Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2017, 08:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Schwintek Slide Troubleshooting

Spent the day figuring out exactly what is wrong with the larger kitchen slide on my 29fe. The controller error codes tell me the hall switch is not working on motor 2. The manual suggests that it is a wiring problem. I have had some problems since day one, overcoming them with the sync function and manual over ride functions. Now it is a PITA.

I don't want to make a couple hundred mile round trip back to CW and would rather fix it myself. So I begin by ringing out the slide cable from the controller to motor #2. There appears to be a break in the cable on blue (hall signal) and brown (hall power}. Ok, fine but where. Most of the cable is routed under the slide floor against the wall. So I started to look for some sort of physical damage. There are places along the wire route that can not be visually inspected. Complicating matters, the areas I could see have wire ties screwed to the floor and no way to reach them. So getting to the cable to inspect and repair is on the impossible side thus far.

If I can get CW or Thor to send me a replacement cable, I'll clip the original and run it along side. It's just that I'd like to know what caused the break so it does not happen again. Also I absolutely dread CW messing with it. Probably keep the it a few months messing with it when I already know what's wrong with it.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:39 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah I'd start with Thor customer service and see where that gets you. You never know they may just send you the cable. At a minimum you can ask them for the wiring diagrams if you don't already have them.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:15 AM   #3

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
The Thor assembly personnel are not always that careful with routing wires that have to move. I had over half the lights and some outlets go nun-functional after retracting the rear slide. Turned out some framework under the bedroom floor came loose, so I'm told, and caught a bunch of wires. Required quite a bit of rewiring which fortunately was done under the warrantee.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
When we got out of wty I bought spare cable and motor just for such situations. Available on Ebay. Amazon actually has motor on Prime for under $130. Sounds like your pretty close to the problem. How about a long jumper wire to bypass the bad conductor?
Old 06-18-2017, 02:27 PM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Thought about that as a last resort, but I'd like to keep it neat.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:33 PM   #6

State: Utah
THOR #14985
Slide Out Controller

Where is the kitchen slide-out controller located on a 2017 Freedom Elite 29FE?
Old 04-23-2019, 01:18 AM   #7

Model: Synergy SP24
State: New York
THOR #11543
I noticed that you are in Florida. I had Camping World Ft. Meyers recently do a major overhaul on my slide and they did a fantastic job. Contact Greg, service advisor- he is excellent.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:23 AM   #8

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Original post (Florida) was in 2017..
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:11 AM   #9

State: Utah
THOR #12702
sorry about this late post and I hope you have found the controller already but we had problems with ours and called CW along with Thor with no results, I found our controller by accident in the very back of the box holding the shore power cable.