Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2017, 03:55 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: California
THOR #4322
Grey water leak

ACE 29.2 2016. Grey water tank about 3/4 full and discharge valve closed. The discharge pipe connection to the grey tank came off. Water everywhere. The pipe did not break the connection just seems to be by glue and came off. Any suggestions on how to make a better connection other than just glue. Thanks.

Old 08-19-2017, 05:14 AM   #2

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
I just had similar experience yesterday with my "new" Freedom Elite 22FE. Took out of garage after ownership about a week and tested all the systems before using for a trip. Filled fresh water tank, ran all systems, filled black and grey tanks with clean water about half full. With valves closed noticed a steady drip from grey water discharge line in front driveway. Made note to have repaired under warranty next week. Drained all holding tanks in driveway that has very slight slope to street and let them drain for quite some time. Backed back into garage on flat garage floor. Went out about 2 hours later walking around rig in back noticed a large puddle that just had reached my large gun safe in back of garage. Drained all out what was in line on flat garage surface into bucket, about 2 gallons. If I would not have checked this, water would have run underneath gun safe and over night could have caused some very expensive damage. Safe is very large about 1k lbs. and sits on top of rubber vinyl vapor barrier but still could have caused some amounts moisture to wick into safe where I have several very valuable antique and modern firearms. Even after this is repaired, I will never park in garage with "any" water in any of the holding tanks. May eventually move safe but this will take a professional mover to move into another garage area. Also have apartment built to rear of garage where my safe backs the wall and if enough water was to leak from any of the tanks, even with safe removed, water would wick under the wall into guest unit.

Looking closely and shaking ABS drain line, it appears it is completely loose and never was glued in place. So much for the PDI that was suppose to be done before I picked it up.

Lesson learned: If you store inside, beware of possible consequences of a possible leak that can or may happen anytime due to vibration or physical road damage.

I do consider myself very lucky as this could have caused some very serious damage and loss to a very valuable antique firearms and irreplaceable collection that even insurance could not have compensated.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:16 AM   #3

THOR #8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dljames View Post
ACE 29.2 2016. Grey water tank about 3/4 full and discharge valve closed. The discharge pipe connection to the grey tank came off. Water everywhere. The pipe did not break the connection just seems to be by glue and came off. Any suggestions on how to make a better connection other than just glue. Thanks.
If glued "properly", should not be an issue. (PROPERLY)!
Old 08-19-2017, 02:20 PM   #4

THOR #4322
Glad nothing major for you. I was at campsite. Yes glue properly... dealer "fixed" minor leak in this area 10 months ago but guess not properly. That is why wife wants me to do it. I will glue then gorilla tape all around for extra support.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #5

THOR #8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dljames View Post
Glad nothing major for you. I was at campsite. Yes glue properly... dealer "fixed" minor leak in this area 10 months ago but guess not properly. That is why wife wants me to do it. I will glue then gorilla tape all around for extra support.
Hey there. I thought about this all last night. I had a Monacho Class A diesel coach over 25 years ago and now thinking about this, I'm almost sure the black and grey tank lines to the valves may have been heavy rubber hose, like you'd see on a large radiator system on heavy equipment and not ABS plastic. I am not an engineer but seems that over time, any glued piece of rigid plastic pipe may give way at the glue joints due to vibration. If mine go again after repair, I will be doing my own repair using flexible hose rather than plastic pipe. Flexible hose from tank outlets to valves, IMO, would reduce a lot of movement from vibration or flexing since the joint is going to be the weakest part of the discharge lines. Just my opinion.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:10 PM   #6

THOR #4322
Hmm, that is a thought. But I am in middle of repair now. Have connections all clean and dry. Ready for glue. After glue dries I will wrap using " rescue tape". Thanks for your thoughts.