Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2018, 10:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Roof leak repair-caulking

Have a spot in the 2017 272 ACE that is allowing some drips on the driver's side right over the auto-leveler controls. Thor warrantys it for 90 for that sort of thing...very generous eh? So, what have you used that you consider a good caulk....preferably that Camping World would carry (gift card for there) and you know will work.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Dicor (CW also carries another brand) self-leveling LAP sealant. If you look at the back of where your fiberglass front cap and the roof meet you will probably see a crack in the existing sealant.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:44 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Might be at the top of your side windows leaking down? Check the window seals/caulk as well. I added clear caulk to the tops (and leading edge) of both of my side windows in the cockpit after reading may posts on this being a problem.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:34 AM   #4

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Dicor (CW also carries another brand) self-leveling LAP sealant. If you look at the back of where your fiberglass front cap and the roof meet you will probably see a crack in the existing sealant.
I've seen the self leveling advertised....thanks the tip
Old 11-06-2018, 12:36 AM   #5

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Might be at the top of your side windows leaking down? Check the window seals/caulk as well. I added clear caulk to the tops (and leading edge) of both of my side windows in the cockpit after reading may posts on this being a problem.
That's the spot generally, There is a design flaw in the ACE and the Axis...probably others in that family like Hurricane too. There is a drain right over that window and when the runoff is too much. it spills down to the window. The clear caulk should take care of that. It didn't effect the sliding window or screen when you caulked did it?
Old 11-06-2018, 01:57 AM   #6

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
That's the spot generally, There is a design flaw in the ACE and the Axis...probably others in that family like Hurricane too. There is a drain right over that window and when the runoff is too much. it spills down to the window. The clear caulk should take care of that. It didn't effect the sliding window or screen when you caulked did it?
Well the caulk is at the very top of the window (where the glass meets the body of the RV. I think the window seals are not tight enough from factory (or something like that). But my windows are very tall compared to yours so it might be different.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:21 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
If it's the window, silicone. If it's the roof, dicor.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #8

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Well the caulk is at the very top of the window (where the glass meets the body of the RV. I think the window seals are not tight enough from factory (or something like that). But my windows are very tall compared to yours so it might be different.
I'm going to do the roof and the cabover part and add some around the windows.
Thanks all for the advice.