Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2018, 02:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #11774
Seal under slider to short

<2018 Hurricane 29M - 3 months>

Just noticed that the rubber seal under the slide is about 6 inches short and leaves a gap at the rear.

Just took the rig into CW for some warranty stuff and added this to the list.

They told me the seal is supposed to be short and there should be a foam block in the space (which there is not) and they would take care of it.

Does this make sense? Seems kind of fishy to me.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:51 AM   #2

THOR #11774
Seal under slider to short

Update: Was supposed to pick up my rig tomorrow from CW in Oakwood, GA. Guess what? It's not ready!

Took it in a month ago for 'diagnistics' on warrant work (all cosmetic) as well as some 'we-owe' punch list stuff left over from purchase four months ago.

During the past month they were to do the warranty approval and parts order. Once they confirmed all the parts had arrived, I took the rig in last week. I was not about to leave the rig in their hands for weeks and weeks for cosmetic things while they ordered the parts.

After several attempts to get a confirmation on tomorrow's pickup they finally called today at 5:00pm saying they were still working on one item and it would not be ready tomorrow as promised. They did offer to put things back together if I was planning to use it this weekend ... I said no.

When I pushed wanting to know exactly had been completed they finally admitted there were still a bunch of things not yet done and some parts still had to be ordered. To make things worse, they are not even willing to say when it will be ready.

I certainly don't trust them and will need to continue to hound them. Based on feedback from others on this site, I'm not at all surprised. I hate to say it but this is about what I expected.

I posted the issue related to the gap in the slide seal here and on one other site. Interestingly, Thor called me the other day asking about the issue and offered to help. I told CW that Thor had reached out and they did not seem to be all that happy about it.

Anyone have any other suggestions to fast track this?
Old 09-29-2018, 02:40 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
My 29M is like that also. There is a gap of a couple of inches when the slide is out. I'm not going back to CW for anything unless they are the only folks in the world to have what I need. As for Thor, every time I contact them they blow me off and suggest I go to Camping World or watch a youtube video. To me they are equally useless. I'm working on my plan to close the gap. Haven't figured what to do yet.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:52 AM   #4

THOR #11774
Let me know if you land on a solution.

Since I have my rig in for warranty work anyway, I figured I would give them a shot.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:03 PM   #5

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.irwin.59@gmail.com View Post
<2018 Hurricane 29M - 3 months>

Just noticed that the rubber seal under the slide is about 6 inches short and leaves a gap at the rear.

Just took the rig into CW for some warranty stuff and added this to the list.

They told me the seal is supposed to be short and there should be a foam block in the space (which there is not) and they would take care of it.

Does this make sense? Seems kind of fishy to me.
Too short? Really! OK my lower slide seal sticks out maybe an 1 1/2" in the back and somehow during the time it sat the seal moved foward and when I opened the cargo door underneath it got caught in the door when it closed. So when I opened the slide a little, it pulled the seal out about another foot. When I saw what happened, I opened the cargo door, pushed the seal back in, applied some super glue to the seal to keep it in place and while looking at the top seal it was stuck out about 3 inches. I pushed it back in, super glued it in place and cut off the extra length, so yeah there is extra.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:46 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I think most of the bigger RV "stores" are all the same as CW. They have back lots full of service work and the service writer counter stays full of new customers. The serious issues get the attention while the units with little issues sit day after day, week after week. The solution, though not appropriate, is to just fix things yourself or find a small dealer with great service and just pay them and move on...save the warranty trips for serious issues.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #7

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I think most of the bigger RV "stores" are all the same as CW. They have back lots full of service work and the service writer counter stays full of new customers. The serious issues get the attention while the units with little issues sit day after day, week after week. The solution, though not appropriate, is to just fix things yourself or find a small dealer with great service and just pay them and move on...save the warranty trips for serious issues.
Yeah, that worked for me. Found somebody in my town that was good and will continue going there. Dealer sent me an email to come by for the end of year work, which was already done. Hope they didn't take the message I sent back too seriously. Anamatically impossible anyway