Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2015, 01:33 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #1393
Schwintek slide out problem ACE 27.1

Hello members,

I attempted to extend the slide out this weekend but it went out 3 inches then stopped. The slide was retracted and I attempted to extend it again and got the same result. Went to the slide controller and got 8 red flashes followed by 2 green flashes, which would indicate a "battery drop out". I hooked up a battery charger to both house batteries, which indicated one battery was 100% charged and the other 65% charged. I removed the 65% charged battery and replaced it with a recently charged 100% charged battery. I now have two 100% charged batteries and even my coach battery status meter indicates a full charge on my batteries. I attempted to extend the slides again and got the same result and the same error codes. I also noticed that the I had to press the switch twice to get the system to begin extending and retracting, getting nothing the first time the switch is pressed. Any idea what the issue may be at this point?

Old 07-14-2015, 05:52 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.1
State: California
THOR #892
Check all cables and connections, 1 loose / high resistance connection would render the same results..
Old 07-14-2015, 08:11 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I am not sure I always believe what the readouts say on this stuff. Sometimes the Schwintek slide outs can be "recalibrated" by retracting them (or extending them).

The video below may or may not work, but it is a simple thing to try. For example, if the slide is out of alignment, it could be demanding more current from the motors (especially if it is binding at some point), which can reduce the battery voltage if the load is too great - and be reported as a low battery.

Also, if you have two coach batteries, you should always replace them both so they are the same age, with two identical batteries (chemistry, AH rating, etc). The reason being is they operate in parallel without any kind of isolator between them.

When they are not the same age, the charge rates will be different on them, and at some point, one battery might drag the other one down. Since you found one bad battery, the battery you think is still good likely has been trying to recharge the bad battery. If done to excess, this could have also damaged it.

For this reason, the conventional wisdom is to always replace both house batteries at the same time.

Have you tried to operate the Schwintek slide with just the new battery as a test?
Old 07-17-2015, 02:26 AM   #4

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #1393
My bad... the 2 green flashes and 8 red mean an issue with motor #2 not getting hall signal. Lippert stated it may be a harness issue or an issue with the #2 motor. Noticed today metal shavings on the floor under where the motor/track operates. Looks like I'm heading in for another coach repair...

Called the closest authorized Thor repair shop in South Florida and was advised they have a 3 month waiting list. I am now customer #74 on the list, unfreakinbelievable!!!

Luckily, found a non-Thor RV sales and service shop, who told me to call Thor and get their approval and they could do the warrantee repair work. Called Thor and they stated "no problem" as they have dealt with this facility before. Cut my wait time to 1-2 weeks.. Thanks Thor.

I had also called other repair shops around Florida only to learn that no one has a parts inventory to repair RV's in a reasonable amount of time. Each one told me I would have to leave the coach for weeks to diagnose, order parts and finally make the repairs. I then have to drive back and pick it up 100-200 miles away... There has to be a better way to perform repair work on these coaches!!!