Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2016, 02:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5091
AC wiring problems

I have a 2014 Thor ACE 30.1 and I am having AC (120volt) problems with the wiring. Since thor said there is no specific schematic I had to trace the wiring connections myself.

I also bought a circuit analyzer ( a little box that plugs directly into an outlet and shows you the condition of the wiring). When plugged into the various AC outlets, it said that ground and hot were reversed.

When I tested this with a voltmeter at the circuit breaker panel and found 115VAC between ground and neutral (white). Where does this come from?

Also, when plugged into land power, there is now no power supplied even though the cross over measures power coming in. Is there a reset or separate breaker on the cross over?

Robert

Old 08-16-2016, 06:58 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
We had a similar issue. Our circuit tester showed the same as you, and had no 110v in the coach, either shore power, or generator, even though we had shore power at the coach entrance.

We found the issue was our power transfer switch. The hot wire was not securely wirenutted and had arced and melted the copper along with the wire nut. Re-stripping the wire, installing a good wirenut and securing the connection (with electrical tape for good measure) restored all power. And the circuit tester now shows "good"

The only thing bad was THOR couldn't tell us where the transfer switch was, since it was not under the refrigerator like that told us, actually found it under the stove...

But, we learned a lot about the coach during our scavenger hunt
Old 08-26-2016, 07:18 PM   #3

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5091
Found the problem

For those of you who have been reading this saga, I want to report that I found the short. I had to make my own schematic using extra wire and a continuity meter. The short it turns out was in the wire that runs from the bedroom desk outlet to the outlet behind the living room TV. with both ends disconnected, it read short. Since I have no idea where this wire is routed and Thor couldn't help, I connect the TV outlet to the outlet under the kitchen cabinet that is actually in the GFCI circuit. Had to route a small piece of wire from their to the other TV outlet, but the holes were already there.

Capped off both ends of the original wire and taped. Now at least we have TV in the living room.