Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2016, 08:25 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: Colorado
THOR #3679
Interesting how much larger the earlier windshields were; here is a pic I took in January 2015 at a RV show in denver and a pic of my 2016 - Vintage made mid 2015. Looks like ? 4 inches off the top?

Old 05-25-2016, 11:53 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkipper View Post
Interesting how much larger the earlier windshields were; here is a pic I took in January 2015 at a RV show in denver and a pic of my 2016 - Vintage made mid 2015. Looks like ? 4 inches off the top?
....cut photos....
I had not noticed before that the windshield wiper mechanism was also revised.

It appears Thor revised the wipers first while they still had taller windshield, then revised windshield itself later.

Looking at pictures on internet, we can also see that the relative alignment of the two blades can vary significantly between units.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:23 AM   #23
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
I had not noticed before that the windshield wiper mechanism was also revised.

It appears Thor revised the wipers first while they still had taller windshield, then revised windshield itself later.

Looking at pictures on internet, we can also see that the relative alignment of the two blades can vary significantly between units.
I hadn't noticed that before either. Looks like the new style is the "Euro" style with the wipers rotating in opposite directions vs the older parallel style where they both rotate in the same direction.

I'm sure there is no standard procedure at Thor for aligning the blades: They just screw them on..you know...like this..yeah that looks good. (As evidenced by the whole wiper topics in these forums.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:32 AM   #24

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
The first picture is an axis what is the second
Old 05-26-2016, 12:39 AM   #25

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Second is Vegas -- vertical light array.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:04 AM   #26

THOR #2121
Here is an Axis with new wiper mechanism but older tall windshield.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	2079  
Old 05-26-2016, 02:10 AM   #27

THOR #2121
And an even newer Axis with both the new wiper mechanism and shorter windshield.

What I really like about this particular Axis is the clean lines on the motorhome's driver side. There is no way I'd trade that for an extra 10 square feet of space if I could avoid it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	2080  
Old 05-26-2016, 02:22 AM   #28

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Chance,

What is the model of the picture you are showing? I'm assuming it has the rear slide for the bed...or is that a sneak peek at some kind of new Slide-less Axis?

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:06 AM   #29

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Chance,

What is the model of the picture you are showing? I'm assuming it has the rear slide for the bed...or is that a sneak peek at some kind of new Slide-less Axis?

Doc
Doc, I wish that was the case.

I presume it's just a picture of a 25.2 on a lot somewhere.

I've pretty much accepted that Thor won't introduce a slideless Axis. And that's a shame, because a lot of owners like you don't have a bedroom slide, and others don't have a living room slide, yet all of you are happy with your units. Some like me would be even happier with neither. Other than it would create a pricing dilemma for them, I don't see why Thor can't combine the two.

I do like the clean external side view of the 25.2. But I like the inside clean look while driving even more. I just dislike things out of place, which is what slides feel like to me when retracted.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:02 AM   #30

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I hadn't noticed that before either. Looks like the new style is the "Euro" style with the wipers rotating in opposite directions vs the older parallel style where they both rotate in the same direction.

I'm sure there is no standard procedure at Thor for aligning the blades: They just screw them on..you know...like this..yeah that looks good. (As evidenced by the whole wiper topics in these forums.)
Actually, I think your "Euro" style is my old US style from the 50's. My first cars had those same windshield wipers using vacuum power from the engine. They would slow down and almost stop going up a steep hill.

I have the "new" style on my 2016 Axis and they are shorter than the original ones. I replaced the top one with the longer 32" wiper I had as a spare from my 2014 Vegas. It gives more coverage on the windshield. I saved the one I replaced for the spare.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:32 AM   #31

THOR #2142
Oneil,

Where did you get the replacement blades, CW? Part number?

Doc

Old 05-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #32

THOR #1765
The company that makes the replacement is Tru Vision, PO Box 4112, Elkhart, Indiana, 46514-0112. Tel. 574-266-9430. The model # is TV8-32, their 32" model. The 28" model is TV8-28. PPL and Amazon sell them as well as other online outlets.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:06 PM   #33

State: California
THOR #1494
Interesting comparison in these photos. We have one of the first 2014 24.1 models with the bigger wshield. Within 2 days on the road, upper corner popped out and had to have it replaced. Gasket was torn during factory installation. No problem since except 3 rock stars we immediately fixed. Plenty of other problems tho'
Old 05-28-2016, 03:50 PM   #34

THOR #2142
I am at a Campground and ran into another Vegas owner who had to have the windshield replaced. He used a glass repairman out of Charlotte NC and was told it had to be"floated". I am not sure what that means but I gave Jeff my email address and requested he send me the repairman's name and number.

I also showed this forum to him for info and ideas.

Doc

Old 05-28-2016, 04:26 PM   #35

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
Interesting comparison in these photos. We have one of the first 2014 24.1 models with the bigger wshield. Within 2 days on the road, upper corner popped out and had to have it replaced. Gasket was torn during factory installation. No problem since except 3 rock stars we immediately fixed. Plenty of other problems tho'
We were lucky. We had one of the first 24.1 models and drove it 25,000 miles with no windshield issues except for one rock star in Alaska. I have a 2016 with the new windshield and I don't think anyone has had a problem with the new one, that I know of - yet. Florida has a $0 deductable for windshields, but I can't imagine my insurance won't go up if I have to have it replaced.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:17 AM   #36

THOR #1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
We were lucky. We had one of the first 24.1 models and drove it 25,000 miles with no windshield issues except for one rock star in Alaska. I have a 2016 with the new windshield and I don't think anyone has had a problem with the new one, that I know of - yet. Florida has a $0 deductable for windshields, but I can't imagine my insurance won't go up if I have to have it replaced.
Wow, amazed you went to Alaska with the first one. We decided not to try Alaska because every trip we have a major issue. Last trip, transmission went out and was in a shop for several dsys. Also, worry about busting the windshield doing alaska. We bought one of the first 24.1s on a preorder. Still love the floorplan. Just wish it was a foot longer for a bigger shower, then would be utterly perfect floorplan. Hoping some day the bugs will all be worked out. Hate the problems, love the coach
Old 05-29-2016, 07:24 AM   #37

THOR #1765
We had some early issues with our 2014 Vegas because of poor quality control and it being a new model, but we took it 8000 miles to Canada and back and 14000 miles to Alaska and back and the water pump was the only real issue on the road that was the RVs fault. We did fry our shore power cord and outlet in a Canadian park and I had to replace it in the parking lot of a Camping World in Montana, but if I had had surge protector, it probably wouldn't have happened. I have one now. I have had a few rock stars on my windshield, but I go one close to home too and they have all been fixable.

We traded the Vegas in for a 2016 Axis in February, and I have been much happier with the quality control and overall workmanship. I have had a few issues (engine alternator not charging house batteries discussed in a previous thread is the worst) but they have been relatively minor and I have been able to fix them all myself. The new shower is a big upgrade for us. We are planning to take off in July for 2-3 months for a trip to the National Parks out west in the new one.

We have had four RVs in the past 8 years and have taken two trips to Alaska, two to Canada and three out west from Florida. Don't let all the stories of problems on this forum deter you. Alaska and NW Canada are beautiful and worth the trip. So are the National Parks and the rest of our beautiful country. My advice is to get out and see it.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:36 PM   #38

THOR #1494
Great story, thanks for sharing!
Old 05-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #39

THOR #1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
We had some early issues with our 2014 Vegas because of poor quality control and it being a new model, but we took it 8000 miles to Canada and back and 14000 miles to Alaska and back and the water pump was the only real issue on the road that was the RVs fault. We did fry our shore power cord and outlet in a Canadian park and I had to replace it in the parking lot of a Camping World in Montana, but if I had had surge protector, it probably wouldn't have happened. I have one now. I have had a few rock stars on my windshield, but I go one close to home too and they have all been fixable.

We traded the Vegas in for a 2016 Axis in February, and I have been much happier with the quality control and overall workmanship. I have had a few issues (engine alternator not charging house batteries discussed in a previous thread is the worst) but they have been relatively minor and I have been able to fix them all myself. The new shower is a big upgrade for us. We are planning to take off in July for 2-3 months for a trip to the National Parks out west in the new one.

We have had four RVs in the past 8 years and have taken two trips to Alaska, two to Canada and three out west from Florida. Don't let all the stories of problems on this forum deter you. Alaska and NW Canada are beautiful and worth the trip. So are the National Parks and the rest of our beautiful country. My advice is to get out and see it.
Great story, thanks for sharing
Old 06-22-2016, 12:36 AM   #40

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #3591
2016 Axis with a 2014 Front Cap & Windshield

I have a 2016 Axis, the Vin# says it's actually a 2016.5 Model. I took delivery December 23, 2015 24.1. It's an E450 all my paperwork say 2016. I had a rock hit my windshield last week. I've been trying to get pricing and nobody knows what I have. When I called Thor Parts Dept, they told me based on the last 8 digits of my Vin # that mine was a 2016.5 Model Year which takes a Part #0330688(47"x82")which is the smaller windshield which came out in 2016 Model Year which starts sometime in 2015. That's what there computer shows in the Master Parts List. When I measure the windshield on my 2016.5 Axis it is 56"x79" Part #0279744(55"x82")the larger windshield made in 2014 and 2015 before the 2016 model year. This windshield is made by Guardian Glass Custom Glass Solutions but they say it is not available. The only windshield available is Part#GDNRV-0332 which is the cross reference to Thor Part #0330688. Guardian says they don't make the larger windshield but their logo and name with some numbers which don't include the part # in the center/bottom of windshield. Today I got 2 e-mails from the Thor Parts Department telling me two different part numbers after I sent them photos of my Axis with my Fat Max tape measure on the windshield showing my dimensions 56"x79". Bottom line I have a 2016 Axis with a 2014 Front Cap and Windshield. Tomorrow I am going to call Thor Customer Support and see what the are going to tell me. I expect a New 2016 Front Cap with the Smaller Windshield. I don't want the stress crack problems. Also after my first road trip in January 2016, I took mine back to the dealer with a list of problems. One of my problems was with the drivers side windshield wiper. It wouldn't wipe the top 4" of the windshield. The curvature of the tall windshield is too much for the wiper blade to flex. This is a common problem in 2014-2015 Big Windshield on Axis. Insurance is paying for the windshield but I hoping Thor will replace my whole front cap and I'll pay Thor for the windshield. Then I'll be a happy customer. I was disappointed that Thor would use defective parts that they knew were bad and hope they wouldn't get caught. Once again it 's good old American Greed, it all about the $$$ not about the quality of a product. I would feel much better if Thor does what is right and gives me what I deserve. I;ll post the out come.