Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2016, 12:38 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34P
State: California
THOR #5941
Sewer port is set too close to outlet

My new Windsport 34P's sewer outlet port is too close the the sewer drain. See attached pic.

There is no way I can attach a sewer hose to the drain and feed it though the bottom port, without crimping the heck out of the hose.

I was hoping the sewer drain port would swivel, but no luck. The sewer port is fixed in place.

I think the Thor employee must have been far sighting when he cut the hole for the drain port.

Any ideas, vs having to go back to the dealer to get the hole recut, etc?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1102.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	3447  

Old 12-03-2016, 12:52 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Bulldog,

If yours is like mine unscrew the top of big round port in the the floor portion of the sewer outlet box. Be careful it has shart screws sticking out the bottom side (Look up and under your RV).

The actual outlet should rotate down and point out towards the hole that just opened up after you removed the round top...but it takes some effort the first few times. Also I remove the cover cap before trying to rotate as my unit is real tight for space. Now things should go smoother and I used some WD40 this year to keep things moving. Also I got a 45 degree and a 90 degree adapter to attach (depending on the amount of vertical height available for the "stinky slinky") to the part that you just rotated down and out of the opening in the bottom.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:02 AM   #3

THOR #5941
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Bulldog,

If yours is like mine unscrew the top of big round port in the the floor portion of the sewer outlet box. Be careful it has shart screws sticking out the bottom side (Look up and under your RV).

The actual outlet should rotate down and point out towards the hole that just opened up after you removed the round top...but it takes some effort the first few times. Also I remove the cover cap before trying to rotate as my unit is real tight for space. Now things should go smoother and I used some WD40 this year to keep things moving. Also I got a 45 degree and a 90 degree adapter to attach (depending on the amount of vertical height available for the "stinky slinky") to the part that you just rotated down and out of the opening in the bottom.

Doc

Where is the rotation point on your outlet? I see no swivel type joints on my outlet hose. I did try to push down on the outlet pipe, but it was moving both the grey and black water tanks, so I don't think the windsport's sewer outlet can rotate.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:07 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The outlet will swivel where it's attached to the drain valves on each side. If the drain doesn't move the four screws on each valve may be to tight, loosen them a "little" and spray some silicone around the joints to loosen the connections.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:08 AM   #5

THOR #5941
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogpilot View Post
Where is the rotation point on your outlet? I see no swivel type joints on my outlet hose. I did try to push down on the outlet pipe, but it was moving both the grey and black water tanks, so I don't think the windsport's sewer outlet can rotate.
uhm... never mind. I am an idiot. I was trying to rotate the entire assembly. Once I followed your advice and looked under the outlet port, I could see the rotation points are on the inside of the two gate valves. Doh..

As others have said, a sticker saying, I rotate would be a nice have.

Thanks much for the advice.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:09 AM   #6

THOR #5196
We all have senior moments on occasion! Lol
Old 12-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #7

THOR #2142
BullDogpilot,
I did manage to bend/force the stinky slinky on and out of the door of the sewer bay the first day I hooked it up. Fortunately, later that evening just after sunset the gentleman in the adjorning site noted my mistake and - in a very helpful way - educated me in the correct hook up via the opening and the swivel of the assembly.
It was a very messy disconnect and reconnect as proper drainage was impossible and was followed by a long hot shower at the campground's shower station.
It was a lesson learned that should have been avoidable but does not need to be repeated by others. Glad to share the info and yes, a label indicating the rotation would be nice (or mention/demo by the sales staff).
BTW: I did learn one other item, do the sewer hook-up BEFORE extending the slide out as there is a lot more room to work in and fewer sharp edges and corners to find in the dark.

Doc

Old 12-03-2016, 01:35 PM   #8

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Doc, that reminds me of the movie "RV". Movie was funny, but I would bet in real life it would not be funny. Had something similar happen years ago when we had a trailer. At the last dump, I had forgotten to close the gray tank valve. When it was time to dump next time, I removed the cap on outlet and gray water soaked my shoes and pants..............not as bad as the other tank would have been. It happens and we learn from it.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #9

THOR #5196
Mcr, That is one of my favorite movies, never fails to get me laughing hard! When I lived full time in a large and popular rv park I saw a LOT of funny but sad things happen with new rvers.

Worst one: I was outside putting away BBQ grill and was watching a couple trying to park a 5th wheel, they weren't having any luck turning in to and parking their rig. Feeling sorry for them I walked over an offered to help, I parked their rig, got several thank you's and went back to my site. I had been inside for a few minutes when I heard a loud crash, went out and saw 5th wheel sitting partially on the now crushed bed of their truck, they unlatched and pulled out before putting front jacks down!!! Tailgate was folded in half, sides were badly dented, looked really bad! After helping them get rearranged I happened to walk around on the passenger side, there was a HUGE gouge down about 1/2 the 5th wheel where they had turned a corner to sharp and took out a stop sign. All in all lots of damage to truck and 5th wheel. THEN the guy told me he had BORROWED the rig from his in-laws!!! I would not have wanted to be in his shoes when he returned it, the truck and trailer were only 3 months old. Sure sucked to be him!!!
Old 12-03-2016, 02:07 PM   #10

State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Is there any room to use a elbow drain adapter?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drain.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	3449  
Old 12-03-2016, 03:10 PM   #11

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Mcr, That is one of my favorite movies, never fails to get me laughing hard! When I lived full time in a large and popular rv park I saw a LOT of funny but sad things happen with new rvers.
Right. Some mistakes when new to rving are funny and some expensive.
Yes, the movie RV ranks up there with the comedy classics like Long, Long Trailer, Dr. Strangelove and Blazing Saddles.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:32 PM   #12

THOR #5941
Im am lucky. My back slide is aft of the sewer door.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #13

THOR #4919
We had the same problem with out Siesta Sprinter. While I had it a the THOR Service Center, this was one of the items on my 18 item punch list.

THOR installed a larger diameter Hatch to remedy the problem.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:07 PM   #14

THOR #2142
Don,

I have both the 90 degree and the 45 degree to use when the verticle distance is tight between the bottom of my RV and the top of the CG's sewer connection. I got the 45 degree first but at one of our favorite fishing spots space was tight so I got the 90 degree one. Both have worked great so far, but if I were to buy just one I'd go with the 90 degree.

Doc

Old 12-04-2016, 02:26 PM   #15

THOR #4919
On the Siesta the adapter would do no good. No room for either. I suppose that that is why THOR Customer Service center had no issue with replacing the existing Hatch with a larger diameter, free of charge.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #16

THOR #5196
The outlet port on our Tuscany was centered on the edge of the hatch, dealer had to remove the hatch, rivet in a new bottom and install new hatch centered on outlet. Now you would think someone would have noticed the offset at the factory!
Old 01-15-2017, 03:58 AM   #17

Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: Alberta
THOR #3806
I could not hook hose on my Tuscany either so now I use 2 90 degree coupler. I now connect the sewer hose under the compartment. The 2 couplers easy on or off
Old 01-15-2017, 03:59 AM   #18

Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: Alberta
THOR #3806
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang94@hot.rr.com View Post
Is there any room to use a elbow drain adapter?
Yes there is. I use two them together
Old 04-29-2017, 01:40 AM   #19

Model: hurricane 29m
State: Arkansas
THOR #7095
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Bulldog,

Doc
Well, this just saved me. Mine is just like the picture from the OP. I'd bought a couple of different elbows from CW and still couldn't figure out how I was going to connect other than just leaving the door open.
Went this evening and rotated the Y down, it moved pretty easily and now lines up perfectly with the cutout.

Thanks to all. Much appreciated!
Old 04-29-2017, 05:33 AM   #20

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
why didn't you just look in your owners manual? oh that's right Thor is to cheap to make one that covers the coach you buy. the 8 year old coachman RV that i traded in on the Axis had a manual that was 2'' thick. it only covered the model RV that i had. glad this web site has people on here that can help with some of the problems that pop up. Jerry