Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2020, 01:26 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: New York
THOR #18617
Adding seat belts in dinette Quantum RC25

Hello

New to RV’ing....have 2 young kids and I’m surprised most RV’s don’t have 2 seat belt locations in the front facing dinette. Has anyone done a safe mod to add one to a front facing dinette in a RC25 or similar RV? If not, how are people traveling with 2 kids in RV’s? Sounds like the rear facing seat is pretty much not usable.

Troy

Old 04-19-2020, 06:12 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Adding seat belts in dinette Quantum RC25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbrek View Post
Hello

New to RV’ing....have 2 young kids and I’m surprised most RV’s don’t have 2 seat belt locations in the front facing dinette. Has anyone done a safe mod to add one to a front facing dinette in a RC25 or similar RV? If not, how are people traveling with 2 kids in RV’s? Sounds like the rear facing seat is pretty much not usable.

Troy

I’d be surprised if the belts are not already there. Not to be insulting, but have you removed the seat cushion and plywood it sits on and looked underneath? If they are not there it might mean someone removed them (though I can’t imagine why anyone would do so!) and the mounting points might still be there. Probably on the forward facing seats at least.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:01 PM   #3

THOR #18617
Sorry if I wasn't clear. the dinette has one seat belt forward facing, one side facing and one rear facing. The issue is I have 2 child seats and the strong recommendation from everywhere I've read, is to only use the forward facing one since side and rear supposedly offer no help in the event of a crash.

So, I was wondering if anyone has done a retrofit (that is structurally sound) to add one more to the forward facing seat so that 2 child seats can be added in this location (instead of one).

If anyone has ideas that would be great. Also please let me know if the notion that the rear facing one offers no protection, is wrong.

Troy
Old 04-19-2020, 07:15 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Since you do have one that is facing forward: it gives you a good example to copy; when adding the second one.
Good luck!
Old 04-19-2020, 08:39 PM   #5

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
I searched high and low, but could not find any "L-shaped" dinettes to compare. But I did find examples of single or double forward facing seatbelts, so it should be doable?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RC25-1.png
Views:	102
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	23391   Click image for larger version

Name:	RC25-2.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	23392  

Old 04-19-2020, 08:50 PM   #6

THOR #18617
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
I searched high and low, but could not find any "L-shaped" dinettes to compare. But I did find examples of single or double forward facing seatbelts, so it should be doable?
Oh interesting! Looks like there is an option for this (somehow) from looking at the second image. Thanks!