Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-06-2018, 02:04 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28z
State: Florida
THOR #5725
All of this is very helpful- dreading this project this weekend. Does anyone know specifically what size they replaced w? at this point i will just buy a number of different sizes.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:07 PM   #62
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
Don't know much about this subject about corroding screws on RVs (I was in the Navy a long time and they looked at this corrosion very differently- remove the screw, remove corrosion, replace with new screw, zinc chromate the area then paint the area), but can you also buy corrosion resistant screws or other hardware from maybe a boat dealer that deals with this all the time? How do the boat folks do it?
Boats will use stainless.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:41 PM   #63

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Boats will use stainless.
Yeah kinda figured that but good to know for sure.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:30 PM   #64

Brand: Redwood
State: Florida
THOR #17608
Replacing Schwintek mount screws with shoulder screws and z-clips

Like others, I have a Schwintek bedroom slide. The installation has a lot of sheared screws and I suspect other screws that appear fine are actually sheared 1/2" or more down the length of each screw.

I noticed the distance between the slide out front motor and slide out wall are too close and is causing some physical wear on the slide out wall around the motor locations (my first clue somethings not right).

While investigating the slide out wear, I wanted to ensure the slide out wasn't 'racking' and decided to ensure slide out motor synchronization. While ensuring motor sync, I noticed the frame mounted to the coach wall is flexing (yet not bending) back and forth, pulling the motor assembly away from its mount on the coach wall (and causing the motor to pull into the path of the slide out), then returning in place after movement has stopped. It will surely bend permanently if I don't resolve this now.

So...has anyone seen this behavior before. Based on some earlier comments in this forum I will be replacing ALL Schwintek mounting screws with stainless steel shoulder bolts and Z-clips.

I'd like to simply drill new mounting holes and replace the screws, but I've lost any trust the coach frame will endure the long term stress and will simply work it's way out).

Has anyone noticed similar movement on their Schwintek frames? Comments and recommendations are appreciated.