Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2019, 12:02 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #13387
Installed it myself and connected to my existing rear view camera. Used Youtube to see how others did the install and whether or not I was comfortable doing it myself. Not my first head unit install. It was easy for me. I enjoy doing things like this. I'm sure you could find a local installer if this is not in your comfort zone. The Kenwood was a major improvement. Now have a built-in Garmin GPS, Apple Car Play/Android, superior sound quality and the backup camera's quality also improved.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:11 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Freedom Elite 28H
State: Florida
THOR #1929
They didn't have to do anything with the rear camera. They were able to use the original wire harness. Plug and play.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:46 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 25.3
THOR #4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdine View Post
Installed it myself and connected to my existing rear view camera. Used Youtube to see how others did the install and whether or not I was comfortable doing it myself. Not my first head unit install. It was easy for me. I enjoy doing things like this. I'm sure you could find a local installer if this is not in your comfort zone. The Kenwood was a major improvement. Now have a built-in Garmin GPS, Apple Car Play/Android, superior sound quality and the backup camera's quality also improved.
Well the original radio was truly trash, I'm really concerned about the cameras and the quality, and I wasn't sure if the wiring needed to be replaced or the whole camera. If there's going to be a significant Improvement in the cameras... as is ... with a new radio unit, then I guess we could keep the original cameras. But right now they aren't functioning at all, and when they were... yeah, they were crappy.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:42 PM   #24

THOR #13387
The video feed is 26 feet. Signal loss is to be expected on a long feed. The backup camera in my unit retails for $113.00 and only sold by one vendor. I was ready to replace the unit because it had terrible video loss. Fuzzy like a in a fog and the color was washed out. But with the new Kenwood I was able to make adjustments with the color which made a huge improvement. Not sharp like my car backup camera, but good enough compared to the original head unit.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:27 PM   #25

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: California
THOR #3559
Our Axxera av614bh that came in our Freedom Elite 28H (Ford E-450) died a silent death. I see that some of you have replaced it with Kenwood Exelon DDX 595 and I am hoping that model is still available -- looking now! How has this Kenwood been working for you? How difficult was it to install? I am a do it yourself guy and have installed many car stereos "back in the day." Appreciate any helpful comments. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:30 PM   #26

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Any double din radio fits.
I suggest you also look at the brands like Joying and Eonon for Android based large screen units.
Unless you own Kenwood stock, there are too many choices to limit yourself to a certain brand.
There are screens available up to 13" from well regarded manufacturers.
I doubt there's a unit made which doesn't have a dozen reviews and installs and long term analysis on youtube.

Since a unit isn't rv specific, I'd go to all sources of review.

It takes two butter knives and ten seconds to dislodge your current unit. The new one will likely slide right in to the exisitng mount. If it doesn' fit, it's four screws in to exisitng holes to switch Mounts.
The wiring however is not much like the old days. It cost me $100 to have mine installed by a pro.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 04:41 PM   #27

THOR #13387
It's been a year since I replaced the factory radio with the Kenwood so my memory isn't perfect. The Kenwood is far superior the factory original, which i thought was junk. The Kenwood has superior fidelity and my back up camera finally was useable. You can control the backup camera video display to account for lighting and color conditions.
Concerning the change out process. I've changed several factory radios over the years so this change was about average in difficulty. There are several YouTube videos showing how to remove the dash and associated hardware. Fitting the new Kenwood is tight if you choose not to completely remove all the connectors that control the Heat/AC. I did not remove them so the opening is limited but with care the factory radio can be removed and the new Kenwood will fit. Take your time doing this procedure.
I assume you will get the necessary wiring harness to attach the Kenwood to original factory wiring so it will be close to plug and play.
Best wishes if you decide to go with the Kenwood. i would highly recommend the Kenwood.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:58 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:38 PM   #29

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
Enjoying this thread - because I'm NOT enjoying my Axxera radio. Mostly because it gets poorer AM/FM reception than a couple of tin cans and string. I'm tempted to replace it even before it dies, just for improved reception.

HOWEVER (there's always a "but", huh?)..... I've looked at a few of the models listed in the thread on Amazon - and don't see any of them that support more than two camera feeds. Either rear only, or front and rear. Am I missing something in descriptions on wiring a backup camera and the two "turn signal cameras" on my rig, or do I need to be looking at different units to support three cameras?

Thanks,
Old 03-06-2020, 06:47 PM   #30

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureTheSouth View Post
Enjoying this thread - because I'm NOT enjoying my Axxera radio. Mostly because it gets poorer AM/FM reception than a couple of tin cans and string. I'm tempted to replace it even before it dies, just for improved reception.

HOWEVER (there's always a "but", huh?)..... I've looked at a few of the models listed in the thread on Amazon - and don't see any of them that support more than two camera feeds. Either rear only, or front and rear. Am I missing something in descriptions on wiring a backup camera and the two "turn signal cameras" on my rig, or do I need to be looking at different units to support three cameras?

Thanks,
The camera feed is controlled outside of the radio unit by a box that coordinates the three cameras and the turn signal and reverse feature. All a radio head needs is one video input from this external remote box.

There is no relation of that control box to the head unit except a single signal out put cable from the box to the input of the radio head.

The control box on my vehicle is 5 feet away from the radio head with a single cable connected to the radio.

Post 186 in my signature link shows what a 10.1" screen looks like in a Thor dash. I moved my cameras to an overhead monitor so I can use my new radio head as a map or weather screen.
It's just a monitor, nothing except a video in connection. This is offered a proof of the external control box doing all the camera integration.

Punchline:
Buy the radio you like even if it has just one video input.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:31 PM   #31

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
Shopping commences in earnest..... Thanks, Duck!
Old 03-06-2020, 09:41 PM   #32

THOR #13932
YouTube is the best place to shop for radios.
My eonon had about 8 hidden features requiring codes to access. I found them all on youtube.

Radios aren't vehicle specific. Some bezels are, but not the unit itself.

Check YouTube.
'10.1 android car radio review' should get you dozens of models.
There is now a 13" rotatable and angle changing screen available.

No need to go silly expensive. With the 85db background sound of an Axis/Vegas I don't think you're going to hear the high hat on Bohemian Rhapsody no matter what you buy.

Android 9.0 or better is what I would want.

Old 03-06-2020, 11:21 PM   #33

Model: 25.2 Axis
THOR #3471
You ever think about replacing it with something that has rv. Gps
Old 03-06-2020, 11:53 PM   #34

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
You ever think about replacing it with something that has rv. Gps
I'm not understanding your question.

If you mean a head unit with an rv specific GPS program, Sygic and many others run on Android.

Old 03-07-2020, 12:05 AM   #35

Model: 25.2 Axis
THOR #3471
I’m talking about radios like truckers use with radio gps back up cameras.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:20 PM   #36

Model: Axis 24.2
State: California
THOR #18202
Wiring harness question

I am looking hard at options to replace the stock radio in my Axis 24.2 on a Ford E350 chassis.

I understand that a wiring harness, such as one fabricate by Crutchfield, will make the installation much easier. If the harness ties the radio to the existing connector in the dash, is the existing connector common to Ford or is it something from Thor?