember where I found replacements, may have been on Ebay. Part of our problem was that the originals were screwed to the cabinet frames too close to the back edge and the wood started to split and allowed the struts to move. I glued small pieces of wood in the original holes and when I installed the new strut I moved the mounting position up about 3/16" to add extra pressure when holding the door up. Works good now. I mounted one and made sure I didn't make it too tight before I mounted the other three. It helps to have a helper to hold the door up when your changing these. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:21 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Measure the length of the cylinder and the total length of the strut. Some struts have the strength (in lbs) stamped on them as well. Amazon has a wide selection of replacement struts.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:16 AM   #6

THOR #2817
Thanks for the replies. I fabricated a piece of wood to hold the doors open when loading and unloading the cabinets. They will work well for helping replace the struts. The longer that I own the motor home the less I like Thor and the more doubtful I am that it will hold together for long. What a POS.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:22 AM   #7

State: Oregon
THOR #20654
Did you ever replace the struts, need to replace mine on my windsport 27k but having trouble figuring out which ones to buy..
Old 09-25-2020, 12:48 PM   #8

THOR #2817
Yes, I replaced the struts with units that I bought on Amazon or eBay. Of course they were made in China. I bought struts of the same length as the worn ones. The new struts have much more resistance than the old struts. They were an exact fit, so I didn't need to use the hardware that came with the new struts. Just popped the old ones out and popped the new ones in. After more than a year, they are still working well. The four struts were very inexpensive, less than $20. I'm sorry that I didn't keep track of my order so I could tell you where and exactly what I bought.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:32 PM   #9

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
I got my struts from Amazon, worked fine:
Apexstone 80N/18lb Gas Strut,Gas Spring,Lid Support,Gas Shocks,Lift Support,Lid Stay,Set of 2
Old 09-26-2020, 05:26 PM   #10

State: Oregon
THOR #20654
I also ended up ordering some new struts off amazon..

I went with the 100N/22.5lb since that was the markings I found on my original struts..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1