Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2018, 10:54 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
One experience the battery died on my truck after I set up at the campsite with my fifth wheel. Called one roadside assistance but they would only cover the jump if the truck was hooked to the vehicle. Called another and they promptly sent out someone at no charge. The lesson is read the entire contract and the fine print only way to know what you are getting.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:54 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Road service contracts and extended warranties are a waste, until they are not! You know the agents and companies make big profits on them and many policyholders don't ever make a claim. That said, like any insurance, you can find people who made out well with their policy.

I took out a policy with GS when the tires on our last coach, a Class A, were getting near their life expectancy. Sure enough, blew a front left tire. That coach had no safety steer, yet pulled off to the shoulder without danger. GS delivered and installed a truck with a new tire and we were on the road in 4 hours.

On our next trip, in a few weeks, a second tire blew, right rear inside. TPMS showed they didn't lose pressure or gain heat, just blew from old age, both times. Again, GS delivered a second, matching new tire and we were again on the road in 4 hours. At our next stop, I replaced the other 4. Cost of the road service tires? Exactly the same per tire as the 4 at the tire shop.

That was 5 years ago, and we haven't carried or needed road service since. Perhaps when the tires on our Vegas get to be close to 5 years old, we'll enroll in road service again!

PS. I'm thinking of all the thousands of motor homes I have seen on the road and the handful I have seen being towed over all our RVing years.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:33 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I suppose that we should ask ourselves how much "peace of mind" is worth...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote