Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2016, 07:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Windsport 35c
State: Michigan
THOR #2635
Ride Stabilization

I am new to Class A motorhomes and purchased a 2016 Thor Windsport last year. My wife is very sensitive to side winds which seem to have an effect on this unit as it probably does on other brands. In doing some research and reading an artilcle in the newest edition of Motorhome magazine, I am reading claims that
Maxim SumoSprings can help with this issue along with general ride comfort. Has anyone purchased SumoSprings and has it been helpful with sway caused by winds?

Old 02-18-2016, 07:49 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Read that article with interest as well! Was hoping there would be some feedback/comments on those Sumo Springs.

We ran into some serious rough riding on our trip to CA last December, and would like to do something to make the ride a bit smoother!
Old 02-18-2016, 09:27 PM   #3

State: California
THOR #2544
I read that article too. I am looking for real life info on the Sumo's too. I have already added Roadmaster sway bars and reflex steering stabilizer. Drives much better but still a very harsh ride. I read on IRV2 that some that have added the Sumos didn't do anything else. Probably why the dealer only told me about the sway bars. I am curious if I can get by with the Sumo solo's. They are cheaper and I can install them myself.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:34 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Seems a bunch of us are trying to determine the same thing about the Sumo Springs. From reading the article I can see where they would help with ride and body roll but I'm not sure about help with crosswinds, other than a reduction in body roll caused by a sideways wind force on a big rolling box.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:03 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #937
Typically, wind sway is corrected in a very particular order by the addition of accessories to the F53 chassis:

1. A Trac Bar, (connects the rear axle to the chassis frame).
2. Heavier Sway Bars, (or the CHF, (cheap handling fix)).
3. Improved suspension support/dampening, (like the Sumo Springs).
4. Steering Blow Out stabilizer.

1 and 2 physically control the coach box movement due to wind force. 3 and 4 work by improving the perceived feel of the movement to the driver, usually giving the impression of better control.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:13 PM   #6

Model: Windsport
THOR #4085
I installed the sumo springs after reading that same magazine and a friend recommended them. I'm on a 4000 mile trip as I write this now. I'm very happy with the sumo's, the ride is much less harsh on sharp bumps in the road. It helped dramatically win big semi's come passing bar. Now I feel them a little more than I would in my pick up truck, but I'm not blown off the road like I used to be.
I would highly recommend them , there well worth the money.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:31 PM   #7

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #3186
I have the 27.1 ACE and happen to live in a region that can see strong winds along with road dips caused be earthquake activity.

Passing trucks, dust devils and the above all caused pretty nasty side to side sway. So I had Summo springs installed in the front, front and rear trac bars and both axels aligned.

No more problems. In winds gusting to 30 a 40 mph we didn't know it till we stopped for a break. The EQ road dip at the bottom of a narrow valley with strong crosswinds - didn't notice this time.

If your coach hits a dip and in the road, especially when pulling into a service station, etc. and the front end really dips excessively the Summo Springs eliminated this problem without creating a harsher ride. They just dampen the severity of the dip - providing extra support. If your coach departs from a straight line in high cross winds or from a passing truck then trac bars are for you too.

If your coach tips in a side wind then as I understand it larger sway bars are he route to go. If the front wonders steering dampers.

When I discovered the problem I called the steering stabilizer factory and spoke to an engineer. He made the above suggestions for what I was experiencing and he was right on. Redlands RV installed them and did the alignment - very very professional.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:16 PM   #8
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubysdad View Post
I am new to Class A motorhomes and purchased a 2016 Thor Windsport last year. My wife is very sensitive to side winds which seem to have an effect on this unit as it probably does on other brands. In doing some research and reading an artilcle in the newest edition of Motorhome magazine, I am reading claims that
Maxim SumoSprings can help with this issue along with general ride comfort. Has anyone purchased SumoSprings and has it been helpful with sway caused by winds?
Go to Amazon and search SumoSprings...all their models are there and reviews on them.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:36 AM   #9

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
I have the 27.1 ACE and happen to live in a region that can see strong winds along with road dips caused be earthquake activity.

Passing trucks, dust devils and the above all caused pretty nasty side to side sway. So I had Summo springs installed in the front, front and rear trac bars and both axels aligned.

No more problems. In winds gusting to 30 a 40 mph we didn't know it till we stopped for a break. The EQ road dip at the bottom of a narrow valley with strong crosswinds - didn't notice this time.

If your coach hits a dip and in the road, especially when pulling into a service station, etc. and the front end really dips excessively the Summo Springs eliminated this problem without creating a harsher ride. They just dampen the severity of the dip - providing extra support. If your coach departs from a straight line in high cross winds or from a passing truck then trac bars are for you too.

If your coach tips in a side wind then as I understand it larger sway bars are he route to go. If the front wonders steering dampers.

When I discovered the problem I called the steering stabilizer factory and spoke to an engineer. He made the above suggestions for what I was experiencing and he was right on. Redlands RV installed them and did the alignment - very very professional.
Why only on the front, is that what was recommended?
Old 05-03-2016, 01:40 AM   #10

THOR #4085
I only went with the front because they're expensive and I wanted to see if there would be a difference before I invested in the back also. I've driven 1500 miles in the last week,
and they perform great. I pull a 5000 pound enclosed box trailer and that keeps the back end pretty soft , I doubt if I get the ones for the rear I don't feel that I need them.
But I do believe that the ones for their front were well worth the money.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:50 AM   #11

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
I have yet to find a bad review on the Sumo Springs Maxim product line. I have searched the last few weeks, and read on many RV forums on satisfied F53 coach owners how much it has improved the ride, handling, sway and bounce.

I ordered a set today for my coach. 22k chassis. A set of 4 shipped to my door for just under $1200.

My colleague has a 2014 Jayco 31U on the 18k chassis. He also mentions the same issues with his coach which is equipped with "J-ride". He has agreed to assist me on the install of the Sumo Springs Maxim front and rear.

I will do a before road test video, an intallation video and after install road test video. South Louisiana has THE WORST ROADS in the country. Anyone who has traveled on I-10 can testify, so we have great test roads!

Hopefully they will arrive for next weekend so I can begin the process.
Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:00 AM   #12

THOR #2073
https://youtu.be/8V7-0n1Etvg

Front and rear installation videos.
Montz, Louisiana
Old 05-08-2016, 12:27 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Reading this forum it appears to me that if a person was looking to buy a new motorhome, and wanted to ensure acceptable handling by installing often-recommended suspension upgrades, they would also budget for the following -- beyond the free alignment, tire air pressure, etc.:

Steering stabilizer w/ self-centering feature
Heavier front and rear sway bars
Rear track bar
Front track bar on F53 if not already provided
SumoSprings

Any idea how much all these upgrades would cost for a typical F53 chassis?
Old 05-08-2016, 05:45 PM   #14

THOR #4085
In my particular situation this is what I paid.
Safe T steer- $550 Amazon
Rear track bar $495 Amazon
Rear (cheap handling fix) $00
Sumo springs front. $590 Amazon
5-star tuner. $423. Local off-road shop.
I installed everything myself so I didn't have to pay for installation.
The front safe T steer was a little difficult I did not have help, if you're going to attempt this by yourself definitely get help.
Everything else was pretty straightforward and not too bad.
Overall everything I've done is been very good and I'm very happy with it all.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #15

State: Massachusetts
THOR #4244
Following this discussion, as I see all this stuff in my "future' .

Thanks for the helpful advise ...!!!
Old 05-10-2016, 04:12 PM   #16

State: Texas
THOR #2121
It's difficult to accept that manufacturers build motorhomes that are so difficult to drive due to poor design. Granted not everyone will be able to drive a 40-foot bus regardless of how well they are designed and built, but many of these poor handling issues are predictable.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:14 AM   #17

THOR #2073
Sumosprings update:

I installed the front set this afternoon. It took about 2 hours from start to finish with a basic set of tools. The most difficult part was taking off the OEM bump stops from the chassis. The You Tube video is pretty good reference along with the instructions included with the kit. I also checked my front wheel bearings while the wheels were off the ground. No burnt smell or wobble in the hubs...nice and smooth!

Tomorrow I will be tackling the rear set. The most difficult part? Definately drilling the holes in the chassis!

I'll give another update tomorrow!
Montz, Louisiana
Old 05-24-2016, 02:34 AM   #18

THOR #2073
Sumo Springs installed!

Took it for a test drive, and it was a huge difference in stock handling. I verified my tire pressure and checked they were all at 95psi.

The hardest part was drilling the chassis. The fronts only required one hole, however the rears require 4. Also, there was some wiring and lines I had to work around in order to drill the holes.

All together, it was a 6 hour ordeal from start to finish. I spread the work out a few days due to my drills rechargeable batteries could not stand the punishment of the 8 holes I had to drill in the chassis!

The coach drives much better. No more bridge expansion joint "hop" on the front end, the sway is tightly controlled on turns and when changing lanes. I took it for an hour test drive, so thus far, im very satisfied with my purchase.

Happy Travels!
Montz, Louisiana
Old 05-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #19

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
What is the "Rear Cheap Handling Fix" I keep seeing referenced? Is is specific to only the larger units like the Windsport?

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #20

State: Iowa
THOR #4000
have a ace 29.4 tires say 110 cold inside sticker says 82 cold which one is right?