Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: Illinois
THOR #5822
Routine Maintenance Repair Costs

Hello,

It is about time for me to have some routine maintenance performed on our Tuscany 45AT prior to our next trip. In my own experience, I have seen pricing all over the place for chassis maintenance, generator tuneups and AquaHot service.

I am curious to see what others have paid for this type of service work.

I have always taken the motorhome to a Freightliner service center for chassis maintenance. I have had the Onan generator worked on by both a dealer and a Freightliner shop. Likewise for the AquaHot hydronic heating system.

Please let me know what you have paid for these different service jobs...

Thanks,

Old 08-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
This is not a game for the weak of heart...
Good luck, and you're smart to keep up with the maintenance. It'll save you lots of money down the road!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:28 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdougherty View Post
I have had the Onan generator worked on by both a dealer and a Freightliner shop. Please let me know what you have paid for these different service jobs...
Thanks,
I only have a 4KY generator on my Vegas but just had it serviced to the tune of $138. And, coincidentally, the recent alignment I had done at a heavy-duty trucking service shop was the same cost.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:29 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calman View Post
I only have a 4KY generator on my Vegas but just had it serviced to the tune of $138. And, coincidentally, the recent alignment I had done at a heavy-duty trucking service shop was the same cost.
So what do you get for service on the Onan for $138?
My guess is oil change + filter (if equipped. newer models no filter)check and clean air filter, replace spark plug and fuel filter. Do they pull the valve cover and adjust the lash also? Just curious as my prior MH had a Generac and I performed annual service myself for the 12 years we had the rig. Does the Onan require anything a DIY guy can’ t handle?
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:13 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
So what do you get for service on the Onan for $138?
My guess is oil change + filter (if equipped. newer models no filter)check and clean air filter, replace spark plug and fuel filter. Do they pull the valve cover and adjust the lash also? Just curious as my prior MH had a Generac and I performed annual service myself for the 12 years we had the rig. Does the Onan require anything a DIY guy can’ t handle?
Im curious as well.

I been doing my own for the last two years. Its runs great but I always make sure I have fuel treatment in the fuel tank (and run the generator monthly) in the winter.

Its gets used always weekly (Either from trips or tinkering with the RV). I think that keep to logvevity (Regular use).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:15 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Hello,

It is about time for me to have some routine maintenance performed on our Tuscany 45AT prior to our next trip. In my own experience, I have seen pricing all over the place for chassis maintenance, generator tuneups and AquaHot service.

I have always taken the motorhome to a Freightliner service center for chassis maintenance. I have had the Onan generator worked on by both a dealer and a Freightliner shop. Likewise for the AquaHot hydronic heating system.

Thanks,
I dont have a DP but It seems like the "RV Geeks" have a youtube on thier maintenance. Check them out. Lots of useful info for everyone.

I know DP mantaince is pricey but I would expect $300+ without parts?? Hopefully other DP owners can chime in for you.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:50 PM   #7

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks,
Having read hundreds of post on IRV2 regarding your question, the cost is truly all over the map and seems to depend on the attitude of the service writer on a given day

What the common thread is ask before having the service done. I had my generator serviced in a Freightliner Oasis shop in Northern Arkansas and it was 240 bucks as I didn't ask. I stayed to talk to the service manager who was tied up until the cashier left and then he says you should have said something, OK

the number is whatever the market can bear and what they think they can get buy with unless it is posted as some shops actually do

The local Sapp Brothers truck shop is the best place for typical Chassis and Engine service near where I have my MH stored in my shop

I change my own nozzle and filter on the Aqua Hot and clean it so no help there

Nothing but oil and filters typically for the generator unless very high hours
Old 08-20-2019, 12:42 PM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I took coach to Ford Commercial Truck dealer for the first oil change and service...just for the records ($295). I also took the generator to the Cummins Onan shop for it's first service and inspection/adjustments...just for the records ($228). I'll do everything myself going forward...not so much for the savings but the convenience. It's mostly based on your skill and knowledge levels of your systems.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote