Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2018, 04:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6698
Replace that Jensen JRV212T!

I'm in the process of revamping the entire sound system in my Axis 24.1. It currently has the stock crappy Jensen JRV212T stereo in it. I am upgrading to a Pioneer MVH2300-NEX for the head unit. The biggest hurdle to upgrade to a better unit has been (for me) the proprietary video connectors that are used on the camera inputs from the backup camera and the mirror cameras.

After doing some research online I have located the adapters that are required for the upgrade. The adapters consist of a female camera input plug that matches the male Jensen camera inputs and they terminate in RCA type connectors that are the industry standard for video camera inputs that connect to a head unit.

The adapters are available online at RV Cameras Product Code is: 31300006.

These adapters are $23.50 each, so they are not the cheapest, but they allow the installation of a superior head unit without having to cobble up a lesser solution that may fail while on the road.
I have also purchased a multiplexer on Amazon.com for the camera signals that will allow me to use all three cameras just like they are used in the Jensen. That product is the Brandmotion 9002-6117 2-Way Video Switcher.

All of this will allow me to get away from the cheap gimmicky original equipment and install some high quality audio components that will work well and sound awesome.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:52 PM   #2

Model: ACE 30.1
State: New York
THOR #10579
Great info, thank you
Old 05-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Florida
THOR #11425
Can we get some details?

Hey there, Mauserdude67

I have a Thor Hurricane with the same Jensen JRV212Tradio. I am not ashamed to admit that I have, in the past purchased motor vehicles on the basis of the sound quality of the audio system. But not in this case. It's awful.

I'm looking to replace the Jensen with a better quality Kenwood or Pioneer AV receiver and then install a separate backup monitor. Sounds like what you're doing/or have done.

Did you complete your upgrade? How did it go? I've got a million questions:
Did you go with the multiplexer? If so, why didn't you consider a three input monitor instead? How long were the 31300006 adapter cables?
How do you like the Pioneer MVH2300-NEX? I assume you didn't need any special kind of mounting hardware or trim kit, right?

Got any pictures?
Old 05-15-2018, 05:04 PM   #4

THOR #6698
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairfieldwizard View Post
Hey there, Mauserdude67

Did you complete your upgrade? How did it go? I've got a million questions:
Did you go with the multiplexer? If so, why didn't you consider a three input monitor instead? How long were the 31300006 adapter cables?
How do you like the Pioneer MVH2300-NEX? I assume you didn't need any special kind of mounting hardware or trim kit, right?

Got any pictures?
Hi, there. I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my abilities.

1. Yes, I completed the upgrade in time for my Texas to California and back trip.

2. The sound system works flawlessly. It was the most intensive sound system upgrade I've ever taken on and it is the most dramatic improvement I've ever experienced. I'm so glad I did it.

3. I did use a multiplexer. I used the RV Cams CSW3007 switcher and a set of adapter cables. They have since discontinued that model and have upgraded to a more complete setup that I wish I had bought. It's the Voyager #CSW3014 3-Camera Add-on Switch Box Code: CSW3014

4. I didn't want to add yet another monitor to the growing electronics suite I already use while traveling. It's just a matter of personal taste. If you want to use a dedicated monitor then by all means do it.

5. Those adapter cables were probably 3 feet long, but I didn't wind up using them so I sent them back. I could not get that system from Brand Motion to work to my satisfaction.

6. The Pioneer MVH2300NEX is a superb unit. It has a very clear display, it offers complete control of audio levels and equillization. It will run Apple Carplay and has hands-free Bluetooth capability. It looks good in the dash and I just plain like Pioneer products. I always have.

7. I did buy a Pioneer-specific installation kit through Crutchfield.com since the deck doesn't come with the mounting cage or a trim plate to go around the unit when installed. I'll try to post some pics later, I am at work right now so it's impossible to do while on the clock.

I hope that helps. It took a lot of work on my part and I had to take out the driver's seat to access the area on which I wanted to mount the amplifier and run the power and ground wires. It also was not cheap but I'm hanging onto my rig for the foreseeable future, so I'll enjoy the heck out of it for a long time.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:13 PM   #5

THOR #6698
This one of the 6.5" speakers that are mounted in Retro Sound surface mount pods on the dash near the windshield:

This is the passenger side 6"x9" speaker that is mounted where the stock 6" speaker used to be:

Here is the 4 channel 400 Watt amp mounted on the wall on the driver's side of the cockpit, it feeds all 4 of the new speakers:

This is the Pioneer MVH2300NEX mounted in the dash and all lit up:

I had to file a small amount of material out of the opening in the dash in order for the mounting kit to fit. I just had to square two of the corners, so nothing too drastic.
Old 10-26-2022, 07:38 PM   #6

State: New Jersey
THOR #24686
I have 2014 Thor Vegas and am trying to remove radio. I used tool to pop it out Jensen JVR212t. But won’t pull out. I tried to call Thor. To get some advice. When I did speak to someone. They told me it probably had a band support to hold it in place. Which means I have to get behind the radio. But my thor Vegas 2014. Does not have an easy access to the back of the radio. I’m wondering how I can remove the front panel. To be able to pull a unit out and disconnect this strap. Does not have a access panel. Like on the Thor axis. I found two bolts at the bottom took the nuts off. But on the top panel it seems to have bolts holding it down until they dash So I’m afraid to pull it and possibly break the fiberglass facia. Has anyone got any ideas on removal of the front facia without destroying the front panel thanks
Old 10-26-2022, 07:46 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Try removing the doghouse and laying on your engine on your back. I've done that in my ACE.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote