Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2018, 05:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
RV Hot Skin - Electrical Safety

I was reading in another group I belong to about an issue someone had with "hot skin" on his RV. He was getting a tingling sensation when touching the frame of the door. This can be an extremely dangerous situation with many possible causes. In his case it appears that there is a ground issue with his RV.

Here is some good reading on what "hot skin" is, what causes it, and what can happen if you have it.

https://yourfulltimervliving.com/rv-...of-a-young-boy

RV Electrical Safety: Part IV – Hot Skin | No~Shock~Zone

I'm sharing this here because when we went to pick up our Challenger from the dealer, my husband found during our PDI that the green ground wires were not connected to the frame of the RV. The dealer promptly fixed it and all has been fine.

Just something think about, learn about, and watch out for in our travels.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:23 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Any good EMS will catch most wiring errors. My previous coach was all aluminum except for the brakes, wheels and steering system (UltraVan). Hot skin was always a worry. There are small plugin circuit testers and voltage/frequency monitors that will alarm if all is not right. I learned to take my Digital Line Monitor from Automated Engineering Corporation with the proper adapters attached and plug it into the pedestal to check everything BEFORE I plug in the coach. Even with a hard wired EMS, I still check any electrical receptacle for the RV.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote