Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2019, 02:37 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree: A couple of bags of ice in the tank; seems to help keep the problems at bay!

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:32 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Delano
State: California
THOR #18975
Help...

Took RV out of storage last night. Noticed a slight odor in bathroom so added ~1 gallon of fresh water and chemicals to black tank. Turned on bathroom vent and went to sleep in house. Walked into RV this am and the entire RV reeks of sewer smell - to the point it is not useable.

Yes, I did dump before storing - black first, grey second. Yes, I did add chemicals to tank before storing.

I'm trying to figure out what the heck happened? My RV is a new Delano (2020). We have put very little solid waste into the black tank in the three trips we have done, have always dumped before storing (black first, grey second).

Appreciate any insight here, particularly since I need to make a 3+ drive and a weekend of camping starting NOW!
Old 08-28-2020, 03:56 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
By turning on the vent fan; you probably were pulling fumes out of the black tank...
Did your toilet have a little bit of water in it? That would act as a barrier to prevent the fumes from coming into the bathrom.
(This is assuming that the sink drain isn't the culprit...)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:02 PM   #24

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
Check admittance valve and vent stack

New is the hint that helps. First, check your admittance valve (under the bathroom sink) and tighten if it is loose. If that didn't work--has it been windy, or even a steady light wind? Then likely culprit is the vent pipe being unable to vent because of the wind (same applies for smell when driving). Add a cyclone or a 360 vent topper. If no wind to block natural venting the vent pipe may have installation issues, too deep in tank, gap at roof, or other connection (or lack thereof) problems and you will need to take her in for service. Hope it's an easy fix.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:02 PM   #25

THOR #18975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
By turning on the vent fan; you probably were pulling fumes out of the black tank...
Did your toilet have a little bit of water in it? That would act as a barrier to prevent the fumes from coming into the bathrom.
(This is assuming that the sink drain isn't the culprit...)
Water in toilet bowl? Nope...also did not add water to sink traps for storage.

While I was working in my RV last night I was thinking "I love this thing, it still has the 'new car' smell!" Not anymore!

Many thanks Bob, appreciate the response.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:25 PM   #26

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
After fulltiming for 10+ years we never had sewer odors unless the galley grey tank was about full, it actually smelled worse than the black.
Traveled with the vents open, but put stoppers in all sink drains & plenty of water in the toilet, no odors.
Never had any luck with dumping ice in the toilet other than getting rid of a couple bags of ice. Dropping 2 -10lb bags of ice into a 50+ gallon tank I compared to adding 4 ice cubes to a tall glass of water, not much cooling & last about 20 seconds. I added 4-5 gallons of water & a good squirt of dish or laundry soap after dumping with much better results than the ice.
We had a washing machine draining into the bath grey so when parked connected to sewer the bath grey valve was always open or I'd be pulling the handle every other day from laundry & showers. I always dropped a sag in the sewer hose & never had roaches or rats in the tank nor ever heard of anyone that actually had that happen other than on the internet. But if it's on there it has to be true??
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:32 PM   #27

THOR #18975
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
New is the hint that helps. First, check your admittance valve (under the bathroom sink) and tighten if it is loose. If that didn't work--has it been windy, or even a steady light wind? Then likely culprit is the vent pipe being unable to vent because of the wind (same applies for smell when driving). Add a cyclone or a 360 vent topper. If no wind to block natural venting the vent pipe may have installation issues, too deep in tank, gap at roof, or other connection (or lack thereof) problems and you will need to take her in for service. Hope it's an easy fix.
ArrrV - Thanks for the suggestions. Checked under the sink - no admittance valve, just the normal drain plumbing I would expect to see under a sink?

Wind - yes, but really just a gentle breeze.

Vent on roof - nothing special - looks like a PVC pipe with a "roof" over it to prevent water coming in. (Took pic with iphone, but even that is giving me fits this am!)
Old 08-28-2020, 04:49 PM   #28
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Typically the bathroom sink also drains to the black tank. It is possible that your p-trap was empty allowing the vent to suck air straight from the sink (and thus the tank).

Make sure the sink has some water in it as well.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:16 PM   #29

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Anytime I leave the coach for a week or more, I pour a little RV antifreeze in all the "P" traps and the toilet. I find it doesn't evaporate like water. 101 degrees F and 26% humidity will suck the water out of the "P" traps in a couple days. Good news no chance of mold.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:26 PM   #30

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koho Camper View Post
ArrrV - Thanks for the suggestions. Checked under the sink - no admittance valve, just the normal drain plumbing I would expect to see under a sink?

Wind - yes, but really just a gentle breeze.

Vent on roof - nothing special - looks like a PVC pipe with a "roof" over it to prevent water coming in. (Took pic with iphone, but even that is giving me fits this am!)
Follow the p trap to the piping & look up the pipe for a fitting similar to the picture below, that's an air emitance valve. Unless the sink vents through the same vent as the toilet or has its own vent through the roof there will be this valve under the sink.
Click image for larger version

Name:	41FIosgE80L._AC_SY400_.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	25837
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:08 PM   #31

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Texas
THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Anytime I leave the coach for a week or more, I pour a little RV antifreeze in all the "P" traps and the toilet. I find it doesn't evaporate like water. 101 degrees F and 26% humidity will suck the water out of the "P" traps in a couple days. Good news no chance of mold.
Never thought about using it when it's warm/hot, but makes perfect sense...thanks for sharing.
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:28 PM   #32

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
When we used to have another house in an area where 10 percent humidity was the highest of the year, we used cooking oil in the toilets and traps.
Doesn't hurt anything and never evaporates.
Ran water to fill the traps and toilet, capped it with an ounce or so of cooking oil.
There used to be some swimming pool stuff which floated on the water like oil but wasn't oil. Really truly added about 2 degrees f.

And
Buy a cyclone. Easy install.
Of course if it's sucking stank from the drains cyclones suck lots more stank....

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:03 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
10 percent relative humidity?
Were you in a pizza oven?

Thanks for the vegetable oil idea!
Old 08-28-2020, 11:13 PM   #34

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
10 percent relative humidity?
Were you in a pizza oven?

Thanks for the vegetable oil idea!
Funny thing.
A bag of Portland cement is usually, maybe lawfully, 6 percent.
At lake Havaasu and occasionally here, the humidity is 2 percent.
So, the weather actually sucks the moisture from a bag of dry cement..

Heres an old pic from a nice sprinkly day in May....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170524_172019.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	25838  

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:20 PM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I take it that mold is rarely a problem...
Old 08-28-2020, 11:23 PM   #36

THOR #18975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Follow the p trap to the piping & look up the pipe for a fitting similar to the picture below, that's an air emitance valve. Unless the sink vents through the same vent as the toilet or has its own vent through the roof there will be this valve under the sink.
Attachment 25837
Travelin' Texans - looked for the fitting per your pic. Its not visible - the pipe does run into the wall so it may be back there but not likely - so the sink probably vents through the toilet vent pipe as well, right? Thanks for the pic, much appreciated.

Tried a number of things to get rid of the smell. Finally added 1/2 cup Borax 1/2 cup Dawn and 2 gallons water directly down the toilet about 1 hour ago. That finally appears to be working.

Cant for the life of me figure out how this happened though. The RV was at the dealer for weeks (warranty repairs - which they didn't do yet even after 3 weeks!) and when I picked it up the smell was just a faint tinge yesterday. But by this am it was horrendous. A friend asked me if "one of the workers used your toilet?". I don't think that's likely but....
Old 08-29-2020, 02:15 PM   #37

THOR #18975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koho Camper View Post
Travelin' Texans - looked for the fitting per your pic. Its not visible - the pipe does run into the wall so it may be back there but not likely - so the sink probably vents through the toilet vent pipe as well, right? Thanks for the pic, much appreciated.

Tried a number of things to get rid of the smell. Finally added 1/2 cup Borax 1/2 cup Dawn and 2 gallons water directly down the toilet about 1 hour ago. That finally appears to be working.

Cant for the life of me figure out how this happened though. The RV was at the dealer for weeks (warranty repairs - which they didn't do yet even after 3 weeks!) and when I picked it up the smell was just a faint tinge yesterday. But by this am it was horrendous. A friend asked me if "one of the workers used your toilet?". I don't think that's likely but....

Quick update for anyone with stinky sewer smell. This worked WONDERS:

"Tried a number of things to get rid of the smell. Finally added 1/2 cup Borax 1/2 cup Dawn and 2 gallons water directly down the toilet about 1 hour ago. That finally appears to be working."

Many thanks to RT Bowlin (wife found him on YouTube in about 5 minutes after watching me try all "my" ideas to fix the smell issue for~5 hours) for the recipe. You can find his site here:

https://www.trbowlin.com/bio-geo-method/

Truly appreciate all the responses to my questions - off we go!
Old 08-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #38
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks for the update and solution, and congratulations on getting this problem "behind" you.