Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2017, 12:31 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #8244
Problems with shore power & more...

I have a new 2017 Thor Palazzo 33.2. Initially, the shore power worked, but took 30 minutes to convert over. As of Sunday, it failed to convert over at 30 amp (after adjusting the panel/ shore power to 30 amp), and also at 50 amp (adjusted dial to 50 amp). I am assuming this is a problem with the Auto Transfer Switch, but not sure. Has anyone else experienced this and are there any suggestions to test/ resolve? I have many other warranty items such as a leak (in wall) at the bathroom sink, faulty dash lights, power ports with no power, and several others. Any body else run into so many problems with their coach fresh off the lot? I'm a bit disappointed with the initial quality after forking out $150K. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Colorado
THOR #7174
The only real way to figure this issue out is with a voltmeter and time. Start at the pole, then work your way back through surge protector if you have one then just keep going until you find the issue odds are high it's the switch/solenoid/bird unit.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:33 AM   #3

State: Nevada
THOR #15961
I am frustrated too. Just had A/c go out and took 3 months to get a part to fix it. Now the transfer switch went out and needs to be replaced which may be your problem as well. It has been frustrating as one thing after another seems to go wrong. I am very dissatisfied with our purchase but now with depreciation we are stuck with the coach for a while. Only positive is it came with a 40k warranty which is paying for itself already.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #4

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Every RV owner needs to have a voltmeter and learn how to use it.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:11 AM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
as a fellow Palazzo owner, I might can help, but give us a little more information as there can be model year differences in the installation and devices used in the '17 versus the '14...

- what do you mean when you say 'switch over'... are you saying that you are waiting 30minutes after you've plugged your shore cord into the power source for the coach to move from 'Inverting' to 'Charging' on the Inverter Panel, and for you to have access to using your roof air conditioners, etc? Are you hearing a 'thump' almost immediately when you plug into shore power?

- I imagine that whether you are plugging into 50amp shore power, or 30amp shore power, it should make no difference, as it is all the same 120v power*. Even a household 15amp outlet should work.

- my Transfer switch is within the foot-end of the bed frame, under a panel cover. Your may be in a different place, but I can remove my ATS box cover and easily see the design of the wiring and magnetic switches inside, with two main incoming wire set from the Generator and the Shore Power, and one outgoing to the Main Electrical Panel.

-What is the 'adjusting the dial' you are referring to? SHORE MAX setting? If so, that will have no bearing on the ATS function, but only serves to help limit the Battery Charger from using too much amperage if you are on 30amp or less shore power, but otherwise would not have any impact on the 'time' the ATS takes to switch over.

when you crank and run your generator, does the same 'lag time' happen? When you use the generator, there WILL be a 20-30 second transfer time, as the ATS is registering the voltage output of the generator, which takes time to spool up, as opposed to Shore POwer, which should IMMEDIATELY switch over.

when you are plugged into shore power and 'waiting' for it to switch over, are you hearing anything from the ATS? Such as a 'nervous jiggle' or something? (that's a fancy term for the magnet(s) trying to make contact!)...

one thing that can happen with many coaches, many times fairly soon after ownership and some travel history, is that the wiring connections are becoming loose... I would unplug from shore power, and check the tightness of each wiring screw within the ATS.
A loose connection can cause many issues, working sometimes, and not others.

*50amp Shore Power is actually 240v, with two incoming 120v hot wires, which is what the coach uses within it's Main Panel - it doesn't combine the two for 240v, though, but uses them separately for two 120v 'sides', for a total of up to 100amps of usable power : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:02 AM   #6

State: Nevada
THOR #15961
I just got the call from the mechanic and it appears the the convert has gone bad. One arm is only putting out 2-4v and the other 12v. It’s shutting the whole system down. Even being plugged into shore there is no power.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:29 AM   #7

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard11 View Post
I just got the call from the mechanic and it appears the the convert has gone bad. One arm is only putting out 2-4v and the other 12v. It’s shutting the whole system down. Even being plugged into shore there is no power.
Please explain this statement. What do you mean by One Arm A converter only puts out 12 volts DC on one leg. The other leg is ground. NO VOLTS.

Shutting what system down?
Old 10-04-2019, 01:23 PM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Blackbeard 11, what TYPE of coach do you have?

the original post, by a Palazzo owner, would not have anything to do with an Converter since the Palazzo does not have one.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
palazzo initial quality, shore power issues