Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2015, 09:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #2248
Schwintec Slide will Not come in

I was ready to depart this AM and the front slide will not come in! I have a 2013 Palazzo 33.1 which has the shorter front slide.
I tired the procedures in the Schwintec documents such as disconnecting the motors, punching the mode button 6times and holding in on the 7th but no luck.

Got 6 hefty guys over to push on it with motors electircally disconnected and we moved it in about 6 inches but not evenly so it stopped. Front was several inches further in then the back.

We managed to even it back up, but still no luck. I have a mobile tech that claims to know the Schwintec system coming out but not sure what he can do since the slide will not come in far enough to manually disengage the motors as in the Schwintec documents!

Any suggestions??? I have been in touch with Lippert and followed their suggestions. They also said have the mobile tech call them!

Old 12-01-2015, 09:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The slide controller should be located in a compartment below the slide. How many flashes do you get for an error reading? Number of red flashes between a green flash of the LED
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:40 PM   #3

THOR #2248
Yes, the controller is in the compartment under the slide.
Initially it was 8 red flashes "Encoder is not providing a signal. Usually a wiring problem"
Later is was 6 red flashes "Motor or wiring to motor has shorted out"
Always 1 green flash (motor #1)
We unplugged motors and tried pushing it in, but rear part of slide would not move.
Lippert says that the motor may be binding and stall and creating the error codes.
We could not get the slide in enough to reach the in-wall motors to disengage them manually.
Lippert advised that it is possible, not easy, to disengage the motors from exterior. The problem is the facia that has to be removed to get to the hex nut to loosen the motor to disengage, I am waiting on a mobile tech I called earlier and is due in shortly. I tried removing the facia, but it is too firmly attached, even after I drilled out the pop rivets! Hopefully he will have some tools or techniques to get that facia removed!
Thanx for your interest, I remain open to ideas!
Old 12-01-2015, 11:12 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If you have another slide on the coach, or the power drop down bunk, you could try swapping controllers and see if that helps. Swapping controllers however won't do any good if the motor is in fact bad.

On mine, during the maiden voyage my slide got stuck half way out and my controllers flashed an 8 code. My problem was Thor forgot to install the bulb seal that serves as a wire chase and the wire came loose from the motor. The mobile tech I used had me going again in 15 minutes and Thor reimbursed me for the repair bill.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:15 PM   #5

THOR #2248
I hope that is the case, but doubt on it based on the problems today. I will have tech who just called me and is less then 30 min out@
Old 12-08-2015, 06:16 AM   #6

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
So what were the results? Bob are you still out there?
Old 12-09-2015, 01:55 AM   #7

THOR #2248
Yosemitebob,
Thanx for your interest.
The tech and his assistant showed up and he was knowledgeable about the system. He accessed the rear motor but could not budge it! It was jammed which was why we could not get rear of slide to move.
He removed the motor, drive shaft and all other components and did the same on front motor. You would be surprised how easy the slide moved then!
Since I told him I only needed to get RV configured to move that is where he quit and secured the slide with a screw jack braced against the wall and the angle metal bracket on each end.
I have been waiting on the parts to replace the slide mechanism to come in and then replacing it! Had this one T-day trip planned and thought slide would keep working thru the trip - wrong!
While waiting for the Schwintec mechanism I am fabricating my own interior fascia around the interior of the slide. Replacing the cardboard fake wood pieces with real pieces of wood routed out and stained to match the other wood.

Based on expected date of arrival of the slide mechanism we hope to hit the road for some winter travel mid-Jan. Time will tell!
Old 12-09-2015, 05:35 AM   #8

THOR #3195
Bob, thanks for the update. What year is your Palazzo? I don't recall hearing others with similar problems with theirs, I thought this was a four winds problem in 2012-2014. Sounds like the same deal.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:30 AM   #9

THOR #2248
2013 Palazzo 33.1
I looked also and found mainly problems with the full wall slides.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:12 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
There seems to be strong opinions on both sides of discussion on whether slides are worth it or not. I'd expect that -- given we are all so different.

What I don't quite understand is manufacturers essentially ignoring those that prefer coaches with no slides. Even if manufacturers thought that the slideless crowd was driven by irrational fear of problems that are too rare to worry about, wouldn't they try to sell them the motorhome they want anyway?

If so, it suggests manufacturers think slideless buyers would represent an incredibly small percentage of all new buyers. Too small to dedicate a few floorplans across some models to their needs.

This FMCA discussion was interesting to read.

Slide On New Coach... Yes Or No? - Slideouts - FMCA Motorhome Forums
Old 12-12-2015, 01:09 AM   #11

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by ournextstop View Post
2013 Palazzo 33.1
I looked also and found mainly problems with the full wall slides.
Not all slides are created equally. We had a very long slide on a 2000 Holiday Ramble Endeavor that worked quite well. Except when a bolt that locks the drive mechanism weakened and sheared off. The fix was simple, I drilled out the mechanism and inserted a larger diameter bolt. Also if the slide motor failed it could be easily moved in or out with a ratchet or electric drill and socket.

However, the slide system on our 2015 Windsport is much more complicated and fragile looking, with four separate motors. I think it is destine to fail and getting it back in might not be easy or possible.

For those who travel more than they camp or stay in an RV, one without a slide out could be a good option.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:30 PM   #12

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
...cut...

For those who travel more than they camp or stay in an RV, one without a slide out could be a good option.
There is that, which describes us perfectly, but also that motorhomes feel like a cluttered mess to me when slides are in. Nothing seems to be in the right place, and that's important to us since we spend so much time in RV in travel configuration. I know this isn't a common issue because it's rarely reported or listed as a slide disadvantage.

It would be interesting to have a thread with pictures of motorhome interiors with slides retracted. It seems the more room manufacturers add with slides the less there is when they are in.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:12 PM   #13

THOR #3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
There is that, which describes us perfectly, but also that motorhomes feel like a cluttered mess to me when slides are in. Nothing seems to be in the right place, and that's important to us since we spend so much time in RV in travel configuration. I know this isn't a common issue because it's rarely reported or listed as a slide disadvantage.

It would be interesting to have a thread with pictures of motorhome interiors with slides retracted. It seems the more room manufacturers add with slides the less there is when they are in.
Very interesting, in our last 5th wheel (I traded it for the C) we had three slides. If I stopped in a truck stop or rest stop, to have lunch I would have to open both main floor slides jut to get to the kitchen. Other drivers really loved me when I would take two lanes in a rest stop. My "C" I can now get down the middle for lunch, or to rest, or whatever. There is a minor inconvenience without the slide out. There is now only one and it only opens I believe 18" or 20".
Old 12-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob
Very interesting, in our last 5th wheel (I traded it for the C) we had three slides. If I stopped in a truck stop or rest stop, to have lunch I would have to open both main floor slides jut to get to the kitchen.
Our 5th wheel was like this as well. We only had one slide though, but you had to put it out to use anything in the kitchen, or get to the back bedroom.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:54 PM   #15

THOR #2121
Trailers would be a little different for me because you don't ride in them or spend much time in them unless they are set up for overnight stay, so retracted slide interference during day travel isn't as much of a disadvantage.

Having said that, it's hard for me to appreciate my sister's new 40+ foot long 5th wheel that must have a slide extended just to open bathroom door. How can anyone design a trailer that large and not make toilet stops during day a little more convenient? Obviously they are designed primarily for use at destination, but that shouldn't preclude better use while on road.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:39 AM   #16

THOR #2817
Our RV can be used without opening the slide. It is cramped and inconvenient, and impossible to access lower storage cabinet in the bedroom. Also the bed (king size, Ha) is exactly as long as I am tall, so I imagine sleeping with the slideout retracted would be somewhat uncomfortable for me. But it is doable, otherwise we wouldn't have bought it.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:05 PM   #17

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: British Columbia
THOR #1350
I own a 2015 36.1 Palazzo. In the first six months Ive had each slide including the front bunk all fail and get stuck in the out position.
The mobile tech's had to remove the motors because they broke apart and prevented the slide from being pushed back in. My dealer ended up replacing all parts including tracks. They feel the slides were never installed or set up properly at the factory. The crappy part of all this, is how long it takes to get the parts to the dealer. My rig was at the dealership for 3 months getting all the warranty repairs complete.
We will see how the next season goes.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:23 PM   #18

THOR #2817
I have heard many horror stories about long waits to have work completed on RVs. But at least your repair was covered by the warranty. We had only a 30 day warranty because we bought it used. So far so good, I've beeb able to repair every problem without spending too much money. But I think all modern motor homes are like a time bomb.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:37 AM   #19

State: Tennessee
THOR #3372
Schwintec Slides

Just bought a 2016 Axis 24.1 and it has one slide. I did not get any documents with my Thor package of booklets . Do they come with any printed materials that cover what to do if you have to emergency retract one ? Somewhere I remember reading about blinking lights and codes but I think that was in the very generic Thor manual that came in my black packet bag from Thor. I noticed that the electric bunk that drops down from over the cockpit seats moves on the same type rails as the slide out. Is this a Schwintec system also ? Thanks . Nick104 in TN
Old 01-11-2016, 06:49 AM   #20

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick104 View Post
Just bought a 2016 Axis 24.1 and it has one slide. I did not get any documents with my Thor package of booklets . Do they come with any printed materials that cover what to do if you have to emergency retract one ? Somewhere I remember reading about blinking lights and codes but I think that was in the very generic Thor manual that came in my black packet bag from Thor. I noticed that the electric bunk that drops down from over the cockpit seats moves on the same type rails as the slide out. Is this a Schwintec system also ? Thanks . Nick104 in TN
Nick,

In your black canvas-type bag there should be booklets and brochures on most all of the components of your coach. You didn't get one from Schwintec?

We had a problem with our slide not long after we bought our Hurricane. We were able to reset the system, and got it working. One thing we found out was a "no-no" was doing partial ins and outs on the slide. That seems to mess things up badly. So now we just push the button, and let the slide come all the way out - and hold the button for an additional few seconds. And then we do the same when we bring it in.

Hope you can find the manual for your slide and get things fixed.

Tags
schwintek, slideouts