Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2019, 03:46 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
roof a/c engine a/c

So my last trip out the engine a/c didn't work just blows warm air so I followed the line from the compressor to condenser to evap and saw no leaks,the tag by the expansion valve says 2.9lb Freon so I hooked up my recycle machine and got 0lb 0oz pulled it down to full vaccum for 1 hr closed valves for 10min everything held so charged 2.9lbs liquid to high side and it works great also added 1oz of dye and the next day the rear roof a/c quit working but the blower works just the compressor not kicking in could be start capacitor or maybe low on Freon (not sure what it uses)
Got to my destination and put the blind down on front windshield and now wont go up I can hear the relays clicking so how or can the motor in these be replaced. and on top of all this my windshield got cracked.

The engine a/c i'm capable of repairing not sure on roof top unit
Any thoughts before I get into this?

Old 07-21-2019, 08:37 AM   #2

Model: Allegro Open Road
State: Florida
THOR #8069
If it's somthing simple like a capasitor no problem, if its a compressor or a major leak, I would replace the unit, depending on age (out of warantee) I purchased one for my Windsport 29m in January was 650.00 delivered to my door. Very easy to swap out, had to use a front end loader to get it on the roof.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:47 AM   #3

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1Z View Post
If it's somthing simple like a capasitor no problem, if its a compressor or a major leak, I would replace the unit, depending on age (out of warantee) I purchased one for my Windsport 29m in January was 650.00 delivered to my door. Very easy to swap out, had to use a front end loader to get it on the roof.
I'm still under warranty but they said it couldn't be looked at till late August or if I can fix it they would reimburse me, I did check it today temps were in the 90's engine air is still cold and rear roof air came on and I heard the compressor kick in but wasn't nearly as cold as the front roof air so I think its a low Freon issue and small leak, anyone know what type Freon the roof air uses? my guess is either R 134a or R 22 on a 2015 thor Tuscany.